Moravian Beans and Cornbread For A Rainy Night

*Update: 25-April, Thank you for voting this recipe into Foodbuzz Daily Top 9. Stop by to check out the 8 others.*

My eyes slowly open, it’s another grey spring day. Eventually and lazily I roll out of bed. Wrapping the soft brown shawl around my shoulders as I make my way to the window. Pulling the curtain aside reveals glistening cobblestone sidewalks and terracotta rooftops. It has  been raining overnight. Gazing up I can see the rain has helped the trees bloom, green leaves on all of them. In the background Joanie and Chachi, aka Minions, are now aware that we too are ready to start our day.

The grey day doesn’t deter the Minions from caring on with their boisterous morning routine. Joanie is pacing back and forth, impatiently waiting for the cage door to be opened. I open their cage, seconds later out come the goofy cockatiels. Little kisses for the Minions and off they go to fully stretch their wings. The whole flocks carries on with each of our morning and daily routines.

Rainy grey days can make one feel like an unshakable grogginess comes over our bodies. Those days have a way of making things seem like they are on a slow pace, minutes feel like hours. Rainy days feel like they should be spent under a warm blanket while sipping countless cups of warming drinks. But alas the day must go on and the daily tasks need to be accomplished.

This damp spring day I knew there was only one thing that could bring some sunshine to my kitchen, a hearty warming meal. Beans and cornbread is a perfect rainy day meal. In my kitchen beans and cornbread can take on a few different variations. This grey day they became a fusion of American and Czech flavors. Southern style cornbread, smoked Moravian (region in Czech Republic) pork pulled together with a melange of European spices.

recipe; beans and cornbread; smoked pork; Czech smoked meat; corn bread; white beans; navy beans; radish; juniper berries; marjoram; fusion beans; Czech American Beans; Moravian meat; stews; soups; rainy day meal; food Joy and comfort found in a pot of beans.

(If you would like to publish my recipe on your website please quote Spicie Foodie as the recipe creator, and place a link back to the recipe.)

Moravian Beans and Cornbread (Moravian take on a Southern Classic)
100 grams or 3.5 oz Moravian or your choice of smoked pork, cubed
1 1/4 cup dried white navy beans = 3 1/2 cups cooked
3 cups vegetable broth
1 small onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
10 whole juniper berries
2 small or 1 large bay leaf
1 tsp. dried marjoram
1/2 tsp. ground caraway
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
1-2 tbsp. sunflower oil

Cornbread, try my recipe
thinly sliced radishes, for topping

1. Cook the navy beans until soft. Heat 1 tbsp. of sunflower oil in a pot, add the finely chopped onion and saute until translucent. Once translucent add the cubed Moravian meat or smoked pork. Saute for 5 minutes then add the minced garlic and cook for 2 minutes, if you need to add the remaining sunflower oil to prevent sticking do so now. Stir in all of the spices except the paprika and mix unitl well combined. Add cooked drained beans, stir and add the paprika into the pan. Pour in vegetable broth and stir to well distribute the spices in the broth.

2. Turn heat to medium low and simmer until the broth thickens and it is to the consistency of your liking. Taste and adjust spices if needed.

Serve over corn bread and top with slices of radish.

Hearty, warming, satisfying. Yes, the perfect meal for a cool wet spring night.

P.S.
The YBR signup has gone signup here and start sending in your recipes now!

Comments

I am not a cornbread fan, but my wife loves it. I on the other hand, would adore these beans – maybe I’d even like the cornbread with these :) Nicely done!

The guys would love this! Such beautiful flavors…perfect for a rainy day indeed! In fact it is supposed to rain here all week, so maybe I should me a nice mommy and make
    them some :)

I love smothering cornbread with black-eyed peas, but these moravian beans look like a fabulous alternative! I love the seasoning you used for these beans. Delicious!

We have rain al week here-(( I am cooking comfort food also-)) Love your recipe, will cook that soon, and radishes looks so happy-)

Hi Nancy!

I know how freezing dark europe can be, I dont realy miss it either. O.O
    A hot beans plate sounds indeed perfect for such rainy days. I dont know the original mexican dish but I can tell u that I love the spices u have added to it, the european twist. Kind of hungarian vibes ( I dont know any czech dishes but I guesse there are similiarities in the 2 cuisines). Your cornbread looks awesome too, it surely fits all well together! What I loved the most of the beans dish is that u have added smoked pork. It must be like heaven! thanks a bunch for sharing and creating a lovely, warming, fusion dish.

You are lucky to live in year round sunshine Helene:) This is actually not a Mexican dish, though we do have plenty of bean dishes, it is from the American south. There are a few similarities as you said, even with Germany and Austrian cuisine, well we are neighbors. Thank you!

We have some grey days, even in Southern California. I think tourists are disappointed when they coming during May Grey and June Gloom, our cloudy months. Mmmmm…. cornbread… I’ve seen it with chili but not beans. Definitely worth curling up to!

Very poetic writing and beautiful! I’ve never had corn bread with beans! Very interesting recipe. Today is a cloudy day for us and rain tomorrow for 2 days… and we just had summer weathers for a few days last week. I wish to to taste this!

Look at you with the #1 spot in the Top 9!!! This looks like an amazing meal…and styled and photographed to perfection. Congratulations, Nancy!!!!

I am a HUGE fan of Southern style beans and cornbread – it’s one of the few family tradiitonal dishes I actually have. I am sure I would love this (hey, I already know I love Moravian wine!) Congrats on top 9!!! xoxo

10. melanieinsandiego says

Rain is suppposed to arrive here tomorrow – must be why your recipes seem so very appealing tonight. I love cornbread and beans – will be having this combination as soon as I can find everything I need. Thanks!

Nancy, this is exactly the kind of bean recipe that I’ve been wanting to try–I’m such a novice at preparing bean dishes that my recipes end up being something entirely different than what I intended/wanted. I can’t stop looking at that pot of beans–they look so, so good! This will be my next bean recipe to try, thank you! :)