Kitchen Know-How: How To Decrystallize Honey

by Spicie Foodie on March 14, 2012

How to Decrystallize Honey; honey; solidified; hard honey; kitchen know how; how to melt honey; melt; how to soften; recipe; miel; como deritir; Spicie Foodie

I don’t drink sodas, I don’t like sweeten tea nor coffee, except for the occasional slightly sweetened iced tea. When I bake I try to use minimal sweeteners because I don’t want my mouth or lips sticking together from the sweetness. On those few occasions I reach for a sweetener honey is my first choice. I love the smell, color, consistency and taste of honey.

Sometimes I also like to incorporate those lovely honey qualities into my savory dishes. When I have a sore throat or cough I like to mix a little honey with lime to soothe my throat. During episodes of hypoglycemia, when my sugar level drops, a teaspoon of honey helps tie me over until I can reach for a proper snack. In the winter time I like to make a soothing face mask of honey, yogurt and oatmeal to help prevent and smooth dry skin. I’ve also read that honey has been shown to have anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal substance. Good quality honey is just a great natural ingredient to eat and use for cosmetic or medicinal purposes.

Yes, I do love honey. But there is one thing I don’t like about honey, it crystallizes or solidifies. The only benefit of solid honey is that you can then spread some of it onto your morning toast. The texture will be a little grainy but it still tastes great. The negative side of a solid jar of honey is that when you want to spoon some out for a recipe or for a quick drizzle over yogurt, obviously you have a problem. Luckily the solution to that problem is quite simple. But first let’s explore the problem a bit, shall we?

The Facts:
- When honey solidifies or crystallizes it is still edible, do not throw it out. Honey lasts for years.
- Crystallization is a natural process that occurs after three to six months of storage. If your honey does not solidify then it may be synthetic.

Why it happens:
- “Over time, honey inevitably begins to crystallize, as the simple sugars revert back to sucrose.” (quote from NY times)

How to prevent it:
- Do not store in the refrigerator.
- Do not store near heat and moisture of stove or oven.
- Store at a cool temperature between 50-70f or 10-21c.
- Make sure the container is airtight to prevent moisture loss.

And this is how you decrystallize honey:
Place the tightly sealed jar of honey inside a pot or deep bowl. Heat some water*, pour the hot water into the pot or bowl with the sealed honey jar. Allow to sit until honey melts. OR I like to let the honey sit for 5 minutes, remove it from the pot, open it and stir to help it along then tightly seal the jar again and place back inside pot or bowl. I repeat the process until the honey has reached a liquid state or the consistency needed.

After the honey reaches the liquid state, remove from pot or bowl. Remove the jar from pot  and allow honey to cool or reach room temperature. Make sure to tightly seal and store at at a cool temperature between 50-70f or 10-21c.

*If you do not want to destroy the health properties of honey, it is important not to heat the water above 38C or 110F. Though of course that happens when honey is used in baking.*

A few Spicie Foodie recipes that use honey:
- Fresh Figs with Prosciutto and Spiced Balsamic Glaze
- Mandarin Miso Salmon Medallions
- Apple Honey Cake for My Honey and Life
- Lemongrass and Pandan Lemonade
- Strawberry Pomegranate Limeade
- Banana Mango Yogurt Popsicles (and Mother Nature is a Tease)

honey recipes; miel; recetas; recipes; savory; dessert; drinks; fish; ham; salad; tea; Spicie Foodie

Sources quoted:
New York Times and Slash Food

Yummy Pics: A Food Blogger's Guide to Better Photos, Photography eBook by Spicie Foodie

in How To Basics

1 Rosa March 14, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Great tips! Thanks.

2 Spicie Foodie March 14, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Thank you Rosa!

3 Natalie March 14, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Wow, what a great post! I love the idea of making a honey mask for the face.

4 Spicie Foodie March 14, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Thanks Natalie! The honey mask leaves your skin feeling really soft :)

5 Ramona March 14, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Thanks for the great tips. I just noticed one of my honey bottles started to crystallize and I went out a bought another one. Unfortunately, it’s in a plastic bottle so I’m not sure I can put it into boiling water. I think I will cut the bottle open and see if I can scrap the honey out into a glass container. Yes.. I’m typing out loud to myself. LOL! Thanks for letting me know the honey is still good. :)

6 Spicie Foodie March 14, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Hi Ramona,

Since it is plastic you can also try using cooler than boiling water. But your idea will also work out. hehe, I do that typing out loud too:)

7 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts March 14, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Great tips!! My honey is always crystallizing!

8 Spicie Foodie March 14, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Thanks Erin, I hope you try it soon.

9 Priscilla - She's Cookin' March 14, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Absolutely – don’t throw out crystallized honey! I usually zap it in the microwave for 20 seconds or so, is that bad? Great tips and recipes, Nancy :)

10 Spicie Foodie March 14, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Hi Priscilla,

I don’t think thats bad. I just don’t use my microwave often so I didn’t mention your method. Thanks :)

11 Nami | Just One Cookbook March 14, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Very helpful tips! I do this method, but I have to remember to do it in advance… I often realize that it’s not ready to use yet when I need it *now*. Haha.

12 Spicie Foodie March 14, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Thanks Nami. I do the same thing, then I have to stop and wait for this. hehe :)

13 Cucina49 March 14, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Thanks for the information–I usually just throw it in the microwave, which doesn’t work very well.

14 Spicie Foodie March 14, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Next time you can try this method then. I’ve never tried the microwave.

15 Jennifer (Delicieux) March 14, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Great post with lots of useful tips here. Honey truly is an amazing food. I read a fact somewhere that jars of honey were found in Tutankhamen tomb, and although they had crystallised they were still perfectly edible, after thousands of years.

16 Spicie Foodie March 14, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Wow, how cool is that! I wouldn’t want to be the first to try the honey though, hehe :)

17 Patty March 14, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Thanks for the info on honey! Honey is such an ant magnet in the pantry during summer months, I have to store it in the fridge where it crystallizes right away so this will come in handy;-)

18 Spicie Foodie March 14, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I hope it does Patty:) Thanks!

19 Flavors of the Sun March 14, 2012 at 6:56 PM

This was a surprise to me as I didn’t know you would seal the jar to heat it in water. Great tip. I live where I can get such great local honey and pollen. This is good to know.

20 Spicie Foodie March 14, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I think if you leave it open then it will allow too much moisture to escape from the honey. But if you leave it open than steam or water could enter the honey and dilute it.

21 Ann March 14, 2012 at 8:52 PM

I loved this article! Great tips. The last time my honey crystalized, I threw it away. I also appreciate all you can do with honey as well as your reasons for preferring it. A great read! Thanks!

22 Spicie Foodie March 15, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Thank you Ann!

23 Manu March 14, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Fantastic tip Nancy! I had no idea it was so easy!!! hehehe

24 Spicie Foodie March 15, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Thanks Manu! Yep, really easy :)

25 Vicki Bensinger March 14, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Im with you on honey – great for a cold as a sweetener for foods. Liked your tips as well for dissolving the crystals.

26 Spicie Foodie March 15, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Thanks Vicki!

27 Bloggy Writer March 15, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Thanks for the very useful way.

28 Spicie Foodie March 15, 2012 at 10:18 AM

My pleasure!

29 Bethany East March 15, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Wow, I’m surprised so many people didn’t know how what to do when their honey crystallized!! Definitely do NOT throw away your honey, such a waste!!

30 Carolyn March 15, 2012 at 7:03 AM

How long does it stay de-crystallized, Nancy? We have this problem a fair bit with honey.

31 Spicie Foodie March 15, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Hi Carolyn,

I decrystallized mine last week and it is still smooth. Usually I don’t have the problem because I buy small jars and go through them fast. But I would assume it would stay decrystallized for a while. If not you can always do it again:)

32 Lea Ann March 15, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Thanks so much for this information. I learned a few things here. Especially interesting about the synthetic. Geez, you have to watch these food manufacturers like a hawk. I’m wondering if a microwave would work with a plastic bottle?

33 Spicie Foodie March 15, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Yes, you really have to be careful of what you buy. That is why I always advocate readying labels. I wouldn’t microwave a plastic bottle. In case of a melt down, that would not be a mess you’d want to clean up. Instead I would suggest places some of the crystallized honey in a microwave safe container then microwaving in that.

34 Ena March 15, 2012 at 10:21 AM

To keep the beneficial effects of honey, it is important that you don’t heat it over 45 degrees Celcius. Putting the jar in boiling water is fine to decrystallize, but you will destroy all the good properties of the honey…. So use water of a lower temperature, or put the jar in a sunny window-sill to prevent overheating. The microwave is not safe either, because of heating with microwaves the honey will heat uneven. To decrystallize all the honey the sum of the colder and the hotter parts will be most likely over 45C, it is just too difficult to control.
By the way, not all honey crystallizes, it depends on what the bees ate when they made the honey.

35 Spicie Foodie March 15, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Hi,

Thank you for the tips. I did just find the info about the not heating it over 38c or 110f. But as far as the”not all honey crystallizes” I did not find any information to back that up. Instead all I found said that it all indeed does crystallize. But depending on the variety the crystallization will happen at different stages. Do you have a link where you can verify the information you’ve referenced here?

36 Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) March 15, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Great tip to share, Nancy. I buy tons of honey since we use it a lot at home and I have had to dip my jar in warm water at times to get the honey back to the right consistency. It really does work and it’s super easy. :)

37 Spicie Foodie March 15, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Thanks Jean!

38 Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche March 15, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I can’t believe I never knew this! I’ve thrown away crystallised honey before – I knew it was still edible, but not all that pleasant to eat – but if I’d known it was this easy I could have saved it!

39 Spicie Foodie March 15, 2012 at 6:44 PM

So now you know for next time :)

40 Liz March 15, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Great advice…I’ve always used the microwave, but your method sounds better. And I didn’t know there was synthetic honey…ugh! Have a great weekend, Nancy!

41 Spicie Foodie March 16, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Thanks Liz and you too have a great weekend!

42 Sandra's Easy Cooking March 16, 2012 at 2:27 AM

I love honey and this is such a great post..very useful Nancy!!!! Congrats on top 9!!!!!

43 Spicie Foodie March 16, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Thank you Sandra!

44 Trish March 16, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Wow, what an informative post. Going to bookmark this. Congrats ton Top 9!!!

45 Spicie Foodie March 16, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Thanks Trish!

46 Ena March 16, 2012 at 5:09 AM

Unfortunately, no link :-( I got the info from some bee keeping friends who learned that in their course bee keeping, that some honey never crystallizes. I guess that if you store the honey for some years, in the end it will start to crystallize, but usually it is already used up before that moment. One of the jars I got from them stayed fluid the whole time (I kept this special honey for special moments), but when I got a new jar, it was already crystallizing. So the timeframe in which honey will crystallize is very, very broad…
And about the heating, it is of course not very useful to decrystallize very careful to not destroy the enzymes and other beneficial stuff in there, and then bake with it. But I guess that everyone can think of that themselves :-)

Oh, and I do like your post a lot! It shares knowledge and prevends people from throwing perfectly okay food away, that is always a good thing!

47 Spicie Foodie March 16, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Hi Ena,

Well, yes if you do not have honey for long you will not see it crystallize. Also the storing conditions will have a lot to do with the rate of crystallization.

Thanks!

48 Marsha @ The Harried Cook March 16, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Great tips :) I somehow like crystallized honey though!

49 Spicie Foodie March 16, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Me too, not for everything but I do like it.

50 Sandra March 16, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Congratulations on Top 9!

51 Ruby March 16, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Nice write-up, Nancy. I’ve always nuked my crystallised honey – I wonder now if that destroys the health properties? I suppose it’s not called nuking for nothing – LOL! Will have to change tactics and try it your way. Also worth mentioning is the idea of whipping it, as per Tamara’s recent post on Honest Cooking.

52 Spicie Foodie March 17, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Thank you Ruby! I’ll have to go look at Tamara’s post, sounds delish!

53 Trix March 16, 2012 at 11:56 AM

This is great tip!!! I put honey on my Greek yogurt for breakfast nearly every morning.

54 Spicie Foodie March 17, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Yum! That is what mine gets used most on.

55 Matthew Cibellis March 16, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I opened my cupboard this morning and saw a beautiful jar all crystalized and thought, “Oh crap, I do not want to throw this out.”

Thank you so much!
Matthew
alunchboxblog.com

56 Lori Lynn March 16, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Love the light in your photos. Congrats on T-9!
LL

57 Spicie Foodie March 17, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Thank you Lori!

58 pavithra March 19, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Love these beautiful shot.. I am fan of your pictures. Love love them a lot :)

59 Spicie Foodie March 19, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Thank you!

60 Magic of Spice March 20, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Great tips sweetie! I notice when I have my honeys up in the cabinet close to my tea collection (yes there is a collection for both), they end up with some crystallization. They do fine in the pantry though, but I am too lazy to walk that far, lol.

61 Spicie Foodie March 20, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Haha, and you know I’m not surprised you have a collection of both. Tea time at your house must be grand!

62 Sunithi November 28, 2012 at 6:45 PM

That was useful, esp the part about not heating above a certain temperature ! Good post ! Lovely pics ! Congrats on being featured on daily buzz !

63 Spicie Foodie November 28, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Thank you Sunithi!

64 johnny January 12, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Honey is cool

65 Spicie Foodie January 14, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Yep!

66 claudia lamascolo January 23, 2014 at 5:31 PM

awesome tips, now I have to make sure the next kind I buy is in a glass jar, mine was rock hard in a plastic container..such a waste of money. Wished I saw this before I threw it out.. Not sure if I could have save it though couldn’t get it out of the plastic.. thanks Nancy!

67 Spicie Foodie January 23, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Oh, too bad you tossed out the container. But now you know for next time. Thanks Claudia!