Eggless Yogurt Corn Muffins and May’s YBR Signup

**May 29th update: Submission’s for May’s YBR are now closed. Please join us Wednesday, May 30, for the roundup or next month for June’s edition.**

recipe; corn muffins; yogurt; spicy; cayenne; jalapeno; chile; green chile pepper; eggless; no egg; Spicie Foodie

I’ve always loved spicy food. Perhaps it is because I’m Mexican and many of our dishes are spicy. But let’s be clear when I say spicy I don’t mean mouth burning spicy. I don’t like food which is so spicy that all you taste and feel is the acidity of the chilies. No, I want my food spicy but also want to be able to taste all the other flavors in the dish. Maybe what I consider spicy is mild to others, and maybe what I consider mild is spicy to others. My husband, who is not Mexican, thinks what I consider spicy is mild. I don’t agree with him but then again that is coming from someone (him) who has successfully eaten Phall Curry on several occasions. (If you’ve never heard of Phall look it up.)

recipe; corn muffins; yogurt; spicy; ingredients; flour; corn flour; eggless; no egg; Spicie Foodie

The past month I’ve been craving nothing but spicy food. It seems like I can’t go more than a day or two without eating something spicy. Of course my chile-head husband isn’t complaining. That man could eat spicy with every meal and for days on end. How a Caucasian man can eat and tolerate heat like that is beyond me. Should I be embarrassed that he can tolerate chile more than I?

Needless to say this ongoing chile craving I’m having is making it’s way into almost all of our food. As I gathered the ingredients to make these eggless yogurt corn muffins I imagined how good they would taste with some chile. I know adding chiles, or jalapeños, to corn muffins isn’t anything new. But it was something I had been wanting to try. The muffins turned out great. They were a little spicy, crumbly on the outside, soft and moist on the inside. I know some of you don’t like corn bread or muffins because they tend to be dry, but that is not the case here. I think the yogurt is what helped these muffins come out softer then other batches.

(If you would like to publish my recipe on your website please quote Spicie Foodie as the recipe creator, and place a link back to this recipe page.)

Eggless Yogurt Corn Muffins

1 cup (140 g) corn meal
1 cup (140 g) a.p. flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1.5 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. light brown sugar
2 tbsp. melted butter or vegetable oil
1 cup (240 g) greek yogurt
1/2 cup (125ml) plus 2 tbsp. milk
1 small green chile, seeded and finely chopped- adjust to taste

1. Preheat oven to 180c or 350f, and prepare a muffin pan. In a large bowl sift together both of the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar, then set aside. In a separate bowl, combine the yogurt, milk, melted butter or oil, and green chile. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, until just combined. Pour the batter into the muffin pan, filling 3/4 of the way. Place in center of oven and bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through.

Allow to cool before serving.

The next day we had leftovers with cream cheese and Jalapeño Jelly. They were so, so good that I only wished I had another batch. Okay, let’s move on to May’s YBR signup.

Show me Your Best Recipes

It’s time to signup for another edition of YBR. But before you do please help me congratulate Tania of My Kitchen Stories on winning April’s Honest Cooking feature. This was Tanias’s winning recipe, Chocolate and Salted Caramel Tarts Stay tuned to see Tania’s post on Honest Cooking.

Most of you know how it works, but those that don’t please read the full rules on the YBR page here: YBR How To Participate . Thank you and welcome to another moth of YBR!

Very important and in order to participate: Please, Please submit/email your information in the following format:

DEADLINE TO PARTICIPATE IS Tuesday May 29th. The round up will be Wednesday May 30.

-Your Name
– Your Blog Name
– Name and link to your chosen recipe
– A small image of your dish. You must own the photo, and it cannot be a creative commons or public domain photo.
– Say whether you’d like to be included in the draw for the Honest Cooking feature. (Participation is optional, and open to those not currently contributing to Honest Cooking.)

- Email  the above to spiciefoodie (@ ) gmail.com

Make sure you’ve added a YBR button/badge to your website. Download it here

If you fail to submit all the required information you risk not being included in the roundup.  As you can imagine having to chase after or figure out the proper names and links for your posts is very time consuming. So please adhere to my request. Thank you guys! If you need any help or clarifications post a comment or send me an email.

~ APRIL’S YBR PARTICIPANTS ~
-Victoria C., Flavors of the Sun
- Emily, Life On Food
-Trix, Tasty Trix
- Alisha~Magic of Spice, The Ardent Epicure
- WON’T YOU JOIN US?

Comments

These muffins look great! I’ve actually been searching for a recipe like this :)

Would love to join YBR again this month!

Gorgeous muffins. I just figured out why your photography is so beautiful…. it’s like poetry. There is so much just than the picture.. There is light.. shadow… nuance. Really striking. :) I’ll send you an email soon regarding my YBR. :0)

Hi Nancy! Count me this month’s YBR! I love baking with Greek yogurt and your corn muffins look great, amazing how well baked goods, like muffins, turn out without using eggs.

As always, I love your photos with the play of light and shadow. I would love to use the light like that but when I do, my photos are rejected by Foodgawker as having lighting issues, which frustrates me no end. Do they only want photos with all light and no depth? Maybe I am doing it wrong. Do all your photos get accepted by them? I have had many accepted but sometimes they reject what I think are the more interesting ones photographically. I am confused.

Hi Suzanne,

Thank you! Foodgawker, and other sites alike, are hard to understand and know exactly what they want. Many of my photos get rejected by them for a variety of issues. It’s kind of like throwing photos at them and see which stick, lol. Tomorrow I have a tutorial all about those websites. I hope you find some useful information.

I agree with what Suzanne says about the play of light and shadows in your photos. So lovely–always. And this is a great recipe that I have bookmarked as a definite recipe to make–I love corn muffins, corn bread,…all of them, and this is a nice twist.

6. Eha says

A baker I am definitely not, but I DO feel seduced by these corn muffins: ‘hello’ yogurt, ‘goodbye’ eggs, these look so moreish! Weekend coming [a day earlier for us :) !] : have put it on my agenda . . .

mmmm I’ve been thinking of making corn muffins. I might try these, the pepper sounds awesome.

I love burn your face off spicy food, but there is something extra special about food where still taste all the flavors and is also spicy. I think it takes a good cook who understand spices really well.

I love these corn muffins and it is so cool that you used yogurt. I have to agree with you on the spicy food idea about eating spicy food that doesn’t burn your mouth. You end up spending half of your meal drinking water to cool down your mouth. Hope all is well!

I’m craving these now…I have had my mind set on making some corn muffins for a while now I’m going to do thanks for nudge :) Beautiful Photos as always xoxox my friend

oo i bet the greek yogurt makes these really soft and delicious. i love the sweet/spicy combination in chili cornbread. looks great!

Every Friday, I share my favorite food finds in a series called Food Fetish Friday. I love this post so much I’m featuring it as part of the roundup (with a link-back and attribution) and I hope you have no objections. It’s a pleasure following your creations…

Oh we love spicy too! Great recipe. This will be my first time participating in YBR, can’t wait to see what everyone makes!

13. Steph says

These look great. I’m planning on trying them tomorrow and will report back on how I fare ;) One question though- I’m assuming you add the butter/oil with the rest of the wet ingredients? And did you personally use butter or oil in the muffins pictured above? Thanks!

Hi Steph,

Oops, thanks for catching the typo. Yes, you add the butter/oil to the rest of the wet ingredients. I used oil to rub the muffin tin, then Lightly dusted it with flour, make sure you discard the extra flour. Have fun and I hope you like them as much as we did:) Thanks!

I think my “spicy” ideal is right along with yours, and I am pretty sure your hubby and Adam, aside from the computer stuff would be insuperable :) I love the use of yogurt here and I imagine them to be incredibly moist and flavorful!

Trackbacks