12 Healthy Recipes For A Healthy Start To 2012

by Spicie Foodie on January 2, 2012

How were everyone’s New Years celebrations? I hope you had fun and that 2012 is off to a great start. In my previous post I spoke about the cliched New Years resolution of loosing weight. I not only want to loose the extra weight but I also want to make sure we are eating healthy. Besides exercise the thing that always help me loose weight is eating healthier and natural foods. Notice I didn’t say diet. No one likes that word,myself included. I think when people hear diet they think bland boring food. But that doesn’t have to be the case. There are so many options and ways of eating healthy, natural foods that will help you not only loose weight but also keep your body healthy. I’ve put together 12 recipes, from the Spicie Foodie archives, to get 2012 off to a healthy start. Hopefully they will inspire you to cook one, two or a few. But most importantly help you see that a healthier, and if you want, lighter you is easy to do.

12 Healthy Recipes For A Healthy Start To 2012 (in no particular order)

- Almond milk
almond milk recipe; glass; jar; almond milk; recipe; healthy; almonds; whole almond; brown; white; creamy; vertical; drink; vegan; vegetarian; gluten free; gluten free drinks; how to make almond milk; no separate; no curdeling; stop from seperating; how to; how to blanch almonds; spicie foodie; non-dairy; non-dairy milk; cooked; raw; sweet; cooking; baking; fresh; home made; homemade

- Vegan Indian Cauliflower Mash, or Aloo Gobi Mash
Indian Cauliflower Mash; Aloo Gobi Mash; Cauliflower; Indian; food; recipes; vegan; vegetables; fast; easy; healthy; low fat; Spicie Foodie

- Luscious Thai Chicken Pineapple curry and The 5 flavors of Thai Cuisine
Thai Chicken Pineapple Curry; Thai Chicken Curry; Thai; Curry; Pineapple; Chicken; Healthy; Low Fat; Tomato; Basil; Easy; fast; Spicie Foodie; Recipe; comida; recetas; recetas de curry; pollo

- Linguine with Sun-dried Tomatoes
Linguine; sundried tomatoes; sun dried; sun-dried tomatoes; cherry tomatoes; basil; pasta; whole wheat pasta; garlic; cooking ingredients; food; still life; Linguine with Sun-dried Tomatoes; Haven On A Plate; Vegan; vegetarian; healthy; wine; red wine; baguette; bread

- Somen (Nyumen) Miso Soup, Ready in 10 Minutes
Somen Miso Noodle Soup; Instant; miso; soup; noodles; recipe; ingredients; hot; Japanese; food; recipes; cuisine

- Yellow Split Pea Spread
yellow; split; pea; spread; vegetables; vegetarian; vegan; legumes; carrot;diet; healthy; onion; spring; scallions; snack; appetizer; natural; protein

- Hummus & Roasted Veggie Hummus Delight (Wraps)
 roasted vegetables; vegetables; roasted; peppers; bell peppers;olives; eggplant; onions; spring onion; feta cheese;goat cheese; vegan; vegetarian; healthy; low fat;

- Baharat Spiced Beef Stew (A Wacky Stew)
beef; stew; beef stew; Baharat; Bharat; spice; spices; spiced; Turkey spices; carrot; potato; Russet Pototo; onions; spring onions; chives; red pepper; chile; sweet pepper; food; fusion; cuisine; Turkish; spicy; hot; red; orange; brown; gold; spoon; leeks; vegetable beef stew; soup; potage; sopa picante; guisado picante; guisade de Turkia; sopa de carne; carne; papas

- Healthier Banana Muffins
banana bread; banana muffins; banana; healthier; low fat; low sugar; no butter; flax; flax meal; Flax seeds; yogurt; recipe; Spicie Foodie

- Grilled Portobello Steaks (Vegan)
Vegan; Recipe; recipes; portabello mushroom; portabella mushroom; mushroom; mushroom steak; steak; onion; baked potato; healthy; low fat; low carb; easy; fast; vegetarian; Spicie Foodie

- Fish Tacos
recipe; fish; tacos; fish tacos; cabbage; salsa; pico de gallo; radish; Mexican; easy; low fat; healthy; avocado; cat fish; Mexican holidays; food; fish tacos recipe; Spicie Foodie

- Ginger Lemon and Honey Tea
Lemon Ginger Tea for sore throat; Lemon Ginger Tea; Lemon Tea; Ginger Tea; to cure colds; tea for cold season; tea; homemade; organic; natural; holistic tea; Spicie Foodie; Recipe; receta; tee de gingibre; te de limon; te; the

Also take a look at these, 12 Healthy Recipes From 12 Foodie Friends: (in no particular order)
- Winter Citrus Salad with Currants and Goat Cheese by The Ardent Epicure
- Yotam Ottolenghi´s corn fritters by Aromas y Sabores
- Baked Rutabaga Chips by A Thought For Food
- Happy Bread by Foodiva’s Kitchen
- Roasted Cauliflower with Olives and Herbs by Gourmande in the Kitchen
- Ten Vegan Wrap Recipes by Healthy, Happy Life
- On Love, Abs and Roasted Tomato Soup by Joy Zhang via Honest Cooking
- Jambalaya by Tomayto Tomaaahto
- Mushroom, Apple and Sage Stuffed Red Onions by She’s Cookin’
- Italian Minestrone – Vegetarian by SPCookie Queen
- Quinoa Salad by Sweet Life
- Olive Cherry Focaccia Pizza (“Fopizza”) by Tasty Trix

Yummy Pics: A Food Blogger's Guide to Better Photos, Photography eBook by Spicie Foodie

in Health-Beauty

1 Pepy @Indonesia Eats January 2, 2012 at 8:23 AM

I drink almond milk regularly. I love the taste of hazelnut milk as well.

For ginger tea, I like adding other herbs such as lemongrass, pandan leaves, cloves or cinnamon. In Indonesia we call it wedang jahe.

Nice choice of healthy recipes!

2 Spicie Foodie January 2, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Thanks for sharing that Pepy :)

3 Terra January 2, 2012 at 9:38 AM

What a gorgeous, and delicious roundup! I am intrigued by your split pea spread, that sounds delicious! Take care, Hugs, Terra

4 Spicie Foodie January 2, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Thank you Terra. The split pea spread is actually one of my favorite creations. I hope you’ll like it as much as I do. You too take care :)

5 Ruby January 2, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Great round-up as always, Nancy! Your photography always impresses me – you even made stew look good! And I keep meaning to try that almond milk…

As for the others, I’m flattered to be included. I loved Joy’s post and will read the others starting at the top with the lovely Alisha. :-)

Here’s to a healthy new year for us all!

6 Spicie Foodie January 2, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Thank you sweetie :) You must try the almond milk soon. I don’t leave enough comments on your blog but I do read it often, I am subscribed to your feed. You have so many delicious recipes that it was hard to choose just one.
Cheers to a healthy new year :)!

7 Ramona January 2, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I would eat everyone of these! I agree, bland means boring.. and who wants that. I love that curried and Asian dishes made the cut. I will be joining you in getting back on eating healthy again after over indulging these last few weeks. Thank goodness I don’t have to worry about “indulging” again until I get my box of chocolates on Valentine’s Day. :)

8 Spicie Foodie January 2, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Not us hey Ramona :) Of course Asian and curries have to make the cut, we eat that type of foods on a regular basis. Haha, yeah you’ll get a small break so you’ll be ready for those chocolate :)

9 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 2, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Great (and much-needed) round up! Happy 2012!

10 Spicie Foodie January 2, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Thank you Laura!

11 Liz January 2, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Mmmmmm….all beautiful and delicious AND not laden with cream and butter! Perfect to start the new year! Thank you!

12 Spicie Foodie January 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Thank you Liz. Yeah it’s that time of the year to lay off the cream and butter. Well only until Valentine’s day , hehe :)

13 balvinder January 2, 2012 at 12:52 PM

I loved every recipe featured on your blog. Have a great 2012!

14 Spicie Foodie January 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM

15 Tiffany January 2, 2012 at 2:10 PM

AWESOME! round up! YUM! Happy New Year Mija! :D

16 Spicie Foodie January 2, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Feliz ano nuevo amiga :) And thank you!

17 Jenny @ Savour the Senses January 2, 2012 at 5:28 PM

What a great list! The Thai Chicken Pineapple Curry, Indian Cauliflower Mash and Miso soup are all calling to me the most. Thanks for the ideas!

18 Spicie Foodie January 2, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Thank you Jenny, I hope you make them soon :)

19 Tina@flourtrader January 2, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Perfect timing for these tasty and healthy dishes. You are right, eating the right food to lose weight does not have to feel like deprivation. Thanks for the round up!

20 Spicie Foodie January 2, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Thanks Tina and glad that you agree :)

21 Sandra's Easy Cooking January 2, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Every single of your recipes are beautiful, tasty and I want them NOW!!!:))
wish you amazing New 2012 Year!!!!

22 Spicie Foodie January 2, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Thanks Sandra and my best wishes to you as well.

23 Leslie @ La Cocina de Leslie January 2, 2012 at 6:11 PM

I just discovered your blog not too long ago and everything looks so delicious! I want one of everything on this list. :)

Happy New Year!

24 Spicie Foodie January 2, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Hi Leslie, Glad you stopped by :) I love discovering blogs I have missed, really looking forward to reading more of your blog. Happy New Year to you as well!

25 Kelly January 2, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Such a great round up of recipes, everything looks amazing! Looking forward to your fabulous recipes in 2012, Happy New Year! xoxo

26 Spicie Foodie January 2, 2012 at 8:36 PM

27 Nicole, RD January 2, 2012 at 8:54 PM

YUM! 2011 was tasty, indeed! Can’t wait to see what 2012 brings!

28 Spicie Foodie January 3, 2012 at 9:39 AM

29 Emily @ Life on Food January 2, 2012 at 10:15 PM

You sure are right that there are plenty of wonderful foods out there which are plenty healthy and good for you. Great list. I am going to check out the miso soup; its one of my favorites.

30 Spicie Foodie January 3, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Thank you Emily. I think you’ll like the Miso soup. The taste was great and can’t beat the easy, fast prep time.

31 claudia @whats cookin italian cuisine January 2, 2012 at 10:22 PM

As always your an inspiration. Healthy food, a new beginning and a great roundup. Happy New Year and thanks for being the best supporter a blogger could have you have been a wealth of information and I truly appreciate your friendship. This was another great entry to save and now its bookmarked.. thanks again…. have the healthiest and happiest 2012!

32 Spicie Foodie January 3, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Thank you Claudia, your words always bring a smile to my face and make me feel great. I appreciate them and your friendship :) Big hugs and best wishes.

33 Ann January 3, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Everything looks healthy AND delicious! Beautifully done and I look forward to seeing what you come up with next! Best of luck with the healthy lifestyle – you KNOW I’m rooting for you!

34 Spicie Foodie January 3, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Thank you Ann! I’ll try not to let you down, hehe :)

35 Priscilla - She's Cookin' January 3, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Did you have a hard time selecting which recipes to feature? I’m with you , Nancy. I don’t diet but rather eat healthy, unprocessed foods and try to at least walk every day – that’s why I love visiting you here – all your recipes are healthy, delicious, relatively simple to make, and beautifully photographed! Thanks for the mention, too :)

36 Spicie Foodie January 4, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Hi Priscilla,
Yes, I always find it difficult to choose partly because I’m very critical of what I do and also just finding the perfect fitting ones is hard. Good for you Priscilla, I love your approach. Thank you so much that is so sweet of you:)

37 Kimberly (unrivaledkitch) January 3, 2012 at 2:59 PM

everything looks divine Nancy! No diet necessary.

Happy new year my dear! I hope you had a wonderful set of holidays, I did but they were a lot of work but very productive and amazing. Have a great day. Lots of love!- Kimberly

38 Spicie Foodie January 4, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Thank you Kimberly :) Happy new year sweetie and my very best wishes to you. Hugs!

39 Magic of Spice January 3, 2012 at 3:51 PM

What a beautiful array of healthy but delicious recipes! I still need to try the almond milk :)
Thanks for the mention sweetie, I hope you are having a wonderful start in 2012, hugs!

40 Spicie Foodie January 4, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Thank you Alisha. What you haven’t made it yet ? ;) You too hope it has been off to a great start.

41 Yvette ~ Muy Bueno January 4, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Everything looks tasty girl! Mmm! That portobello steak and glass of wine are calling my name.

Salud to a healthy 2012 amiga~

42 Spicie Foodie January 4, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Thanks Yvette! You should try the portobello steak it is one of my favorite meals. Salud to a great year ahead :)

43 beti January 4, 2012 at 3:01 AM

the miso soup quickly caught mu eye, specially since it only takes 10 minutes to make, everything looks amazing!

44 Spicie Foodie January 4, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Thank you Beti!

45 Trix January 4, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I’m with you – “diet” sounds so restrictive and boring. Much better to enjoy the things you love (like these yummy dishes you’ve assembled here) in moderation. And thanks for including my fopizza! : )

46 Spicie Foodie January 4, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Thank you Trix!

47 Kelly @ Inspired Edibles January 4, 2012 at 9:27 PM

What a fabulous collection of recipes… I’m going to be busy in 2012! Thank you for the inspiration and all the best in 2012.

48 Spicie Foodie January 5, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Thanks Kelly and do let me know how you like any that you try :)

49 Patty January 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I appreciate the healthy approach you take here, always inspirational to me!
Beautiful dishes and love your photos Nancy;-)

50 Spicie Foodie January 5, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Thank you Patty, it means a lot to hear others appreciate my efforts :)

51 Maya@Foodiva's Kitchen January 8, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Nancy, your food and recipes have always been a source of great inspiration for me and although I fail to produce healthy recipes on many counts (due to my love of butter and sugar), I always come back to your site whenever I’m feeling guilty and need motivation to lose that extra pound or TEN! Keep going on the healthy track, my friend. Who knows, because of you, I might live a few years longer? Lol!

Happy New Year, if I haven’t already said this!

52 Spicie Foodie January 9, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Maya, don’t get me wrong. I do love butter and sugar, but I just force myself to limit them or I get a tummy ache. You are my baking inspiration and your blog is where I go for inspiration and great recipes to learn. Haha, I think the credit would be yours not mine :) Happy New Year my friend! Hugs!

53 Maya@Foodiva's Kitchen January 8, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Oh, I almost forgot. Thanks so much for the shout-out to my Happy Bread! <3

54 Spicie Foodie January 9, 2012 at 10:32 AM

My pleasure! Besides we have to share the happyness of your bread :)