Poppy Seed Plum Tarts, Czech Inspired

Before we get to today’s recipe I’d like to say something off subject. By now many of you would have heard that Mr. Steve Jobs, co-founder of Apple computers, lost his long battle with pancreatic cancer. I of course did not know him personally but he did change my life. He changed everyone’s life, he changed the world. Wether you own or do not own any Apple products your life was affected by his vision. There have been many copycats and products inspired by Apple products, things you come across in your technological world. Mr. Jobs was a visionary, he was a genius of a man. His passion changed the world and all or our lives. May you rest in peace Mr. Steve Jobs and to his loved ones I express my most sincerest condolences.

Czech; recipe; plum; poppy seeds; tarts; baked; sweets; dessert; kolach; cakes; pastries; bread; sweet bread; Spicie Foodie; healthy; almond meal; rumFor a very long time I would not touch poppy seeds. I don’t really know what my problem with poppy seeds was, they don’t taste or smell bad. Sorry poppy seeds for discriminating against you, shame on me. Those discriminating days are long gone and now I quite like them. These little blueish black seeds, which also come in a white variety, are commonly used by many people around the world. But if you’ve ever traveled to slavic countries you will notice that poppy seeds are very popular in the local cuisines, particularly sweet pastries.
Czech; recipe; plum; poppy seeds; tarts; baked; sweets; dessert; kolach; cakes; pastries; bread; sweet bread; Spicie Foodie; healthy; almond meal; rumOne day after hearing a friend go on about how delicious a plum pastry she had eaten the day before I finally decided to give poppy seeds a try. It was the same little round yeasted bread with a sweet center filling of plum and poppy seed that my friend spoke about. I couldn’t believe how great it tasted, boy had I really been missing out. The filling was sweet like jam and a little texture came from the ground up poppy seeds. There was also a taste and texture of nuts. From that day forward I was hooked and will dive into those pastries any chance that arises.

This recipe was inspired by those Czech plum pastries but it is not a traditional recipe. I have been pushing myself to become as comfortable with baking as I am with cooking savory dishes so to me that calls for experimentation. While these do not taste exactly like the pastries which got me hooked they aren’t too bad, if I do say so myself. These little pastries were really a combination of two different tarts that I remember tasting. Next attempt I will either hunt down a Babicka to give me her secret family recipe or there’s always the internet. Please feel free to play around or suggest modifications to the recipe.

Dough:
15 grams or 1 Tbs. fresh yeast
1 tsp. white sugar
2 Tbs. warm milk

1. Proof the yeast – warm the milk and mix in the yeast and sugar and allow to bubble or froth.

2/3 cup or 125 ml warm milk
3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup or 60 grams white sugar
pinch of salt
2 eggs
3 Tbs. Sunflower oil, *adjust if you like to melted butter and also amounts
1/2 tsp. Almond extract

2. In a mixing bowl combine the flour,sugar and salt until well mixed. Make a well in the center and add the milk, eggs, oil, almond extract,  and yeast proof. Stir and knead the dough until a smooth elastic dough. Set aside allowing to rise.

Poppy Plum Filling:
100 grams whole Poppy seeds
1 Tbs. ground Cinammon
3 cloves or pinch ground
300 grams dark plums,(weight is whole fruit)
4 tbs. Sugar
1/4 cup or 10 grams ground almonds (mine were left overs from Almond Milk)
1 Tbs. Rum
2 Tbs. Whole Milk
2 Tbs. Butter

Czech; recipe; plum; poppy seeds; tarts; baked; sweets; dessert; kolach; cakes; pastries; bread; sweet bread; Spicie Foodie; healthy; almond meal; rum3. Place the poppy seeds, cinnamon and cloves in a blender and process until the poppy seeds are broken up. Pour the poppy seeds onto a separate bowl. Rinse the plums, cut in quarters and discard the pit, then place inside the blender. Add the rum and process for a couple of seconds, only to break up a bit, pour the poppy seed mixture back into the blender. Blend for a couple of minutes.

4. Melt the butter in a pan then pour in the milk, sugar and poppy plum mix stirring until well combined. Next add the finely ground almonds to the pan, again mixing well. Leave the sauce to simmer and thicken under low heat, stirring now and then.

5. In the mean time, divide the dough into equal sized balls and roll out into flat circles about 1/4 inch or just over 1/2 centimeter thick. Press a jar or glass in the center of each rolled out circle to form a small well in the center of each circle. Place on baking sheet and fill the center well with poppy plum filling. Brush the edges with egg wash and bake.

Bake for 15-20 , depending on size of the tarts, or until the edges are golden brown.

As you can see the tarts are a yeasty bread with a sweet fruity center. They are great as a dessert with a cup of tea or coffee but they also taste great as a breakfast pastry. If you prefer a more buttery texture feel free to add more oil or butter to the dough mix.
What is your favorite ways to use poppy seeds? Do you have any savory recipes in which you use poppy seeds?

P.S.
I recently made Maya’s Pandan Wrapped Chicken, it tasted amazing. My husband also loved it and kept saying how delicious it tasted. Those of you that haven’t tried it, you really must and very soon-like today. Thank you Maya for sharing this fantastic recipe with us.
Pandan leaves; chicken; pandan wrapped chicken; Thai; recipe; Spicie Foodie

Comments

Oooh, Maya’s chicken looks wonderful!!! As do your tarts…I love poppy seed filling, but never thought to pair with plums. YUM!

I am in your camp on poppy seeds. Maybe I’m hesitant because they get stuck in your teeth so easily! In any event, this looks great and I love plums. I might have to break down and give poppy seeds a try!

Hehe, you are the second person that has said so:) Thank you. Maybe you can try them when you are at home so that after eating the seeds you can run to check for any left behind, hehe:)

I heard about him..he was genius, well all three of them who started the company..long story how they started but of course he will be missed for sure!!
    Your tarts look so cute..I always loved poppy seeds, and this combination with plum is so new to me..very beautiful, and delicious looking, Nancy!

Wow these plum and poppy seed tarts look fabulous! Delicious! I grew up in a Russian Jewish so plums, prunes and poppy seeds were part of our culinary heritage. But I never ate anything that looked this good! Gorgeous recipe!

Nancy, it has been a while since I last visited. There is a lot to catch up. This is a beautiful tart. I love how you present it. I am sure it taste a good as it looks. The pandan wrapped chicken is my favorite. You made them? WOW! The wrapping looks so pro. Good job.

Like you, I’m more of a savory dish person and would like to become more comfortable with baking, too. I love poppy seeds and I like the idea of mixing them in with the plum for a crunchy texture. Beautiful tarts – I wouldn’t change a thing – and stunning photos!

Look at you baking! Love it, and I guess I will have to hound Maya for those leaves, lol. Keep up the great work, wished I was a neighbor so I could taste any rejects. Have a great weekend.
    -Gina-

Hehe, thanks Gina :) I’ve got a long way to go on the baking thing though. Yeah we could taste each other’s extras or rejects. I’d have the better end of the bargain since you make so many yummy baked treats. You too have a great weekend:)

Haha, you are in the wrong part of the world to not like poppy seeds for sure! Good thing you came around. : ) Well, I never felt one way or the other about them but as a kid my husband spent summers in Vienna visiting his grandparents and he has fond memories of enjoying mohn knudel with him – basically a giant dough ball drenched in butter sugar and poppy seeds! I tried it when we went together, and I have been converted. I even tried poppy seed ice cream! Your plum tarts looks so cute – I may have to make them for him if he’s a good boy, lol. I have saved some pandan, I must make that chicken.

Yeah, it took me long enough though:) They also eat mohn knudel here but I can’t remember the name, I’ve yet to try it. Poppy seed ice cream sounds so good and would love to try it. Thank you! I’m sure you could do a much better job then I and perhaps your hubby could even give you a family recipe. As for the Pandan chicken yes you must! It tastes so delicious.

those plum tarts look delicious Nancy! I admit to not being a big fan of poppy seeds either, but you’ve convinced me to give them another try!
    Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!

I LOVE anything mohn and really don’t give a toss to anyone who has a problem with a few seeds stuck in between my teeth! LOL, but then you know that’s me… So happy that you’ve taken up baking, and pretty gorgeous tarts too. Gina and I are like mommies, we’re so proud of you!

The world lost a visionary when Steve Jobs passed this week. I now feel lost without my i-Everything, that’s how much he impacted my life. As for the pandan chicken, it looks gorgeous and I’m glad you and your husband liked it! (if you hadn’t, I would’ve cut down my pandan bush in frustration ;-)).

When you are enjoying good food who cares about seeds or what have you in the teeth! Lol, Thank you mommies Gina and Maya for the encouragement :) No Maya don’t cut down your pandan bush! Because when I come and visit you I will cut down half to take with me, hehe. Thanks again sweetie for everything.

As the official spokesperson for poppy seeds, I forgive you for your past discrimination and thank you for using poppy seeds in these beautiful tarts! Oh another note… r.i.p. Mr. Jobs–a true visionary…

I love the plum poppyseed desserts and was looking for a recipe to try at home. I recently moved to Prague with my fiance and revel in all the goodies I find local bakeries and farmers markets. Looking forward to giving them a shot.

Hi Sarah, Just a little warning though, this don’t taste exactly like the ones you find at the bakeries. Good luck and do let me know if you improved on the recipe.

It was very sad news about Steve Jobs and he was so young for such a horrible disease. He was quite the visionary and has left us with so much.
    So funny about the poppy seeds, glad you came around :) Your pastries look delightful as well as your dish from Maya…:)

Trackbacks