Sunday Snapshots: The Humble Radish

The Humble Radish; Radish Bunch; Bunch of Radishes; food photography; red; radish; radishes; radish green; edible; root vegetable; vegetable; spicy; photography; Sunday Snapshots; Spicie Foodie

Radishes are a root vegetable belonging to the cabbage family. They, radishes, come in all sorts of colors, shapes, and sizes.

“Radishes were first cultivated thousands of years ago in China, then in Egypt and Greece. Radishes were so highly regarded in Greece that gold replicas were made. The radish did not make its way to England until approximately 1548. By 1629 they were being cultivated in Massachusetts.” *Source

Though low in calories these red beauties are high in potassium, vitamin C, folate (folic acid) and fiber.

Radishes are most commonly eaten with salads, but I also like to use them as toppings, and condiments on Mexican food. Recently I discovered how delicious they taste cooked. (Check out this recipe, Sauteed Radishes With Butter And Chives)

Did you know that radish greens are also edible? They make a great substitute for spinach. I usually add them to soups, stews and Indian Dhal.

The coolest thing I found out about radishes is that there is a festival dedicate to the humble radish in Oaxaca, Mexico. The Noche de Rábanos or Night of the Radishes is held every December 23. Radishes are carved into everything from nativity sets to anything else imaginable, then they are displayed in the town square.

I love the red variety but these white ones have also found a place on my plate. How about you, what is your favorite variety and way of eating radishes? Happy Sunday everyone!

Comments

Nancy…I love the red ones and I normally have them as salad. I must try out cooking them and see how they taste. Great post…now I know that they contains so much nutrients in them :) and that they came from China ! Love them in salad.

Great info about a vegetable I often take for granted–however much I like it. I recently learned, too, that it is delicious sautéed so I would like to try that sometime. I have never used their greens either. Lovely photos, as usual, Nancy!

Hi Jean,

I think many of us take radishes for granted because it seems like just a humble vegetable. Hence the “humble” in my title. Sauteed they taste really good, and the greens are good mixed like spinach greens. Thank you:)

Your photography is fantastic. Love radishes and grow them in my garden. Do those white radishes in your photo taste like daikon radish?

I’m actually making fish burgers tonight, which have a topping of finely chopped radishes, gherkins, capers and other goodies. Radishes create a great sharp flavour which lifts a lot of dishes.

what a fun little feature! i do love radishes. my dad used to eat them raw, dunked in salt. yum. they are also great on tacos and other mexican food like you said!

I’ve been practicing and learning photography for a while now. So it’s really a matter of practice, practice. Thank you:)

Thanks so much for including my sauteed radish recipe! I’m sure it goes without saying that I, too, love radishes. But I love this post, as it’s dedicated to the humble (and wonderful) radish. Gorgeous photos as well!

Wow…very stunning photography! I love the the dramatic feeling I get from your pictures. We make pickles using radish (including green part) and it is so good! Love the bright red accent in the pictures.

You know I love radishes, but your stunning photography makes them downright sexy! And I agree – their cool crispness goes perfectly with Mexican food – we had some tonight with tamales. Next on the agenda was roasting or sauteing them – and now that you suggest it – using the greens also :)