Maple Apple Cider and Gojee Drinks

**Thanks for voting this recipe into Foodbuzz Daily Top 9, November 13, 2011**

Homemade Maple Apple Cider by @SpicieFoodie | #fall #cider #holidays #apples #vegan

Autumn is in full swing for those of us living in the northern hemisphere. What other fruit says autumn more than apples? I think none…okay pears also but for the sake of this post let’s agree with apples. I hardly ever sit down to eat an apple. On those very rare occasions were I do eat an apple it’s either with peanut butter, Nutella, or almond butter slathered on it. Very healthy I know! Oh and if you expect me to eat an apple it must be peeled and cut into wedges. I’m weird and I just can’t explain it but that’s just the way it’s got to be or I’m not touching the apple.

Homemade Maple Apple Cider by @SpicieFoodie | #fall #cider #holidays #apples

Honestly they just don’t really appeal to my tummy in their raw state. But I do love to photograph raw apples because they are pretty and make nice muses. Can you tell how much I love photographing them? I mean it’s not like I went overboard shooting so many photos. (Let’s pretend, okay?)

Homemade Maple Apple Cider by @SpicieFoodie | #fall #cider #holidays #apples

Before you start thinking that either I’m a hypocrite for posting this and previous apple recipes, let’s clear the air. Cooked apples either with other savory or sweet ingredients, baked, as an ingredient in baked goodies, in a juiced state or in cider form I’ll never turn down. I know this doesn’t make great sense but like I said I’m just weird like that.

Homemade Maple Apple Cider by @SpicieFoodie | #fall #cider #holidays #apples

As a matter of fact warm apple cider is one of my favorite drinks. I love the sweet apple aromas that make their way to my nostrils and taste buds as I hold a warm cup up for a sip. The warming feeling you can feel as it makes it’s way from your mouth to your belly, love that sensation. On a cold and grey Prague autumn or wet and freezing winter’s night there is no better drink.

Homemade Maple Apple Cider by @SpicieFoodie | #fall #cider #holidays #apples

During the cold season warm apple (and other fruit ) cider is very popular in Prague. When we go out to eat or just to relax in a cafe I always look for it on menus. Unfortunately not all places have freshly made so instead an overly sweet powder cider drink is offered. By now most of you know that I don’t like drinks, or really anything, which is overly sweet . So of course I turn those sugary substitutes down.

Homemade Maple Apple Cider by @SpicieFoodie | #fall #cider #holidays #apples

This next thing is also going to sound nonsensical to you. When I buy apples I usually buy the 2 kilo / 4.4 lb. bags on offer. Why on earth does someone that doesn’t particularly love apples, isn’t much of a baker, has a household of 2 people plus  2 cockatiels that don’t much like apples either, buy such a large amount of apples? Beat me! Okay it’s the whole thing that they were on sale and let’s face it girls can’t ever turn down a sale, can we ? That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.

Homemade Maple Apple Cider by @SpicieFoodie | #fall #cider #holidays #apples

So you can imagine that such a large amount lasts awhile in my home and the ways of using them has to get pretty creative. But let me tell you those 2 kilos and bargain got put to great use. Not to mention that everything, yes nearly everything was put to use. From this bag I made baked apples, this apple cider, apple sauce, apple butter, and apple cookies. With the exception of the baked apples, the remaining previously mentioned foods were all made starting from apple cider. No, I’m not crazy… okay maybe a little bit, but I am serious. Over the next couple of posts I am going to show you everything that we ate from just one 2 kilo / 4.4 lb. bag of apples. Today let’s start with the cider which if I haven’t mentioned yet tasted awwwesome! It is the perfect drink to sit under the covers with while you catch up on your reading or your favorite TV program. Perhaps next batch I’ll add some hootch to it, sounds good. Enjoy this seasonally warming drink!

Maple Apple Cider (Unfermented)
Makes 3 1/4 cups
800g or 1 3/4 lb. sweet apples ( I used Jonathan variety) organic *
water
2 tbsp. maple syrup
1 cinnamon stick

*If concerned about pesticides use organic apples otherwise you can peel them first before using for safe results.

1. Clean and cut the apples into wedges, remove core and seeds. Place the apple wedges, cinnamon stick, and maple syrup into a deep pot. Pour enough water to cover the apples by 1 inch (2.5 cm). Partially cover the pot and simmer for 2 hours. At which time the apples should be completely broken down.

2. Pour through a fine sieve or cheese cloth. Serve warm or if consuming later allow to cool before storing in the refrigerator.

Save the remaining apple pulp for the next recipe.
recipe; homemade apple cider; how to make apple cider; holiday drinks; Holiday recipes; apple cider; apples; Autumn; Jonagold apples; warm drinks; drinks; non-alcoholic; easy; low fat; Spicie Foodie; low sugar; fast; Thanksgiving day; festive drinks; maple syrup
Use a variety of sweet apples to create your own personalized flavor. The variety I used is sweet with a light sour aftertaste so I decided to sweeten it with a little maple syrup. Before you begin taste the apples to give you an idea of how much maple syrup or sugar to use.

I would also like to share some great news with you today. Have you heard of Gojee?
Gojee Drinks, Goojee.com
Of course you have! Well, I’m really happy to announce to you today that I will be featured on their website.  (We are aware that my name is misspelled and that should be corrected shortly.) I’m really excited to be part of such a great website and along with wonderful company. I have contributed photos for their drinks section which link back here for the recipes. So please stop by Gojee.com to congratulate them on the official launch of Gojee Drinks and find many amazing recipes not only for drinks but for anything your heart desires. Make sure you create an account for the full Gojee experience. Let me tell you it’s addictive flipping through all the recipes and photos. And if you love them, which I know you will, please help spread the word.

Gojee Drinks, Goojee.com
Here’s a little preview of Gojee Drinks, “Gojee Drinks keeps Gojee Food’s paradigm-shifting interface of I Crave, I Have, and I Dislike,and now offers drink recipes for all occasions,ages, and religious denominations.”

Have a great weekend everyone!

P.S. I am now also on Pinterest. Just getting started and learning but if you’d like to follow me, I’ll follow you back, click below.

**Thanks for voting this recipe into Foodbuzz Daily Top 9, November 13, 2011**

Comments

For some reason, the “vegan” threw me and I read the title as Homemade Maple Apple Cider Vinegar. Glad it’s actually a lovely, warm drink instead. Looks wonderful.

Congrats! I will go check that out! Funny, when I saw the apple photo on Facebook I had a feeling you were going to make cider, but I didn’t want to spoil the surprise ; ) I don’t care for apples as a snack either, and I am not a fan in pie – but I do love a good apple cider! This looks great, and the photos are lovely as always.

Thanks and congratulations to you as well! It really is a great website, honestly can’t get enough of it. WIll also look for you too. Hehe, It’s on it’s way but you may have to reheat it a bit ;)

Congratulations and welcome to Pinterest. It’s very addicting, but a whole lot of fun. I think more visually, so I use it a lot to save ideas and future projects. My kids won’t let me cook the apples. They love them straight up with Nutella, especially!

I have never made homemade cider! I do agree with you about apples not being the most pleasing thing at times in their raw state. The only raw apples I really enjoy are Honeycrisp, but their season is pretty short :(

Congrats on your website feature, I imagine you are excited about that!
    Cider does sound like a great comforting beverage on a cold day or even when you are sick. The addition of the maple syrup is a nice touch. This looks worth trying-yum! Have a great weekend!

I’ve never made apple cider before and your recipe looks pretty simple. Of course it helps to see your pretty pictures as well. I was thinking about making a apple and custard cake, but I might chance my mind…this cider looks great for cold days!
    Hope you’ll have a great weekend and congrats on being featured on Gojee.

Hola Yvette, Yay! That is great and what great company to be in. You are so sweet and had me blushing. But Yvette you and your family are all gorgeous. I’ll make sure to look for your recipes on Gojee. Buen fin de semana :)

I love your pictures!! It really does justice to this beautiful apple cider. Thanks for sharing, it looks delicious, have a wonderful day!

Congratulations on being featured….you must be over the moon! The cider looks SO good! I don’t know how it would taste without the cinnamon, but I’m going to try!

Hi Ann, Do you not like cinnamon or are you allergic? I’m sure you could instead add a little cardamon or some nutmeg for a little more flavor. Let me know what you do :)

Congrats on the top 9 Nancy! So very well deserved. It has been cold here in Va. The Apple Cider would be wonderful right about now. As always your photos are top notch! Thank you so much for sharing with us.

I never knew apple cider could be SO beautiful…truly lovey styling and superb photography! Congrats on a well deserved Top 9 today!!!

This looks absolutely perfect for fall! I’ve been meaning to make my own cider, this is perfect :-) And congrats for being in Gojee! Very exciting. I was happy to hear about their new drink section! Finally, congrats on Top 9 today!!

Congrats on being featured in Gojee, that’s a great mag! I also find myself at a loss at what to do with my tons of leftover apples sometimes, so this apple cider is a good idea. Never made any at home yet, but may just do that now and perhaps go one step further with the vinegar!

Nancy, it’s an honor to share the Top 9 spot with you today on Fooduzz. I’m big admirer. Though I rarely have time to comment, I am follow you, not only for your gorgeous photos, but for your unique voice and stories.

My best,
    Pam

Oh Pam, you are such a sweet heart. Thank you so much. Really the honor is all mine being in such great company and in this beautiful community of ours. My best to you as well :)

Beautiful, and stunning photographs, Nancy! You did not go overboard at all because I love just staring at them! Love the cider recipe and also Congrats on the bleated top 9 and on feature on “gojee”!
    wishing you relaxed week ahead!!! Cheers!

Love the cider and it is at the top of my favorite cold weather drinks as well :) Congrats again on Top9 and the feature on Gojee, will check it out :) As for Pinterest, have not done that one yet but will check it out since I am seeing it frequently.

Maple cider? Count me in on this one – it looks fabulous, as well as your photographs as always. Really? Peanut butter and apple? Shocking! LoL. Bravo on the website project – and also just to say I love that photo of you with the glass. Cheers!

What a silly Jilly: just noticed the date so hope you get this. Better late than never, but saw this photo on Pinterest and caught my eye (like all of your photos, clever you!)

Trackbacks