Shrimp Creole Inspired by Emeril Lagasse

by Spicie Foodie on April 2, 2012

Creole Shrimp; Shrimp Creole; shrimp; rice; cajun; recipe; easy; Emeril; tomato; celery; seafood; southern; Spicie Foodie

Lately we, hubby and I,  have been craving seafood. Perhaps it is due to the nicer weather which leaves us craving lighter meals or maybe it is because we both love seafood. The only problem with seafood cravings is that we live smack in the middle of Europe. The nearest body of water to us is north, the Baltic Sea.

Being that the Czech Republic does not have an ocean, seafood obviously has to be imported. I couldn’t tell you how much nor ramble off all the seafood varieties that are imported each year. While we always prefer to support local products over imports when it comes to seafood that can be a bit tough. The local fresh fish we eat here is Trout, Walleye aka Pike Perch, and Carp. There is also always a large variety of smoked fishes. While all of those taste great, it can quickly turn boring.

Though there are many seafood restaurants here sometimes we prefer to cook it ourselves. Occasionally at our grocery store we’ll come across fresh sea fishes, Mussels, and shrimp. When the fresh options are not available usually there will be a frozen option. In today’s recipe frozen shrimp is what I used. Since the frozen shrimp was pre-cooked all I had to do was thaw it out before dinner time. If you are lucky enough to have fresh shrimp all you need to do is extend the cooking time or cook it first.

This recipe was based and inspired by Emeril’s Shrimp Creole. Get his recipe here

Shrimp Creole
400 gm or just over 3/4 lb. cooked shrimp
1 medium bell pepper, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 large celery stalk, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 can stewed tomatoes, chopped
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
1-2 tsp cayenne, adjust to taste
1 tbsp Emiril’s Creole Seasoning, I made my own from his recipe
1 cup fish stock or vegetable stock, I used low sodium vegetable
2 tbsp flour

chives to garnish
white rice to serve

1. Heat the oil in a large pot. Saute the onions until soft, then add the celery and saute for 3 minutes. Next add the bell pepper and cook for another 3 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for a minute. Add the flour to the vegetables and stir to well combine. Next add the remaining spices, stewed tomatoes, and stock. Stir, cover and simmer under medium low heat for an hour and a half. Check on the pot now and then.

2. After the hour and a half, taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. If you’ve added more seasoning continue to simmer for a further 10 minutes. Add the cooked shrimp to the pot, allow to simmer for another 3 minutes then turn off heat. Allow to cool before serving over white rice.

More Shrimp Recipes
- Mom’s Shrimp Ball by Just One Cookbook
- Shrimp in a Fiery Coconut Sauce : When Indian meets Brazilian by eCurry
- Thai Shrimp and Grits | A Southern Classic with Spice by Dash of East
- Duet of shrimps – creamy shrimp soup and shrimp cocktail toast by Honest Cooking
- BBQ Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp by Cook & Be Merry
- Chipotle Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa by The Comfort of Cooking
- Camarones Al Mojo de Ajo, Mexican Garlic Shrimp by Spicie Foodie

in American,Fish/Seafood

1 Rosa April 2, 2012 at 6:51 AM

Scrumptious! That flavorful dish looks amazing and so appetizing.

2 Spicie Foodie April 2, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Thank you Rosa!

3 claudia @whats cookin italian cuisine April 2, 2012 at 9:32 AM

These photos make me want to lick the screen nicely done! GREAT presentation its not easy to make rice look good! XO

4 Spicie Foodie April 2, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Hi Claudia,

Now that is a great compliment :) Thank you Claudia! xo

5 Soni April 2, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Even I was craving for some seafood over the weekend and ended up making a Seafood Gumbo too!Love comforting dishes like these!Thanks for sharing :)

6 Spicie Foodie April 2, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Seafood Gumbo sounds delicious! Thanks

7 Maria April 2, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Hi Nancy hope you doing great. I have awarded you as a versatile blogger do check out this link http://www.flavorsofmumbai.com/versatile-blogger-awards/………see you there :)

8 Spicie Foodie April 2, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Thanks Maria! I’ll stop by later.

9 Tina@flourtrader April 2, 2012 at 3:45 PM

This does look delicious! Also, it is very deceiving-it looks like something that took a lot of time in the kitchen. Anything that delivers this big flavor without a lot of kitchen time is a winner to me! Glad you shared this one.

10 Spicie Foodie April 2, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I agree, that’s way it’s a great recipe. Thank you Tina:)

11 Kiri W. April 2, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Mmm, that sounds delicious :) I love creole food even though I haven’t had much of an opportunity to try the real thing down there. It’s on my list though!

12 Spicie Foodie April 2, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Thanks Kiri! I would love to go to New Orleans and have the real deal.

13 Flavors of the Sun April 2, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I know what you mean…I am in the mountains of central Mexico, far from either coast. But we do get some good seafood flown in regularly and some good frozen as well. I love shrimp creole–and your version looks perfect. Such comforting food.

14 Spicie Foodie April 3, 2012 at 8:11 AM

You know exactly what I feel then :) Gracias Victoria!

15 tania@mykitchenstories April 2, 2012 at 8:28 PM

It is quite thought provoking considering no ocean surrounding your country, when mine has 360 degrees ocean. Still you have managed to make a delicious looking dish and as someone else has already pointed out it is hard to make this kind of food look good.I like the orangey colour of it.

16 Spicie Foodie April 3, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Hi Tania,

Yes, it’s also fun to see how our locations affect the foods we cook. Thank you :)

17 Emily @ Life on Food April 2, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Amazing! This looks fabulous. I like a nice balance of seafood out in restaurants and prepared at home. I think you have a winner with this dish.

18 Spicie Foodie April 3, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Thank you Emily!

19 anna April 3, 2012 at 2:12 AM

i recently moved from inland USA to the coast, and i am just getting used to having access to fresh seafood. it’s really a luxury. i will have to get some fresh shrimp soon and try this!

20 Spicie Foodie April 3, 2012 at 8:08 AM

How lucky for you :)

21 Judy@Savoring Today April 3, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Can’t go wrong with Emeril, your dish looks fantastic and the photos are stunning. Making me hungry this morning!

22 Spicie Foodie April 3, 2012 at 11:48 AM

No you really can’t :) Thank you Judy.

23 Maire April 3, 2012 at 1:38 PM

This looks fabulous!

24 Spicie Foodie April 3, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Thank you Maire!

25 Bloggy April 3, 2012 at 1:47 PM

What can be better than this. I love sea food too rather shrimps and prawns are my favorite. Love this recipe and will surely make this one too. Thanks a lot for sharing it.

26 Spicie Foodie April 3, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Thank you!

27 Jen Laceda | Tartine and Apron Strings April 3, 2012 at 2:42 PM

i didn’t know you lived in Czech Republic! Prague? I LOVE Prague and would like to return! I haven’t been down to Louisiana, but anything Creole style, I like-y!

28 Spicie Foodie April 3, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Hi Jen,

Yes :) It’s a beautiful city that makes those who visit long for a visit soon after. Me too, just love Creole food.

29 Magic of Spice April 3, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Beautiful flavors and stunning photos! When you come for a visit I will be sure to make you lots of seafood :)
Hope you are having a great week…hugs!

30 Spicie Foodie April 3, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I’ll remember that Alisha, lol ;) Thanks and hope you are too. Hugsies back!

31 Amy @ Gastronome Tart April 3, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I’ve been craving seafood too! It must be the good weather :) This does look amazing Nancy! Can’t wait to try it!

32 Spicie Foodie April 3, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Hi Amy,

It really must be. Than you Amy :)

33 Pachecopatty April 3, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I would think that this shrimp creole dish would be the perfect cure for your desire for a delicious lively taste of fish! Beautiful pictures and pinned for another day, hopefully for a future dinner;-)

34 Spicie Foodie April 3, 2012 at 6:21 PM

It does really satisfy the cravings. Thank you Patty, I hope you like it :)

35 Yelena April 3, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Our family also loves seafood. Your shrimps looks very delicious.

36 Spicie Foodie April 3, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Thank you Yelena!

37 Liz April 3, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Oh, we have the same troubles here in the middle of the land locked states….but I do enjoy getting some frozen shrimp now and then, too! Your creole looks marvelous…a little spice and tomatoes added to the seafood must taste scrumptious over your fluffy rice~

38 Spicie Foodie April 4, 2012 at 6:48 AM

You can relate to my “seafood problem” then. Thank you Lizzy :)

39 Marsha @ The Harried Cook April 4, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Wow! That looks like one delicious bowl of food! I adore shrimp and this would be a perfect meal for me.. Thanks for sharing this, Nancy! And I think it goes without saying that I think that your pictures are stunning!

40 Spicie Foodie April 4, 2012 at 6:47 AM

It really makes a yummy shrimp meal. Thank you so much Marsha :)

41 Nami | Just One Cookbook April 4, 2012 at 5:19 AM

Wah… I’ve been to a restaurant which serves Creole style food once. It’s been so long that I don’t remember much. This dish looks so good and your picture is confirming how tasty this is! Is it spicy? I probably need to adjust the spice level so kids and I can eat it I think? Other than that, my family will love this dish. And thank you for linking back to my shrimp ball post. =D

42 Spicie Foodie April 4, 2012 at 6:46 AM

Hi Nami,

It wasn’t very spicy, I wish I would have added more-next time. You could always omit the cayenne and add some smoked or sweet paprika for color. My pleasure:)

43 suzanne Perazzini April 4, 2012 at 8:28 AM

We are great lovers of prawns in my family and I am always on the lookout for great recipes which include them. We just had Grilled Prawns with Spaghetti for dinner to celebrate our son’s graduation with a degree in Architecture. I couldn’t be more proud of him especially since he was homeschooled by me, for all except four years which he spent in school.

44 Spicie Foodie April 4, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Congratulations to your Son and family on his graduation Suzanne! What a great meal to celebrate with.

45 Tobias @ T and Tea Cake April 6, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Having just written a paper on Southern Amerian English, I’m kinda in the mood for Southern Cuisine now, so I really appreciate this recipe, Nancy. ;)

About the shrimps: Frankly, I simply could not afford fresh shrimps for a week-night dinner, so the frozen kind is alright with me. Although Germany (hello neighbour, btw haha) has a connection to the ocean, fresh sea food can still be pretty pricey.

Tobias

46 Spicie Foodie April 7, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Oh you are my neighbor? Well hello ;) I would love to read your paper on South American English, sounds interesting.

Have a great weekend Tobias:)!

47 Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb April 7, 2012 at 5:28 AM

I know what you r going through with the seafood in prag. We have the same issue in Tirol, fresh seafood doesnt exist at all! and the frozen tastes differently. when I was younger it didnt bother me since I grew up with that stuff but since I am having seafood every day in goa, I have troubel to enjoy the frozen products.

nonetheless, I would long too for a seafood dish in my native country and I wouldnt think twice making your shrimp creole!

48 Spicie Foodie April 7, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Yes, you understand exactly Helene. The key with frozen seafood is to mask that frozen taste and texture with lots of spices and flavor, lol:) Thanks!

49 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com April 9, 2012 at 5:30 AM

Whenever I see Emeril’s name, it gives me the urge to take a flight into Louisiana. Mmmmmm…

50 Spicie Foodie April 9, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Yes, me too. Wouldn’t it be grand to have him cook for you too?