Lemon Garlic Stuffed Brook Trout and Mother’s Day Brunch Ideas

** May 11th Update: Thanks for voting this into Foodbuzz Daily top 9. Check out all top 9 recipes here.**

recipe; how to cook trout; pan fried; Crispy Fish; Crispy Pan Fried Trout; Brook Trout; trout; European; lemon; garlic; pepper; grilled; pan fried; cilantro; healthy; low fat; low calories; olive oil; grilled; Spicie Foodie; fish

You’ve read my previous complaints on the lack of fresh seafood in a landlocked country. But there is one type of fish I can always count on here in Prague, Trout. Most grocery stores carry Trout alongside the ever present Carp.

Hubby informs me that the Trout species available at our local grocery store are always either Rainbow trout or Brook trout. The trout you see here is local Brook trout. We both love trout and really enjoy both Brook and Rainbow species.

You may have noticed the ongoing theme with my fish recipes. When it comes to fish I like to keep it simple so we can fully enjoy the particular fish’s flavor. Lemon and garlic are more or less the flavors I like pairing with fish. That is exactly what I did with this Brook trout recipe. When I eat whole fish I want it grilled or lightly pan-fried to crispy perfection. The reason being is that I love the way the crispy skin tastes. Don’t think I didn’t hear those ewws and yucks. It’s what I like and besides it’s loaded with omega 3. Another really great thing to love about fish dishes is that they take so little time to prepare. Here, I’ll show you how fast and easy it is.

(If you would like to publish my recipe on your website please quote Spicie Foodie as the recipe creator, and place a link back to the recipe.)
Lemon Garlic Stuffed Brook Trout or Pan Fried Brook Trout

2 whole rainbow or brook trouts, scaled and gutted
1 large lemon, thinly sliced
4 thinly sliced garlic cloves, or much as desired
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper corns
splash of white wine, optional
good quality extra virgin olive oil

extra large frying pan or grill

serving suggestions:
extra lemon, if desired
steamed rice, garlic creamed spinach, or fresh green salad

1. Pat dry trout, rub the whole fish with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place a couple or few lemon slices and as many as desired garlic slices into fish cavity. (We do this to add the flavors and scents to the meat.)You may have both lemon and garlic slices leftover, set them aside.

2. Heat a tablespoon or two of olive oil in an extra large frying pan or grill pan. Once hot gently place the whole trouts on it, fry for about 8 minutes. Gently flip, add a splash or two of white wine, at this point if you have any extra garlic added to the pan. Fry/cook the fish for another 8 minutes, or until all liquid has been absorbed and the fish skin is nice and crispy. Cooking times may vary depending on fish size and weight. Make sure the fish feels firm before serving.

Serve with side dish of your  choice. By the way, this cooking technique and ingredients taste great with other whole fish too. Enjoy!

Mother’s Day is in a few days, do you need some brunch ideas? Check these out.

recipe; Mother's Day, Brunch, ideas, tomato tar, asparagus, salads, eggs, breakfast, Spicie Foodie;

Asparagus Goat Cheese Tart
Flaky Roasted Tomato and Parmesan Tart
Pain Perdu – French Toast
Untraditional Croque Madame
Arugula, Maché Strawberry Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette
Persimmon, Avocado and Serrano Ham Salad
Flower Showers, Spring Serenade, Gourmet Greens and Tangerines

Comments

Wow this looks amazing!!!!! Getting excited because I will be having fish for dinner so seeing this just makes me crave it more. Happy early Mother’s Day!

I adore whole trout, my dad makes a fantastic almond version :) There’s a place near my home in Germany where you can fish for your own trout and then have it cooked for you.
    Looks like a fantastic recipe!

Hi Kiri,

Trout with almond is so popular here and it does taste good. That sounds like so much fun I need to find a place like that here. Thank you:)

Living by the sea in an island nation, I can’t imagine what it must be like to not have ready access to seafood of all kinds. I must admit I am not so good with eating whole fish. I like to get at my food without any fiddling. On the contrary, my husband loves to fight for his food and would thoroughly enjoy this recipe.

Hi Suzanne,
      How lucky for you and I’m sure it would be difficult to go from that to no seafood. You could used the same ingredients on fillets if you’d like. Thanks!

This is a nice simple yet elegant fish. Your photos are lovely as well. Plus the asparagus goat cheese tart which I must have missed sounds sinful. I will definitely be preparing g both.

Sounds delicious. I used to be intimidated by whole fish recipes but once I got up the courage to make steamed branzini I have fallen in love with whole fish recipes. Can’t wait to try this!

Hi Vicky,

I’m actually not sure why people are so intimidated by whole fish. It isn’t any harder than fillets. But as you said once you try it you realize how good and easy whole fish is. Thank you:)

Lemon and garlic are great with any fish and so simple. This looks great, I don’t think I’ve ever had trout.

I didn’t know you were in Prague. I’m hoping to visit there this July.

Hi Nancy! We love fish and cook pretty often. I’ll use your recipe soon for some kind of trout or white fish that goes well with the lemon/garlic. This sounds good… And your pictures! WOW. I’m truly enjoying your creativity from your posts. :-)

I love fish.. but I have never cooked it whole like this. It’s a spectacular presentation!
    PS… Happy Birthday for tomorrow. :) I hope you have a fabulous day. :)

Hi Ramona,

You should give it a try sometime. Thank you and a very Happy Birthday to you tomorrow too! We’re so cool because we share a b-day, hehe ;)

i’m from a landlocked state in the usa, so i’m pretty illiterate when it comes to seafood. but i do love my trout, as that’s one of the few fish that grow around here! this looks great!

I completely agree with you – crispy skin is delicious! I don’t know why people don’t like it. This whole fish dish looks simple and perfect.

This dish brings back some memories I have as a kid. My parents taught me and my sister the novelty of going to the local lake with a rod and some line, then bringing home dinner to cook in a frying pan. Simple, but classic and always delicious. Congratulations on making the foodbuzz Top 9!

Mouthwatering!! seriously :) I love such kind if fish fry , except the husband won’t eat unless it’s skinless.. boneless and headless!!

I just saw this on RecipeNewZ. What an amazing recipe. Trout is my favorite fish these days. I am not such a big expert, though, and buy fillets, and not the whole fish. I also normally use some kind of sweet glaze, the latest was lingonberry. But now I want to try your seasoning – it must be delicious with white wine, garlic and lemon :-). This is certainly my next trout! Thank you for sharing :-).

P.s. You are probably tired of me praising your photos, but I just can’t help myself! You’re a genius! I can envision a 5-star restaurant with a gallery of your photos in the waiting area to get people really hungry :-).

Hi Jenn,

I have never had any issue with small bones. I think as long as you take small bites and take the time to chew, if there are any small bones, you will be okay. Enjoy!

Trackbacks