Stir Fried Asparagus and Father’s Day Meal Suggestions

Asparagus, oyster sauce, red pepper flakes, lemon, side dish, vegetable, Spicie Foodie

Growing up I don’t think I ever ate asparagus in my Mexican home. I can’t think of one authentic Mexican dish using asparagus. Can any of you? Come to think of it I think the first time I ate asparagus was after my boyfriend, now husband, introduced me to them. What I do remember is that ever since that first bite I fell in love. (That would be bite of asparagus…then again there might have been a few bites of the boyfriend. Just kidding.)

Asparagus is the vegetable I most look forward to every spring. Unfortunately the season is quite short but at least jarred asparagus is available year round. To fully enjoy the asparagus taste I like to keep it simple. My favorite ways of eating asparagus are steamed or lightly sauteed in a little olive oil. This season I also experimented by stir frying it as you see here. I think this just might be our new favorite way of eating asparagus. The first time I cooked this recipe I pushed aside the main dish and stuffed myself on the asparagus. The season is ending soon and supplies are starting to dwindle so we are trying to take full advantage while it lasts.

As you can see from all the photos I was really inspired by the beautiful fresh asparagus. I’m only showing 9 photos but I shot about 50. Crazy I know, but just look at how beautiful they are.

Before we get to the recipe let’s talk asparagus facts. Asparagus officinalis is native to Europe, northern Africa and western Asia, though it is now cultivated around the world. The top asparagus producers are China, followed by Peru and America. In Germany there is an annual festival called Spargelfest celebrating white asparagus. North-eastern Germany is well known  as a producer and large exporter of white asparagus. There are three types of asparagus, green, white and a sweeter purple variety. If I had to pick my favorite between green or white asparagus the green variety would be my first choice.

Asparagus is low in calories, a good source of vitamin B6, calcium, magnesium and zinc, dietary fiber, protein, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, thiamin, riboflavin, rutin, niacin, folic acid, iron, phosphorus, potassium, copper, manganese and selenium. So not only great tasting but great for your health too.

(If you would like to publish my recipe on your website please quote Spicie Foodie as the recipe creator, and place a link back to the recipe.)

Stir Fried Asparagus In Oyster Sauce and Red Pepper Flakes
1 bunch fresh green asparagus (500 gm or 1 lb)
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes *please note I added them after I shot the photos
1/2 tsp granulated garlic or 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbs water or unsalted vegetable broth
olive oil or oil of your choice

lemon, if desired

1. Thoroughly clean the asparagus as there may be extra dirt hidden in the stalks. I like to cut off about 1/2 inch or 1.25 cm off the bottom. Cut off as much or little as you choose. A good tip is to cut just above where the stalk starts becoming softer than the woody harder bottom ends. Cut asparagus diagonally into small pieces. In a small bowl combine soy sauce, oyster sauce and water, set aside. Heat the oil, cook the garlic and pepper flakes for 1 minute. Next add the asparagus, cook for about 3 minutes. Next pour the sauce mix and gently stir until asparagus is well coated. Continue cooking over low to medium low heat until you achieve desired asparagus texture. In total I cooked my for about 8 minutes. Right before serving squeeze lemon juice over asparagus if desired. Drizzle sauce from pan over asparagus.

Serve asparagus as desired. It can be a side dish or serve with steamed Jasmine or Basmati rice for a light lunch.

Father’s Day is on Sunday and I thought I’d share some Spicie Foodie recipes the fathers in your life will love.
Meatball Subs
Grilled Bratwurst and Sauerkraut Sandwich
Broiled Horsey Chops with Savory Apples
Spicie Roasted Potatoes
Lemon Garlic Stuffed Brook Trout
Untraditional Croque Madame or French Ham, Cheese and Egg Sandwich
25 Man Approved Valentine’s Day Meals, this post has many Man approved recipes

Have a great Wednesday everyone!

Comments

A perfect combination! I am addicted to yster sauce.

Goregous clicks. I particularly like the first and third ones.

The only asparagus I ever ate as a child is that really soft asparagus that comes out of the can. I remember when I tried REAL asparagus cooked lightly at a nice restaurant. It was a completely different in taste and texture. I love asparagus now but have never tried the “white” asparagus. I would love to try that.

Beautiful dramatic photos Nancy! I’ve never photographed asparagus, now you’ve inspired me;-). We love asparagus and in California we grow it so there is plenty in the markets during the season. I like to blanch and grill asparagus with a little olive oil and sea salt. I like your simple recipe too, best to keep it simple and let the asparagus flavor shine through! Happy Wednesday!

Asparagus is my favorite vegetable. Grilled or oven-roasted are the most popular ways I prepare them now but I can’t tell you how often my mom cooked them in oyster sauce. Your post just brought back some lovely memories of my childhood eats.

Nancy, I could sit here and stare at these gorgeous pictures all day, especially the first one. It is one of my favorite set ups for a photo but of course I can’t ever make mine look this good. So lovely!

Hi Jean,

I’ve never tried it oven roasted, sounds great.

Your photos are fantastic so I don’t know what you’re talking about. Thank you so much Jean:)

Your photos could certainly turn a person on to asparagus, not that it is necessary with me. It’s great just with butter, salt and lemon juice to bring out the subtle flavours. I will have to try to remember your combination of flavours for when the season comes back around here.

6. Eha says

Oo-aa! My very favourite vegetable too: spring has sprung when artichokes and asparagus appear in the markets. But have never had the common sense to apply the Asian touch: mostly steam and use an intersting dipping sauce. So, thank you!!! And yes, these photos are absolutely superb: so elegant for a stylish vegetable :) ! Funny world: in Australia we celebrate Father’s Day in spring, in September . . .

Absolutely gorgeous pictures of asparagus!!!! I can’t decide which one I like the most because they are all beautiful. I love the recipe – tasty and easy!

mmm i fell in love with asparagus at first bite too! for me it was in college. it’s hard to improve on its taste, so i just do it simple, steamed with lemon juice and a little salt. oyster sauce and pepper flakes sound amazing too!

That’s interesting that you didn’t eat asparagus growing up. I think Asparagus is not a typical Japanese vegetables but I think I had some growing up. But wait… did I??? LOL. It became such a common veggie in MY household and I cook often, so I might be confused. I actually don’t remember my mom used for cooking much! LOL. The oyster sauce and asparagus is great match. I would love this!

Asparagus are just a stunning beauty, yes! These look amazing and I just love the photos! And the recipe has such wonderful flavors to complement…beautiful!

Trackbacks