Spring and Arugula, Maché Strawberry Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette

**March 21 Update: Voted into Foodbuzz’s Daily Top 9. Check out all top 9 recipes.**

Arugula; Maché; Strawberry; Salad; Mustard Vinaigrette; sunflower seeds; spring; salad dressing; healthy; low-fat; low calories; vegan; fresh; Spicie Foodie

March 20, tomorrow, marks the official start of spring in the northern hemisphere. I love spring don’t you? Every year in early March I start waiting, with great anticipation, for the official arrival of spring. I feel as excited as a child does around Christmas, the anticipation is part of all the fun. But rather than material gifts the spring gifts come in the form of sunshine, warm breezes and bird songs.

The windows no longer have to be tightly shut, after a long winter they slowly creak open to welcome the fresh breeze. The gentle spring breeze wafts through your home. There is a new smell in the air, the smell of the waking and blooming flours and trees.

Your walks around the neighborhood are no longer hurried ones. Now you want to take the time to stop, smell, point your face upwards towards the sun and gently smile to yourself. Spring is euphoric.

whole grain mustard; German mustard; whole grain; real; recipe; salad; salad dressing; Spicie Foodie

Spring is also a time of renewal. Watching nature blossom around you is inspirational and heart warming. It is a lesson that after a cold, dark time new life can flourish. It is a time to brush off the winter dust and get back on track.

My appetite begins to change from hearty, meaty meals to lighter healthier ones. Which after the long winter is a great way to get back on track. On the official start of spring I make a conscious effort to get back on track and shed the extra winter fat.

Mustard Vinaigrette; Mustard Turmeric Vinaigrette; salad dressing; vinegar; emulsion; mustard; turmeric; olvie oil; thyme; salad; recipe; Spicie Foodie

I get back on track by eating lots of fresh fruits, vegetables and as you see here, salads. Strawberries to me are the first sing that spring is right around the corner or has arrived. They are the first fruit of the warmer months. I can never get enough strawberries and I always look for ways to incorporate them into both sweet and savory dishes. This is my first strawberry recipe of the new season, a sweet, savory, tart, crisp, fresh, delicious and most important healthy salad.

Let’s welcome spring 2012 together and make the salad, shall we?

(If you would like to publish my recipe on your website please quote Spicie Foodie as the recipe creator, and place a link back to the recipe.)
Arugula, Maché Strawberry Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette

Salad amounts are to taste
arugula
maché
strawberries
grape tomatoes
salt, ground black pepper
sunflower seeds

Run the greens, tomatoes, and strawberries over water. Pat dry and gently toss together. Sprinkle salt, pepper and sunflower seeds as desired.

Mustard Vinaigrette for 2-3 servings:
1 sprig of fresh thyme leaves only, crushed *
1 heaping tbsp whole grain mustard
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
pinch salt
pinch pepper
1/8 or sprinkling turmeric
pinch granulated garlic
1/4-1/2 tsp sugar, adjust to taste

* Place the leaves in the container first then crush with back spoon or pestle

Place all of the vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl or a sealable container. Mix or shake vigorously until well combine. Drizzle over salad as desired.

I have to say that this was one of my favorite salads I’ve ever made. The ingredients are so simple, yet there is so much flavor in each bite. Plus all of the colors on your plate make it more enjoyable. I’ll definitely be making this salad through out the spring and summer, or as long as strawberries last.

Make sure you come back on Wednesday. I’ve written a story about my… hmm… clumsiness. Hope to see you then and happy spring 2012 everyone!!

Great spring-ish recipes:
Sunomono with Cucumber and Wakame by Just One Cookbook
Mimosa Freeze by The Ardent Epicure
Rum and Citrus Chicken Kabobs with Stir-Fried Barley by Lemons and Anchovies
Tofu Soup with Pea Shoots and Radish by Kitchen Confidante
Feels Like Early Spring With A Pasta Salad by Tartine and Apron Strings
-CHERRY DELIGHTS – DÉLICES A LA CERISE by Rosa’s Yummy Yums

Spring is nature’s way of saying, “Let’s party!”  ~Robin Williams

Comments

I’m ready for Spring because it is beautiful and leads to Summer! I like your mustardy vinaigrette recipe, sounds wonderful with the arugula and strawberries;-)

Sounds wonderful! It snowed here today (still snowing), my Spring bug will have to be delayed…but I could always fake it with this salad.

Gorgeous salad that I could dive right into, I think strawberries and greens go so well together, now I need to try out your dressing. Photos are beautiful :)

I had to pin this immediately…it sounds heavenly….and it is one beautiful salad! I’m so glad you baked the honey oat bread…I’m wishing I had some more in my freezer :) We skipped spring and went straight to summer…but whatever season this is weatherwise…spring IS euphoric!

Hi Lizzy,

Thank you for the pin! I loved the bread, only made the 1 loaf but it was great. Next time I’ll make the full recipe and freeze or refrigerate the other.

5. Jennifer | Mother Thyme says

This salad has my name written all over it! I love the combination of arugula and strawberries and topped with the mustard vinaigrette is a must try!

I honestly think the strawberries look really beautiful! Like the ones freshly plucked. I love spring time too. Although during these times many people do get allergies. What a perfect way to welcome spring, a strawberry salad!

Hi Jessica,

I got lucky to have found such perfect strawberries this early in the season. I get spring allergies and that is the only thing I do not like about spring. But the good out-weight the bad :) Thank you!

This is my kind of salad, peppery from the greens and sweet from the strawberries. Mustard vinaigrette is one of my go-to dressings but I’ve never tried it with turmeric (love it). I bet it’s good!

I was looking at your links at the end of your post and was pleasantly surprised to see my chicken kabobs! Thanks so much, Nancy! :)

you know this is the only healthy recipe that has come up on my blog list this week! thanks for keeping me on track, and leading me away from temptation :) it looks lovely.

Hi Nancy! I’m attracted to your mustard vinaigrette. I tend to like dressing that has mustard in it (esp Dijon!) but I have never put (or thought of putting) turmeric in the dressing! You got me really curious there. And with strawberries!? And this is your favorite? I MUST TRY. :-) I love the blue boards. So pretty and I love the color contrast. Lots of careful thoughts in your photography that I can learn from…(but usually not sure how to improve haha). :-)

The first fruit and greens mix in a salad I had was spinach and strawberries and ever since then I insist that my salad has fruit! Your creation here does make me think of springtime! Also, the mustard vinaigrette with turmeric is a great way to tie the salad elements together. That is a must for this salad-yum! Enjoy the day!

Happy Spring sweetie! What a gorgeous and refreshing salad…love, love this vinaigrette! I always wish I could eat strawberries, so pretty :) And lovey shots as always…hugs!

We just got a huge dump of snow last night, so Spring is a little behind here, but it’s sure to arrive soon-ish! I can’t wait for strawberry season to try this salad – looks great!

Trackbacks