Mahi Mahi Fillets with Preserved Lemon Sauce over Salad Greens

by Spicie Foodie on March 16, 2012

Mahi Mahi; fish; steaks; lent recipes; recipes; receta; Dorado; fast; easy; preserved lemons; garlic; Spicie Foodie; Low-fat; healthy; Mache greens; salad; mache; lettuce; olive oil

TGIF!!! Yay, happy dance! Who’s ready for the weekend? I sure am. The official start of spring is in a few days and the weather has begun showing hints of it. Our forecast for this weekend is sunny and in the upper teens, in Celsius or upper 60s in Fahrenheit. That makes me a very happy camper. But it also means that I am finding it harder to concentrate on work. I got sun, fun and play on the brain. So rather then writing an interesting story or health information on Mahi Mahi, aka Dorado, I’m just going to give you the recipe.

It’s a sunny Friday here and I’m going out to enjoy it. Enjoy this super easy and fabulously healthy recipe. Which I might add takes virtually no time to prepare, perfect so you too can go outside and enjoy the weather. Hopefully.

Have a great weekend everyone! I’ll see you on Sunday for Sunday Snapshots.

P.S.
Please excuse the boring photos. I wasn’t going to shoot the meal, but change my mind at the last minute.

Mahi Mahi; fish; steaks; fillets; lent recipes; receta; Durado; fast; easy; preserved lemons; garlic; Spicie Foodie; Low-fat; healthy; Dolphin; Dolphinfish; Mai Mai

(If you would like to publish my recipe on your website please quote Spicie Foodie as the recipe creator, and place a link back to the recipe.)

Mahi Mahi Fillets with Preserved Lemon Sauce
2 Mahi Mahi/ Dorado fillets
4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, good quality
salt, to taste
ground black pepper, to taste

6 wedges preserved lemons, I make my own- recipe here
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, good quality
1 tbsp water

Salad:
Mache greens, arugula sprinkle with a little salt and ground black pepper. Then toss with a little olive oil.

Make the sauce:
1. Preserved lemons should be soaked at least 15 minutes before using. Drain and separate lemon skin away from pith and pulp  . Place the lemon skins in a blender with the olive oil and water, blend until lemon skins have completely broken down. Set aside.

Cook Fish:
1. Pat dry the Mahi Mahi fillets and set aside. Heat the olive oil and once hot saute the thinly sliced garlic cloves for 3 minutes. Do not burn the garlic, it should be cooked just until it begins to darken in to a light golden color. Remove the sauteed garlic slices but leave all of the oil in the pan. Add the garlic to the lemon sauce and mix to well combine then set aside again.

2. Using the same oil bring the heat up to medium high. Season the top of the Mahi Mahi steaks with salt and pepper, place seasoned side down into hot pan. Season the top layer of the fish with salt and pepper. Fry the fish for 5 minutes on one side then flip and dry another 3 minutes on opposite side.

Place the fish ontop of salad greens.

More Fish Recipes:
- Spanish Mackerel with Yuzu by Just One Cookbook
- Pan Seared Mahi-Mahi with Cucumber Slaw by Joylicious
- Seared Mahi-Mahi with Spicy Pomelo and Orange Salsa by Indonesia Eats
- Honey Ginger Glazed Mahi Mahi by Liv Life
- Basque Fish and Potato Stew by We Heart Food
- Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos by Healthy Food For Living
- Triple Citrus Striped Bass Stuffed with Quinoa by Family Spice

in Fish/Seafood

1 Rosa March 16, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Delicious looking! The flavors are really refined and fresh.

2 Spicie Foodie March 16, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Thank you Rosa!

3 Marsha @ The Harried Cook March 16, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Looks delicious and not at all boring to me! I love the flavors – especially that of the preserved lemon sauce! Yummy :)

4 Spicie Foodie March 16, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Hi Marsha,

Hehe, thank you:)

5 Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb March 16, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Now thats how I like my fish cooked. Mahi mahi is new to me though. Looks absolutly irresistable! enjoy the sun outside nancy! ;)

6 Spicie Foodie March 17, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Mahi Mahi is really good Helene. It is meatier than other fish and works great just about anyway you prepare it. Thanks!

7 Laura @ Family Spice March 16, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I have never tried preserved lemons. Must try! I am going to do the same today. I’m taking a break and going to enjoy today outside! Have a great weekend and thanks for the link!

8 Spicie Foodie March 17, 2012 at 11:26 AM

You must try them Laura! I hope you enjoyed your day out.

9 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts March 16, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Yum! My husband is a huge fan of fish, and he would love this with the lemon sauce over the top! So light and perfect for spring!

10 Spicie Foodie March 17, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Thank you! Light is exactly what I was craving.

11 Sandra's Easy Cooking March 16, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Happy Friday Nancy!!!! Oh don’t you just love Spring? We are having such a great weather and since Late Feb. it is always around 65 to 86F..everything already bloomed!
Your dish look fantastic..I love this light and delicious idea! Going to try it soon!!!
Have a lovely weekend sweetie..enjoy your warm weather!!!!

12 Spicie Foodie March 17, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Wow, that is more like our summer weather :) Thanks and you too have a great weekend.

13 Priscilla - She's Cookin' March 16, 2012 at 2:20 PM

We eat lots of fish and the bright flavor of lemons (esp. Meyer lemons) are our favorite enhancer! I love preserved lemons, but sadly cannot use them at home – too much sodium for hubs. Have a great weekend and I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to respond to the email you sent me – promise to get to it this weekend.

14 Spicie Foodie March 17, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Oh, sorry you can’t enjoy the preserved lemons. But regular lemons would also work here. You too and no problem!

15 patty March 16, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Hi Nancy, even your quick and easy photos look beautiful! I love preserved lemons, they add so much flavor to a dish without adding a lot of calories, which makes a flavorful healthy meal that I’m glad you decided to share. ps. that is one good looking piece of fish;-)

16 Spicie Foodie March 17, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Haha, you are too nice Patty :) Thanks!

17 Nami | Just One Cookbook March 16, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Gorgeous fish presentation! Even the salad greens are lining up nicely. This is how your regular dinner looks like? Nice~~~! :-) I love this simple preparation for the fish. Very minimal yet lemons will bring out the flavor of the fish and blend nicely. Have a great weekend! p.s. Thank you so much for linking Nancy. :-)

18 Spicie Foodie March 17, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Thank you Nami :) I really like my fish to be minimalist, so we can enjoy the flavors of the fish. Love your recipe Nami.

19 Flavors of the Sun March 16, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I’ve been leading trips to Morocco for the past six years and along the way, I have learned to love all things Moroccan, especially the food. Preserved lemons are such a treat. I am always looking for new ways to use them. Thanks. This recipe looks wonderful—and simple.

20 Spicie Foodie March 17, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Enjoy and I hope you give it a try soon.

21 Vicki Bensinger March 16, 2012 at 5:51 PM

You know what I love about this recipe? It’s nice and simple with fresh flavors plus your photo is beautiful.

22 Spicie Foodie March 17, 2012 at 11:30 AM

23 claudia @whats cookin italian cuisine March 16, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Oh so pretty! Love me some Mahi right now!

24 Spicie Foodie March 17, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Thanks Claudia!

25 Ramona March 16, 2012 at 9:32 PM

And you call these boring photos… I wish my photos were this nice! Congrats on Top 9 today for your honey tip. I told you that was a good one. :) I have been meaning to make preserved lemons for a while now. I just need to do it because it takes time to preserve… gosh I can be lazy sometimes. :) This fish dinner looks perfect!! Have a great weekend!! ~ Ramona

26 Spicie Foodie March 17, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Thanks, and you should give the lemons a try. They are so good I could eat them on their own, naughty I know ;) You too have a great weekend.

27 Suzanne March 16, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Beautiful fish there, simple but full of flavor and with a bed of greens make it even healthier. You enjoy the great weather over the weekend. It’s been unusually warm where I live and it has me a bit worried that we may skip Spring and head right into Summer ;p

28 Spicie Foodie March 17, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I know it’s just crazy weather, in a good way though ;) Thanks enjoy the weather too.

29 anna March 17, 2012 at 1:02 AM

ooo, these are so pretty and simple! yum! also, THOSE are the pictures you toss out last minute? no need to apologize, they’re gorgeous!

30 Spicie Foodie March 17, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Hehe, thanks Anna!

31 Maya@Foodiva's Kitchen March 17, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Hello…remember me? Lol, I haven’t been avoiding coming here, I promise! I just don’t go blog surfing as often nowadays, I blame it on old age. But how can I stay away when I see this beautifully cooked mahi-mahi drizzled with that gorgeous homemade lemon sauce of yours? I’m crap at cooking fish, which is why I admire this dish even more! I’ve SO missed you, Nancy!

32 Spicie Foodie March 17, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Maya…is that really you? Lol, I’ve missed you terribly :( Thanks sweetie and there is nothing to this easy peasy recipe. You just have to keep it simple when it comes to fish. Thank you so much for stopping by, you’ve made my day ;)

33 Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) March 17, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I’m glad you decided to share this anyway. It’s something I would enjoy on any given night. BTW, I will have to check out your preserved lemons recipe. I’ve been meaning to try my hand at it for a few years and I’ve just this week put it on top of my to-make list. Perfect timing for your post. :)

Have a great weekend, Nancy! :)

34 Spicie Foodie March 17, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Hi Jean,

Thank you! I hope you do make them soon. They are really good and add a great taste to food.

You too have a great weekend!

35 Jen Laceda March 17, 2012 at 1:36 PM

i read that mahi mahi is one of the good fishes to eat – fewer contaminants like mercury. so just for that, it’s a thumb’s up for me! preserved lemons? I LIKE!!!!! i’ve never tried making my own since i cannot find unwaxed lemons here…are unwaxed lemons same as organic lemons?? anyway, so i just hop over to my nearest Williams-Sonoma where they sell bottles of preserved lemons from a farm in Tunisia!

36 Spicie Foodie March 17, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Hi Jen,

You should give the lemons a try. I would buy them from an organic farmer or store. But then you also have the convenience of that shop :) Thanks!

37 Sandy @Southwestgirl March 17, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Only you can make a plate full of seared fish look gorgeous!!

38 Spicie Foodie March 17, 2012 at 3:50 PM

39 Lea Ann March 18, 2012 at 10:49 AM

What a beautiful plate of food. I’m glad you changed your mind and picked up the camera. What I’m loving most is the link to making your own preserved lemons. I’m going to do that!

40 Spicie Foodie March 18, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Hi Lea Ann,

You should give the lemons a try, really easy. Plus they taste so great on many things. Thank you:)

41 Magic of Spice March 20, 2012 at 3:38 PM

What a lovely dish to celebrate Spring…wonderful flavors!

42 Spicie Foodie March 20, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Thank you!

43 Frank March 21, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Fish and salad, simply prepared, is truly a perfect meal. I love the idea of using preserved lemons. Gives it that extra something without being overly fussy.

44 Spicie Foodie March 21, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Hi Frank,

I would have to agree Frank, one of my favorite meals.