My First Fish Tacos

recipe; fish; tacos; fish tacos; cabbage; salsa; pico de gallo; radish; Mexican; easy; low fat; healthy; avocado; cat fish; Mexican holidays; food; fish tacos recipe; Spicie FoodieToday, September 16th, is Mexican Independence Day. I’ve written about the history in previous post here as well as recently in a post for my Mexico On My Plate column. If you would like the history you can read any of those posts or read up on Wikipedia.

recipe; fish; tacos; fish tacos; cabbage; salsa; pico de gallo; radish; Mexican; easy; low fat; healthy; avocado; cat fish; Mexican holidays; food; fish tacos recipe; Spicie FoodieTo be honest growing up my family didn’t celebrate or do anything special for el dia de independencia. Had we been living in Mexico of course we would have joined all the fiestas and partaken in the food feasting. It is not a holiday I mention to my anglo husband or one I make too much of a big deal about. But still we’ll take any excuse to eat Mexican food. We’ve been eating Mexican food this whole week as our way of celebrating. One of the meals we ate were these fish tacos.

recipe; fish; tacos; fish tacos; cabbage; salsa; pico de gallo; radish; Mexican; easy; low fat; healthy; avocado; cat fish; Mexican holidays; food; fish tacos recipe; Spicie FoodieI didn’t grow up eating fish tacos. These were the first fish tacos I’ve ever eaten or cooked. My husband was the one who requested them and so I just winged it. If you research fish tacos you will come across battered and fried recipes. They sound great but I was looking for a hassle free meal that would take little time to prepare. My recipe really isn’t much of a recipe as it’s quite simple. Feel free to play around with the spices and adjust to your own taste. Let the fiesta begin!

Easy Fish Tacos For Two:

radish, sliced
avocado, sliced
finely chopped cilantro
finely chopped onion
extra lime
jalapenos or hot sauce

1. Heat the oil then saute the garlic for 2 minutes. Add the fish strips and season, allow to cook for 3 minutes. Pour the lime juice into the pan and continue cooking until fish is firm, about 10 minutes.

recipe; fish; tacos; fish tacos; cabbage; salsa; pico de gallo; radish; Mexican; easy; low fat; healthy; avocado; cat fish; Mexican holidays; food; fish tacos recipe; Spicie FoodieTo serve:
If you have the luxury of having extra or plenty corn tortillas layer two together, place some of the cooked fish. Top using any of the suggested toppings and serve.

Here are a few other suggestions if you feel like joining in the celebration, or just need an excuse to eat Mexican food.

Micheladas recipe Ice Cold Micheladas

Chorizo Stuffed Peppers Chorizo Stuffed Peppers

Tacos Al Pastor Tacos Al Pastor

Mexican Picadillo Picadillo

The full archive of my Mexican recipes can be found here on Spicie Foodie or a small archive on Honest Cooking.

Other Fish Taco Recipes:
Travel Tuesday: fish tacos, Hotel California style by Mardi – eat.live.travel.write

Comments

Happy Independence Day to you! : ) I made fish tacos for the first time recently too. I broiled cod instead of battering it and frying. Anything to make it a little healthier so I can eat two. : ) These look fantastic. I love the Pico de Gallo salsa and avocado with the taco. Yum!!

Great way to celebrate Mexican Independence Day! Fish tacos are something I order everytime I find it on the menu because fresh fish in the grocers is hard to find here. Love all the fresh veggies you put in those tacos-yum!

I’m a huge fan of fish tacos! They’re an incredibly healthy and tasty dish. Well, healthy because I always eat un-fried ones. I’m a huge fan of sprinkling lots of different spices on my dry fish and then pan-searing them on the stove! I like using paprika, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, sugar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, etc. It just adds soooo much pop to the fish! I hope you enjoyed your first fish tacos :-) Buen fin de semana!

Awesome and very lovely pictures.. I love anything to do with Fish :-)

PS: Unrelated.. Who designed this thesis skin? yourself or it was a premade skin? I am planning to buy thesis, but the default theme is so ugly :D

Great way to celebrate! I had fish tacos for lunch yesterday and yours look way more delicious!
    I’ve never made fish tacos at home, maybe time to give them a try with your recipe, yum;-)
    have a wonderful weekend Nancy!

Wow – those are seriously your first fish tacos? They look like they would come out of a restaurant kitchen…absolutely perfect! As always, your photos are a feast for the eyes!

Great and healthy looking fish tacos! Am surprised you’ve never had them before, but I guess that’s a Mexican stereotype. I usually make fish tacos using leftover fish from fish ‘n chips, so the fish is breaded, but if making from scratch I prefer unbreaded, like yours. Happy Independence Day, btw. You’ve reminded me that we haven’t had Mexican food in ages – very strange for me since I usually cook it often. :-)

Hi Ruby, Thank you:) Hehe, yeah they are my first ones. My family didn’t live on the coast so perhaps that is why. That sounds like a great way of using up extra fish from fish ‘n chips, yummy!

I love love love fish tacos! The best I’ve had was just last month at a small cantina on Isla Mujeres. Ahhhhh…paradise. With fresh fish and perfectly prepared food. :)
    You fish tacos look wonderful! What type of fish did you use? I have some basa fillet in my fridge, and I think fish tacos will be what we’re having for lunch today. :)

I tried out fish tacos recently, and my boyfriend just wasn’t having it! They were wonderful ( my first time too) but I’m pretty sure he won’t let me repeat that meal. Your’s look wonderful!

Every time I see Fish Tacos on a restaurant menu, I order them. They are one of my favorite meals! I make them a lot at home and like you – I prefer the hassle free kind. Your tacos look fantastic and I would definitely order them if I saw them on the menu!

Am I late to the Independence Day fiesta? The days of feasting sound really good to me! To be honest, I’ve never eaten nor made fish tacos before but it seems simple enough to do and your photos make the tacos look so tempting. This will be on my To Try list, for sure!

Many congrats for making Top 9, Nancy!
    Xoxo

No Maya, Mexicans party for days :) Me too because there is always great food to go around. You should try them and add the Foodiva touch, bet they’d be great! Thanks sweetie:)

Lovely ! Look yummy & GF too. Hooking this up to my GF cafe with a link. I use inlinkz so it connects directly to your post. One of my GF clients was asking for Fish Tacos & this is perfect ! Thanks !

Trackbacks