How To Roast Tomatoes

How To Roast Tomatoes or Oven Roasted Tomatoes by @SpicieFoodie | #tomato #roasted #tomatoes #howtoroasttomatoes #summer #fruit #tomatorecipes

Tomatoes are a fruit, bet you thought they were vegetables. It is a common misconception. Botanically wise they are a fruit but for culinary purposes are considered a vegetable.Tomatoes originated in South American then were spread around the world after the colonization of the Americas by the Spanish. Kind of weird to think there was a time when Italians didn’t have tomatoes for pasta sauce, isn’t it? ” In certain areas of Italy, such as Florence, however, the fruit was used solely as a tabletop decoration before it was incorporated into the local cuisine in the late 17th or early 18th century.” Apparently this fruit was once considered deadly and poisonous, another hard to believe fact. So to the first guy who ate this delicious fruit and didn’t die I say thank you for being the Guinea pig.

Tomato; Tomatoes; Recipe; How To Roast Tomatoes; How To; vegetable; oil; olive oil; garlic; spices; herbs; Spicie Foodie; Yellow; Grape tomatoe; cherry tomatoe; Roasted tomatoes; oven roasted; raw; fresh; organic; cooking; Recipe; tomato recipes

Another really cool fact I learned about tomatoes was the origin of the word. “The Aztecs called the fruit xitomatl (pronounced [ʃiːˈtomatɬ]), meaning plump thing with a navel. Other Mesoamerican peoples, including the Nahuas, took the name as tomatl, from which some European languages derived the name “tomato”. ” The English word was obviously derived from those native pronunciations. Pretty cool no? Actually if you have a few minutes to spare I highly suggest reading about tomatoes and their history it is quite interesting.

How

Over time the variations of tomatoes have grown extensively from their early small yellow ancestors. Nowadays the ways tomatoes are consumed are probably as varied as the species available. I don’t know about you but I just love tomatoes. Raw, on salads, as a sauce or salsa, cooked, roasted, sun dried, as a topping or as a snack, I just love them. Today I want to show you one of my favorite ways of eating tomatoes, roasted.

Honestly I can’t even remember why I started to roast tomatoes or how I got the idea to do so. I’m just glad it happened. The best times of the year to eat and get good quality tomatoes are in the spring and summer,(of course they are available year round), and this is when I eat the most amount of tomatoes. Roasted tomatoes are great to snack on by themselves or on top of a good bread or cracker. Well, really they are so versatile that you can really eat them as you crave. Over the next couple of posts I’m going to show you a couple of my favorite recipes using roasted tomatoes so make sure you come back for that.

Okay enough babbling here is the super easy recipe for my roasted tomatoes. Enjoy!, I know you will.

4.9 from 9 reviews
How To Roast Tomatoes

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

How to Roast Tomatoes. Easy vegan recipe anyone can prepare in no time.
Author:
Recipe type: Appetizer, Ingredient, Main Entree
Ingredients
  • raw tomatoes, halved and seeded*
  • olive oil
  • salt
  • pepper
  • thyme
  • oregano
  • basil
  • garlic,minced
Instructions
  1. Preheat 200c or 392f
  2. Slice tomatoes in half and remove the seeds. This can be done by ether scooping the seeds out with a spoon or gently squeeze between thumb and index finger, and the juice and seeds will flow out. *If using small cherry tomatoes the seeds can be left inside. Mix all of the spices with the olive oil in a large bowl. Toss the tomatoes to coat them well with the spice oil mixture. Place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper, making sure the tomatoes are hollow side up.
  3. Bake in the center of the oven for 25-45 minutes depending on size of tomatoes. They should be slightly browned and shriveled but not burnt. Allow to cool completely before using. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
Notes
The spices I never measure, it's whatever fresh or dried for herbs I have on hand. The point is to experiment and adjust to your tastes. As for the olive oil, you want just enough to coat the tomatoes not swimming in olive olive.

You will noticed that I neither specified how many or what variety of tomatoes to use in the recipe. This is because you can roast any type and as many tomatoes as you like or need. I us my recipe for large round tomatoes to Roma type and/or small cherry tomatoes. They all turn out delicious so really whatever you have on hand will do.Also the spices I never measure, it’s whatever fresh or dried for herbs I have on hand. The point is to experiment and adjust to your tastes. As for the olive oil, you want just enough to coat the tomatoes not swimming in olive olive.

The tomatoes will keep fresh in your refrigerator for a week or possibly more. Honestly they never last more than one week in my refrigerator because I just can’t get enough of them. I think they would also taste delicious stored in olive oil, but again I eat mine too fast to try that storage method.

Some yummy roasted tomato recipes coming up next!

Check these out:
How to use your roasted tomatoes :
Tomato, Sausage and Goat Cheese Tart by Melissa of Eyes Bigger Than My Stomach
Flaky Roasted Tomato and Parmesan Tart
Roasted Tomato and Gouda Strudel
Sunday Snapshots: Yogurt Pastry Dough
Roasted Tomato Basil Tart
Smoked Mackerel Salad with Roasted Tomatoes, Goji Berries, and Mustard Turmeric Dressing

Yummy Pics: A Food Blogger's Guide to Better Photos, Photography eBook by Spicie Foodie

Comments

Even I make these oven roasted tomatoes and store them in olive oil. Yours looks so beautiful nancy. They are an absolute feast for eyes :)

Hi Nishi, Glad to hear you also make them. I’m sure you’ll agree how delicious they taste. Storing them in olive oil is a great idea. I’ll have to make a batch just for the olive oil next time.

Your tomatoes look fabulous!! I’ve never roasted them by taking out the seeds, I normally just cut in half, season and pop it in my toaster oven. (Lazy I know). I need to try your method- cause those look soooo good!

Hi Lindsey, Thank you. I used to leave the seeds on the large tomatoes but found it really lengthened the roasting time because of the extra liquid. I’m sure they also taste great using your method.

Mmmmmm! I just made a batch and then a tart! Great minds! Yours look delectable and so much prettier than my photos! Ahhh… someday I’ll get the hang of food staging! haha! Don’t you just love this season of ‘putting things by’ ???

Gorgeous photos Nancy! I love oven roasted tomatoes- talk about adding concentrated flavor to what ever dish they’re added to- I like to blend them into a soup;-)

We had so many tomatoes in our garden this summer and I wanted to roast them. But, my husband and daughter kept eating them straight up with S&P. The nerve! Your roasted tomatoes look amazing! I might have to sneak some in my oven since I’ve got the house to myself again!

these do look awesome Nancy.

I’ve only tried to make oven roasted tomatoes once – using a Nigella Lawson recipe. It involved leaving them in the oven overnight. Followed it exactly, but they were so salty they were totally inedible and it really put me off.

I’ll need to try yours – could eat a handful now. Any going spare ?

Hi Sarah-Jane, Thank you:) Oh that sounds awful sorry it wasn’t a good recipe. I’m sure you’ll love these though. Sorry I’ve eaten all mine, no spare. So you’ll really have to try it now.

L O V E. Your pictures are just gorgeous and I love all the spices you used with these- I’m trying this with my next batch for sure!

I just love roasted tomatoes! I made roasted tomatoes from a Thomas Keller recipe and had to peel the skin. Have you ever done that before? It was my first time making them and quite a bit of work! I’m interested to try this recipe to cut down on sometime. Thanks for sharing!

Hi Julie, I’ve never peeled the tomatoes before or after roasting them. I’m not really sure why that would be required and can imagine how much more work that would add. Go on try my recipe and see if you like it or not :)

I have to stast roasting tomatoes…. Also maybe it would help making pale, tasteless midwestern tomatoes into gorgeous tasty tomatoes!

These look delicious and your pictures look gorgeous!! Coincidentally, my latest post is also on roasted tomatoes!!
    I loved your blog and would definitely love to visit here again!

Oh, how glorious these roasted tomatoes look…I can never have enough of them! Thanks for all the other extra information about tomatoes too, Nancy, I thought I knew plenty about them but it turned out I knew very little! Your photos as always look stunning, absolutely droolicious :-). I’m on a hunt for fresh tomatoes now.

Hi Sweetie, Thank you so much:) I’m glad you also love them and yeah I can’t ever get enough of them either. If I could send you a big box of tomatoes I would. Though I think they’d arrive as tomato sauce, hehe:)

This tart looks really delicious and I love the way you have arranged the tomatoes that makes it look so enticing. Thanks for sharing your beautiful recipe.

I would also like to send my heartfelt condolences to all those victims and their families of 9/11. As I watch all these documentaries on TV this week, I try to focus my hope on a better world that is blessed with peace and friendship.

There are a lot of foods where I can’t imagine what it was like to be the first guy to test them out – but a tomato! It seems so harmless now. These roasted tomatoes look perfect.

14. Naida Kargel says

I was trying to figure out what to do with yet another batch of tomatoes, when I thought about oven-roasting them. I started going thru websites when I stumbled on yours. I am in the process of this recipe right now. Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks!

15. Val Allen says

Wow, what can I say….never knew tomatoes could taste so good !!!! Thanks ! Just wish I had discovered it last year, when I had a glut of tomatoes….

What a great tutorial! I feel educated. And the photos are lovely. I have to say I am excited to have found your site- love that you have so many vegan options!!

Absolutely Wonderful! I cannot wait to share this delicious recipe with my family!!! I used the Roasted tomatoes to make open faced sandwiches on whole wheat bread with fine sliced honey roasted ham which I baked until it had a nice crisp and topped with mozzarella… Finally I put the open faced sandwich in the toaster oven and let the cheese melt… This was absolute Heaven!!!
    Thank you so much!

Hi Molly,

Perhaps you might want to try sun-dried? I don’t have a recipe for that but I’m sure you could find something with Google. As for freezing them, I would recommend against it. Though I have never froze them myself, I can’t image the texture holding up nicely. But you never know until you try it right?:) You could also store them in jars with olive oil.

Sounds nice, I’ll try this. And thanks for the interesting information.
    It’s funny that you mention that you don’t measure spices. I think this pedantic measuring down to the 1/8 teaspoon is something typical American, European recipes usually just list the spices and cooks season to taste, like you.

19. Sandra says

Love this. I frequently make a bruschetta, and these roasted tomatoes kicked it up that extra notch… It’s to die for!

Thank you for the post (even though I’m late!) Well done :)

Hi — thanks for the temp and time on roasted tomatoes — they are wonderful, aren’t they?

BTW, avocados, eggplants, bell peppers, and even walnuts are also fruits — ain’t language grand?

(I’ve known the old chestnut about “tomatoes aren’t a vegetable” since early teens, but it’s always good for a chuckle.)

Hi!
    I just want to tell you that I am super impressed by the time and care you take to answer each comment. That’s something only very few people do!
    Cheers!
    Rob

22. Lisa W. says

I live in North Texas and my kids and I started tomatoes from seed. We’re growing 8 plants, all in containers and are enjoying an amazing crop of beautiful tomatoes! Dozens more are set, the plants are still blooming so it looks like we’re going to have plenty over the rest of the summer!
    Love your roasting ideas and recipes. I did my first batch with Rosemary and garlic and served warm over wilted spinach and goat cheese. Wonderful summer salad!

Trackbacks