Sunday Snapshots: Cinnamon Sticks and A Golden Ribbon

Sunday Snapshots; Cinnamon Sticks; golden Ribbon; spice; canella; Spicie Foodie; food photography; food; photography

I love cinnamon don’t you? Today rather than a normal post I will share with you ten things I love about cinnamon.

10 Really Cool Things I Love About Cinnamon

1. I love that cinnamon is a spice which can be used on savory or sweet foods.

2. I love that cinnamon is the inner bark of cinnamon trees.

3. I love that cinnamon has many health benefits. Such as regulating blood sugar, smelling cinnamons stimulates brain activity, it is a natural food preservative, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-parasitic and anti-inflammatory.

4. I love that “Cinnamon is one of the oldest spices known. It was mentioned in the Bible and was used in ancient Egypt not only as a beverage flavoring and medicine, but also as an embalming agent. It was so highly treasured that it was considered more precious than gold.” source

5. I love adding a pinch of ground cinnamon to my tea or coffee in the morning.

6. I love that “Cinnamon bark is one of the few spices that can be consumed directly.” source

7. I love that many of my favorite foods have cinnamon in them, like Mexican chocolate, curry and pumpkin pie.

8. I love that cinnamon pairs well with blueberries, apples, honey, cajeta/dulce de leche.

9. I love that there are several varieties of cinnamon. All look different and all pretty to photograph.

10. But perhaps what I love most about cinnamon is the smell. The smell is aromatic, sweet, and soothing. I love that the scent of cinnamon reminds me of my mother and her homemade avena or oatmeal.

I hope you are all having a great weekend. Happy Sunday!

P.S.
You can signup for March’s YBR tomorrow.

Comments

I used to be super obsessed with cinnamon. Now I’ve branched out to include more spices (thus my blog name — but seriously, I used to ONLY stock cinnamon when I first moved into my own place!). One of my favorite things to do with cinnamon is put a little in tomato sauce — homemade or store-bought. People thought I was crazy for it, but after a few years of doing this I saw Emiril Lagasse doing it on television — I figure that doesn’t make me TOO crazy. I think you’d like it!

Hi Lauren,

Good for you on branching out to more spices. I love cinnamon but there are so many great spices. I don’t think adding cinnamon to your tomato sauce is weird. Many people don’t realize that cinnamon can be used sweet or savory, that’s one of the great things about it. I have used it on other tomato based dishes but never just on tomato sauce, will do soon. Thanks!

Happy Sunday!

yeah I agree cinnamon is quite useful. I use it nearly daily in my cooking, might be savoury or sweet, its so versatile! I started to grow a cinnamon/bayleaf plant, but its growing so slowely. Lovely clicks!

I love cinnamon too!! Actually, it is used in most of spanish traditional desserts. I also put cinnamon in my coffee (when I brew it myself, it’s difficult to do it with capsules ;) though), and tea :D

Like Flavours of the Sun, I love your photos and that’s why I come to your site whenever you post. Cinnamon was the main spice that my grandmother used in her weekly baking. Every Saturday I would sneak across the road from our farm to hers and lick the bowls while she baked for her farmer husband. And then I’d run back to catch the end of my mother’s weekly baking spree. I learned to bake very early, as you can imagine.

Hi Suzanne,

I just love your childhood memory and story. What a tree it was for you to see both your grandmother and mother in action, so to speak. Yes, I can imagine your love of baking began early. Thanks for stopping by :)

I love cinnamon too, but I’m really surprised that I didn’t know where that comes from… it’s inner bark of cinnamon trees (what, there is a cinnamon tree?)… sorry I might have embarrassed myself… lol. I love the smell… and you are right we can enjoy both in savory and sweet dishes. Beautiful photo!

I love the smell. I recently bought Saigon cinnamon and it is so fragant it blows you away. I love it so much that I will have a cinnamon giveaway on wednesday hehe.