Sunday Snapshots: My First Pitaya, aka Dragon Fruit

by Spicie Foodie on March 4, 2012

fruit; fresh; raw; organic; pitaya; pithaya; dragon fruit; asian; catcus fruit; tuna; red; pink; white; grey; Spicie Foodie; Sunday Snapshots

Pitaya, also know as pithaya or dragon fruit, is a type of cactus fruit. They are native to Mexico, Central America, South America and are also cultivated in East and Southeast Asian countries1. It is a mildly sweet fruit with an intense outer color. The most common variety has an outer skin color of vibrant pink or fuschia, though there are also yellow colored pityas.

Depending on the variety of pitaya, cutting open the tender fruit will reveal either an intense pink/red, white or, as in my case, a greyish fruit color. The juicy fruit flesh is splattered with edible little black seeds. The smell is of a mildly sweet summer fruit.

To eat a pitaya you must separate the inside from the other skin by peeling it away or scooping out the fruity flesh. The fruit can be enjoyed like so on its own, blended into a drink, served alongside other fruits for a salad, or if you creative enough pitaya can also be used as a cooking ingredient.

This was my first time eating pitaya. I bought one for hubby and I to share and try out. To enjoy the full flavors of the pitaya we ate it on its own. I sliced the fruit in half, used a spoon to scoop around the inside, then cut it up into bite size pieces.

As we ate the pitaya we spoke about the mildly sweet flavor. In a way it reminds you of eating a kiwi with all the little seeds, but it doesn’t taste like one. Since this is a cactus fruit it will also remind you of a tuna or prickly pear fruit. I grew up eating those and though the looks and texture were quite similar the flavor of a tuna is more memorable than the pitaya. In the end we agreed that it most resembled a juicy piece of melon. Hubby said he found it to have a slight tart aftertaste.

The verdict, we both like it, I more than he. Next time I hope to find the variety with the bright pink inside. I hear that variety is slightly more flavorful than the white or greyish variety we had.

How about you, have you ever tried pitaya or dragon fruit? Did you enjoy it? Do share.

Happy Sunday everyone!

in Fruits,Sunday Snapshots

1 Rosa March 4, 2012 at 8:32 AM

A lovely fruits and great pictures! I’ve only had that fruit once…

2 Spicie Foodie March 4, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Hi Rosa,

Thank you. I think it is hard to find in our area of the world. Happy Sunday :)

3 Ann@Anncoo Journal March 4, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I love dragron fruit and it is very healthy that I can have it everyday. I love to add this fruit in my salad or even bakes. You may like to check here

Ann

4 Spicie Foodie March 5, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Hi Ann,

Lucky you ;) Thanks will do.

5 Patty March 4, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Loved reading about dragon fruit which I have never tried myself, now I’m curious! The cubes of fruit look so juicy, fresh and appealing in your photos;-)

6 Spicie Foodie March 5, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Patty,

You should try it if you can find it. The fruit is juicy and yummy ;) Thanks!

7 Terra March 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I found one at the store the other day, but did not get it. I should have though:-) My friend had shared about them, and how delicious they are:-) Your pictures make me want some:-) Take care, Terra

8 Spicie Foodie March 5, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Hi Terra,

Oh, too bad. You should get one next time and try it. Thanks you too!

9 Leslie @ La Cocina de Leslie March 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I LOVE pitayas! In the small town where I live, in Mexico, we have the “other” kind of pitaya. They are only in season throughout the month of May. We can never get enough of the sweet, brightly colored fruits.

I had only read about this kind of pitaya. Last year we lucked upon some at the market. Ours were also gray on the inside. The taste was kind of sour compared to the pitayas we are used to.

Your photos are stunning!

10 Spicie Foodie March 5, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Hi Leslie,

How lucky for you. Yes, I also thought the taste of these wasn’t as sweet. But still I enjoyed them. Thanks!

11 easyfoodsmith March 4, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I have tried this fruit just once and your pics have reminded me that I need to get my hands on it again! Lovely pics

12 Spicie Foodie March 5, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Thanks and go get you some :)

13 The Mistress of Spices March 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM

We have been eating lots of dragon fruit since moving to Thailand! It doesn’t have much of an exciting taste, but it’s just so pretty that it makes it a treat to eat in my book. I’m looking forward to using it in salads and drinks. Lovely photos as usual!

14 Spicie Foodie March 5, 2012 at 9:10 AM

How lucky for you! The exotic look and bright colors do have a lot to do with the pleasures of eating it. Thank you!

15 Sandra's Easy Cooking March 4, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Beautiful photos..I have to be honest I never tried it and now I want so bad to taste it:)) Pinning it!!!!

16 Spicie Foodie March 5, 2012 at 9:11 AM

You should try it Sandra. It is really healthy too. Thanks!

17 natalie March 4, 2012 at 6:09 PM

love dragonfruit! went to vietnam a few years ago and the best part was eating all the exotic fresh fruits!! i probably ate a few of these a day while vacationing there!

18 Spicie Foodie March 5, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I would go crazy with all the exotic fruit there. Thanks!

19 Gourmantine March 4, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I’ve tried dragon fruit only once I think, intrigued by the very exotic appearance, but I do remember it tasted a bit bland… I think I should go and try it all over again :)

20 Spicie Foodie March 5, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Yes, there isn’t a lot of flavor but it is still quite good.

21 Flavors of the Sun March 4, 2012 at 7:46 PM

What absolutely gorgeous photos of a gorgeous and delicious fruit. I live in Mexico, so am exposed to pitaya. The last time I had one was in a margarita!

22 Spicie Foodie March 5, 2012 at 9:13 AM

A margarita with pitaya sounds amazing!

23 Liren March 4, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Love you you present it in the shell! Dragon fruit is just so beautiful :)

24 Spicie Foodie March 5, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Thanks Liren :)

25 Bam's Kitchen March 4, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I am so happy I found your website while visiting Nami-san’s. Your photos are beautiful and we love dragon fruit. I live in Hong Kong so we can have it regularly. Take Care, BAM

26 Spicie Foodie March 5, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Hi Bam,

Glad you stopped by and thank you. I’ll stop by your blog soon. You too!

27 Tessa March 4, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Lovely photos! I’ve never had pitaya before. I will be sure to add it to my list!

28 Spicie Foodie March 5, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Hi Tessa,

Definitely a fruit to try at least once.

29 Patty April 13, 2012 at 11:14 PM

We tried dragonfruit for the first time. It is a stunnung fruit. I however was disappointed by thr bland flavor. Ours was the greyish white variety. Any suggestions to bring out more flavor? I hate to put sugar on it as I don’t want to ruin it. Suggestions?

30 Vicki Bensinger March 4, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I’ve never had dragon fruit but recently read about it on someone else’s post. I think it’s the most beautiful fruit I’ve ever seen. I think I will see if Whole Foods carries it otherwise I’m not sure where I’d locate it.

Please tell me how you took this photo to get the black background? It’s stunning!

31 Spicie Foodie March 5, 2012 at 8:12 AM

If you can’t find it at Whole Foods try any Asian store around you. Perhaps even a Hispanic supermarket. Hope you find it!

32 Nami | Just One Cookbook March 5, 2012 at 12:50 AM

One of my favorite fruits when I visit my in-laws in Taiwan. So pretty to look at and very unique flavor. It’s very interesting that colors are so vivid outside and inside is very simple black and white. Your photos are just so gorgeous..!

33 Spicie Foodie March 5, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Hi Nami,

I also think it is very pretty to look at. Hopefully next time I can find the bright pink inside variety. Thanks ;)

34 Suzanne March 5, 2012 at 2:23 AM

gorgeous photos of this unusual fruit, you have a great talent for photography. Thank you for your sweet comment about my friend passing, I appreciate it so much.

35 Spicie Foodie March 5, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Thank you Suzanne and I hope you are doing well. Hugs.

36 Jessica March 5, 2012 at 3:00 AM

I love love love dragon fruit! The funny thing is, I am one of the few crazy about that fruit because of its mild flavor. But something about it just tastes so refreshing, especially in the summertime! Beautiful shots as always.

37 Spicie Foodie March 5, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Hi Jessica,

It does taste very refreshing and I also think it would be perfect on a hot summer day. Thanks!

38 Marsha @ The Harried Cook March 5, 2012 at 4:15 AM

I love dragon fruit… I’ve eaten it only a few times and I have enjoyed it every single time! Your pictures are just amazing, Nancy! :)

39 Spicie Foodie March 5, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Thank you Marsha :)!

40 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts March 5, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Never tried dragon fruit before. As always, your pictures are gorgeous!

41 Spicie Foodie March 5, 2012 at 7:10 PM

You should try it if you can find it Erin. Thanks!

42 Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) March 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Dragonfruits are so beautiful–you photographed them so well here. :)

43 Spicie Foodie March 5, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Thank you Jean. They are beautiful and so photogenic.

44 LoavesAndKisses March 5, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Yum! These look delicious! Do you know when they are in season? I’d love to try one. :) These pictures are absolutely stunning too!! I love the polka dot plate.

45 Spicie Foodie March 5, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Hi,

Where I live, central Europe, they start showing up around late winter and early spring. I’m sure you could find exact dates for regions on Google. Thank you :)

46 Amy @ Gastronome Tart March 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM

I have been thinking a lot about dragon fruit lately! Been seeing it on shows and reading about it, but sadly have never tried it as I haven’t come across it yet. Hoping I do one day soon!

47 Spicie Foodie March 6, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Sorry you haven’t come across it yet. Have you tried looking at Asian stores? Hope you can give it a try soon.

48 Magic of Spice March 8, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Such gorgeous photos! I do love dragon fruit :) I did an ice cream with it once and it was seriously delicious :) I have not found the pink/red variety as of yet, but heard the same reviews on it.

49 Spicie Foodie March 9, 2012 at 8:25 AM

A dragon fruit ice cream sounds amazing! They ran out of dragon fruit at my green grocers so hopefully I’ll have it again to give the ice cream a try.