How to Roast Bell Peppers

How to Roast Bell Peppers; bell peppers; red; yellow; recipe; vegetables; oil; olive oil; spices

This recipe or rather how to guide is an important one for us to learn. The reason is that once you start roasting peppers at home you will be addicted to the smell and the taste. I like to use roasted peppers in sandwiches, as toppings , to blend into sauces or soups, puree with other vegetables to create spreads, salads, and simply eating a roasted bell pepper will leave your tummy very satisfied.

The next recipe I will be sharing following this one requires roasted bell peppers so I thought I’d give you a quick lesson in case any of you don’t know how to roast them. You will also notice that I didn’t include measurements, the reason is that it’s really up to you. I also think that adding spices and herbs really enhances the flavors of the peppers. The herbs have been put under optional because again it is up to you or to what you have available in your kitchen. Sometimes I use all and sometimes I don’t and sometimes I use some, so you see it’s all about how you feel that day.

Ingredients :
Bell peppers (red, yellow and orange are the best tasting)
olive oil
salt
ground black pepper
garlic powder
optional:
dried basil
dried oregano
dried thyme
1. Preheat the oven to 200c or 392f , line a baking sheet with baking paper then set aside. Rinse and slice the peppers in half then cut off the stem and seeds. Mix the spices in a small bowl until well combined. Rub the peppers with a little bit of olive oil on both the outside and inside.
Sprinkle and rub in a little bit of the spice mixture on both the outside and inside of each pepper. Place the peppers outer side up on the baking sheet.
2. Roast in the center of the oven for about 30-45 minutes depending on the size and thickness of the peppers. Turn the peppers halfway through or once the top begins to blacken and continue to roast until the pepper is completely soft. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Once cooled peel off the blackened and rough skin.

Leave as is or slice or dice to use as you like. For the next recipe you may want to choose to leave whole or slice, you will see.

Ok now you are ready for the next recipe coming soon.

Comments

Hi Torontoview, Liv, Patty and Debbie – Thank you :)

Indonesia Eats, So you agree how yummy they are. I don't have a mole poblano recipe. Actually my family's mole is spicy and no chocolate involved. There are many varieties of moles but the Poblano is the most famous.

Hey Nancy, I really appreciate this post. I always see people roast peppers on their gas top stoves. I never even try to roast due to my electric stove, but now I will-in the oven. Thanks (smile)!

Yes, these basic techniques are fundamental to good cooking yet too often forgotten! Interesting that you add a bit of oil before roasting–I usually roast them 'dry'. Helps with the browning, I suppose?

@ Indonesia Eats, Oh definitely the only problem is that I've never made it myself . So I have contacted my family for the recipe and I'll get back to you:)

@Stella, I've only roasted poblanos and wax on the gas top. No problem, I understand how electric stoves can be limiting sometimes.

@Penny, coming soon.. , @Frank, I think it does , @Conor , good to hear.
    @Lynne, yummy!

Those look delicious. I have always done them under the broiler. I'll have to try them in the oven once the weather cools down. If you put them in a ziploc bag while they are still warm, and then place them in the fridge for a few minutes. It is really easy to peel them.

@Mysimplefoods-sure and glad to hear:)
    @Ravienomnon-Thanks :)
    @CityShare-Thanks for the tip will try that out next time.
    @whatsfordinneracrossstatelines- thanks, yes please do!
    @ Tanantha- Thank you sweetie :)

Mmm roasted bell peppers are one of my favorite ingredients but I definitely insist on making them myself instead of buying the kind in the jar. I'm picky like that :). Great job capturing the gorgeous colors in your photos!

You know I am crazy about roasted peppers, and like you I add them just about everywhere…But I have never roasted them in the oven like this, I have grilled them and done the oh so horrible mess of the stove top version…But this is perfect! But really Nancy, no fair teasing and making us wait for the next with photos like these :) Hugs, Alisha

@Xiaolu, I'm picky too, specially when you try the homemade version vs. the store it's usually no contest. Thank you :)

@Alisha/Magic of Spice, Hehe sorry for the tease :) You're so sweet :)

Oooh. Interesting. I roast them whole sometimes then I peel the skin off. I love the boiling pepper water that comes out of it. It makes such a nice addition to many pasta dishes. Yum!

Trackbacks