Hubby’s Grilled Bratwurst and Sauerkraut Sandwich Recipe

by Spicie Foodie on May 14, 2012

recipe; German; sausage; bratwurst; Bratwurst sandwich; cabbage; sauerkraut; horseradish; mustard; onion; baguette; fried potatoes; potatoes; spicy; manly meals; food; man friendly; easy; fast; bbq; grilled; for him; Spicie Foodie

When I got married I didn’t know how to cook. I wasn’t completely useless, it hardly ever happened but I could follow package instructions with decent results. When it came to real cooking, from scratch and winging it, that was not something I did or was interested in doing. We used to eat most of our meals at restaurants, occasionally hubby would cook and every once in a while we feasted on our family’s cooking. All those take-out and sit down meals in restaurants probably weren’t the most economical or waistline friendly, but we did enjoy them very much.  We were young(er), newly married, childless, wild professionals enjoying the good life. Much of that still applies and we do still enjoy restaurants but just not at the rate we once did.

I am lucky that the man I married isn’t a macho man who expects me to do all the cooking and housework. For the first 7 years of our marriage hubby did all the cooking. Hubby’s cooking was great training for me, in fact he taught me a lot of what I know now. When he would cook for us I would sit in the kitchen watching him and occasionally helping out. It was not only a learning experience for me but something I really enjoyed. As he cooked dinner we enjoyed a drink and chatted about what ever was happening in our lives. My husband is a fantastic cook and I got to reap the rewards of his delicious cooking. Nowadays I do the majority of the cooking. Unfortunately our kitchen isn’t always big enough for one let alone two people. So the times we cook together are very few and far between.

Yesterday morning as I was preparing Joanie and Chachi’s breakfast hubby came into the kitchen to say he was making me breakfast. I was asked to leave the kitchen and not come back. So I did what I rarely do, obeyed, and left the kitchen. Some clattering and expletives could be heard coming from the kitchen (he doesn’t understand what I call kitchen organizing). A few minutes later he comes out with a fabulous looking omelette. I was so happy because hubby makes the best omelets in the world! Alongside my omelet I got perfect lightly toasted bread, just the way I like it, tea and orange juice. It all tasted fantastic and was a perfect breakfast. When I asked why I got an omelet for breakfast he said that I had mentioned a craving for one a couple of days ago. I had completely forgotten but my sweetheart did not.

The special treatment didn’t stop there. Nope, this chica also got dinner made for her. How special am I? Very. It just so happens that the dinner he choose is not only one of my favorite meals but also another food I’ve been craving. He made me or us another of his specialties, Grilled Bratwurst and Sauerkraut Sandwiches. These sausage sandwiches are so good that they turned me, someone who always hated sausages, into someone who craves these and often. Though I’ve had a good share of delicious Bratwurst in restaurants nothing compares to hubby’s Grilled Bratwurst and Sauerkraut Sandwiches. You really need to try them to see how amazing they taste.

(If you would like to publish my recipe on your website please quote Spicie Foodie as the recipe creator, and place a link back to the recipe.)
Hubby’s Grilled Bratwurst and Sauerkraut Sandwiches
1 med onion, cut into slivers
pack bratwurst, we used a 330 g or 7 small pack
1 pack of German style sauerkraut, drained
3 tsp brown Bavarian or German mustard
2 tbsp horseradish
oil
baguettes

Heat the oil and saute the onions until soft and translucent. Next add the drained sauerkraut, mustard and horseradish. Saute and stir frequently for about 8 minutes. Push the sauerkraut mix to the side and add the bratwurst. Cook until sausages are hot and cooked through.

Serve on a baguette or rolls, if desired spread extra mustard on bread. Serve alongside your favorite potatoes. (I’ll be sharing ours on Wednesday.)

I’m so lucky to have a husband who is not only my best friend but also one that can cook a mean Brat. Hehe. What can I say, he spoils me. Seriously he is a great cook and an even better husband. I hope you try his recipe soon. Tomorrow is our wedding anniversary and today is our little Joanie’s hatching day, she (or he, but more on that another time) is turning one. So happy anniversary to hubby and happy hatching day to Joanie.

Inca Berry, fresh, raw, cape gooseberry, physallis, fruit, Sunday Snapshots, Spicie Foodie, minions

P.S.
Bratwurst and sandwiches are really hard to photograph. Have any tips for me?

in European,For Him,Sandwiches

1 Rosa May 14, 2012 at 6:29 AM

Fantastic! That sandwich is perfect and mouthwatering. I love all those ingredients.

Happy Anniversary, happy birthday to your hubby and happy hatching day to the cute Joanie!

2 Spicie Foodie May 14, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Hi Rosa,

Thank you! I’ll let them know, hehe :)

3 Trix May 14, 2012 at 10:26 AM

We really do have a a lot in common, you know! We lived in NYC for the first 8 years of our relationship and we ate out and got take out ALL THE TIME and the rest of the time, until the last year or two there, hubs did the cooking. I was useless. And he still treats me to an occasional surprise when I am not commandeering the kitchen! hee. These look fabulous, my dear – definitely craveworthy! Nice job, Mr. Spicie Foodie!!

4 Spicie Foodie May 14, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Hi Trixie,

Wow, we really do. Thank you I’ll let him know:)

5 Baker Street May 14, 2012 at 1:40 PM

That sandwich looks incredible! It would surely make for a perfect meal. :)

6 Spicie Foodie May 14, 2012 at 7:07 PM

7 Jenn and Seth (@HomeSkilletCook) May 14, 2012 at 4:40 PM

these look soooo good, i just love a good bratwurst with sauerkraut!

8 Spicie Foodie May 14, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Thank you Jenn and Seth!

9 Ramona May 14, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Hey… your photography is so wonderful that the raw brats looks like I could eat them. :) I hope you had a great Birthday weekend. You are lucky you have a hubby that is good in the kitchen. My husband can make eggs and toast. :) PS… if you were a non-cook before… you have sure come a long way….. now you’re an expert. :)

10 Spicie Foodie May 14, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Hi Ramona,

Thank you:) Yes, I’m very lucky that my husband is such a great cook. Far from an expert, I still have so much to learn.

11 Flavors of the Sun May 14, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Bratwurst sandwiches may be hard to photograph, but you made this one look delicious.

12 Spicie Foodie May 14, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Thank you Victoria!

13 Rowena @ Apron and Sneakers May 14, 2012 at 7:42 PM

What a wonderful husband you have! I didn’t get breakfast in bed yesterday but my husband has been taking me coffee in bed everyday. :-) I think I only eat bratwursts and sauerkraut whenever I am in Germany because they are so good so this sandwich recipe of your husband is a keeper! I would like to recreate those wonderful meals. Thanks for sharing! And happy anniversary and happy hatching day!

14 Spicie Foodie May 15, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Hi Rowena,

I’m pretty lucky:) Coffee in bed is also very sweet. Thank you and I do hope you try it soon.

15 Suzanne Perazzini May 14, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I think you did a great job with a difficult subject. My husband cooks three times a week and I do the rest ao I never tire of cooking because I get a break. I had sandwiches like these many years ago when I visited Austria and I still remember them so they must have been good.

16 Spicie Foodie May 15, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Hi Suzanne,

That is great, I love that you split the cooking. Thank you!

17 cookingrookie May 14, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Looking at your recipes now I can’t believe that there was a time when you did not know how to cook ;-).
But no matter how good a cook you are, it’s always great to be pampered, and to have your meal cooked for you! My bf had also made me dinner yesterday, and whatever the food, the effort counted more :-). Your hubby’s sandwich looks really good! If it’s hard to photograph bratwurst and sandwiches, you can’t say that looking at your shots – they look great!
I should show this recipe to my bf to give him more culinary ideas.

18 Spicie Foodie May 15, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Hi Elana,

It is always good be pampered, hehe:) You are correct it doesn’t matter the food it’s the effort and thought that counts. Luckily though I get good meals too:) Thank you!

19 TastefullyJulie May 15, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Your photos are great! You can even make raw brats look good. My hubby likes to “cook” once in a while but usually it involve opening boxes and packets of seasoning mix. Ummm…

20 Spicie Foodie May 15, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Hi Julie,

Hehe, well that’s better than nothing:) Thank you!

21 anna May 15, 2012 at 1:46 AM

i love a man who cooks! mmm and brats and sauerkraut make such a great combo. also nice bird!

22 Spicie Foodie May 15, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Nothing sexier, right Anna? Thanks!

23 Eha May 15, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Am truly laughing: Being born in Estonia of a mostly Baltic German family guess what I grew up on? Bratwurst and sauerkraut :) ! Never had them in this form tho’!! What fun! And thank God you only cook the bloomin’ sauerkraut for 8 mins + sausage bliss, ’cause the ruddy Estos add a pile of lard, another of sugar and cook the blessed sauerkraut to a browned death :D ! [OK, if you have never heard of saturated fat etc, it DOES taste good!].

24 Spicie Foodie May 15, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Hi Eha,

Yummy :) You know they also use sugar and lard in Czech cabbage. I don’t call it sauerkraut because it’s not sour but rather sweet, not a fan. Thanks!

25 dassana May 15, 2012 at 5:13 AM

happy birthday to your hubby, happy anniversary to both of you & happy hatchin day to joanie…..

loved the play of light and shadows in your photos. simply superb…..

26 Spicie Foodie May 15, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Hi Dasana,

27 Nami | Just One Cookbook May 15, 2012 at 5:28 AM

What? You didn’t know how to cook? That was a surprising news to me! You do so well now that it didn’t come to my mind at all. ;-)

Delicious sandwich recipe! You were lucky you didn’t have to cook. I am fine if my husband cooks for me. =D I’ll just relax and do the dishes. He cooks occasionally but now I cook most of the time. I can’t wait for the potato recipe as I love potatoes…

Also, Happy Anniversary to you two. Your b-day and wedding anniv is so close to each other. Must be celebration week for you guys, oh and with Joanie. :-)

28 Spicie Foodie May 15, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Hi Nami,

It’s true, not proud of it but it’s true. Lol. Yes, I’m very lucky. May is always so hectic with all the celebrations going on. Thank you:)

The potatoes are coming up tomorrow.

29 Catalina @ Cake with Love May 15, 2012 at 1:16 PM

This is one great recipe, I love all the ingredients, and your photos are beautiful!

30 Spicie Foodie May 16, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Hi Catalina,

Thank you :)!

31 Laura @ Family Spice May 15, 2012 at 5:10 PM

It must be my Russian side of me talking, but I have a private love affair with brats & sausages! Totally, totally delicious! My neighbors are from the mid-west, a high-consuming bratwurst community, and they insist the only way to cook a brat, is to slow-cook it in beer first, then finish it off on the grill. Either way, I’m all in! And, Happy Anniversary!

32 Spicie Foodie May 16, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Hi Laura,

I didn’t know you had Russian blood, but yes people on this side of Europe sure eat a lot of sausage and cabbage. I’ve never tried cooking it in beer first, sounds good. Thank you :)

33 easyfoodsmith May 16, 2012 at 5:21 AM

You sure are lucky to have a hubby who can dish our such amazing food!! Mine can’t cook to save his life ;-)

34 Spicie Foodie May 16, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Hi Taruna,

Yes I am, hehe:) You need to teach him them.

35 Magic of Spice May 20, 2012 at 4:08 PM

What a sweet post! My boys would go crazy for this sandwich I assure you!
And a very Happy Belated Birthday to Joanie! Hope you both had a wonderful anniversary with many, many more to come!

36 Spicie Foodie May 21, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Thank you, thank you :)!

37 Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb May 22, 2012 at 11:18 AM

YUMM! Just made sauerkraut 2 days back. man I missed this food with home made knödel and knacker sausages and beer of course! I am not such a fan of bavarian sausages, so I d rather choose diffferent ones, thouch I love the idea of eating it all in a sausage with kren mustard. =PPP

38 Spicie Foodie May 22, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Really? That is so great! Now your making me hungry. I know how great it can be to have a taste of home. So happy for you:)