Pepinos Con Chile y Limon Or Cucumbers with Chile and Lime (vegan)

pepinos con chile y limon, cumbers with chile and lemon, snack, Mexican, spicie Foodie

This morning I opened my eyes up to another sunny summer day. I cannot tell you how happy sunny days make me. There is just something so wonderful about waking up to the warmth of sunshine on your face. It always leaves me feeling energized and ready to start the day.

The fist thing I do after waking up is open all the windows in the house. Well, all except Joanie and Chachi’s windows. I love feeling the summer breeze flow through the flat. Outside I hear people bustling about. The sounds of children running by, playing and laughing can be heard throughout the day.

At midday I poked my head out the window, there were so many people strolling by. There’s a mother pushing a stroller, and children walking behind her licking gelato cones. Those scenes often repeated throughout the day. Today as I watched the children I could feel that summer enthusiasm I once had as a child. You know, that feeling you get when school is out and the summer is yours to do whatever you please.

I began thinking about my sisters and brothers. How we spent our summer days running around, cooling off at the pool, going for ice cream, eating our favorite summer foods, and all the family picnics. I started to remember how we loved to eat cucumbers drizzled with fresh lime juice, sprinkled with loads of chile powder and a pinch or two of salt. After all the cucumbers were gone then we’d lift up the bowl to our mouths and drink the remaining juices.

Recalling those summer memories made me miss my siblings and also made my mouth water for some pepinos. Since my family lives on the other side of the world, and I can’t just stop by for a visit, I decided to snack on some cucumbers. There really isn’t much of a recipe. Ingredient amounts are a matter of personal preference. But below is a what you’ll need.

Pepinos Con Chile y Limon Or Cucumbers with Chile and Lime
peeled cucumber, sliced or cut into spears or chunks
lime juice
chile powder or Tajin or any Mexican fruit seasoning powder
salt

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and enjoy as a snack. I like to add chile powder as I eat. Some bites have more and other’s less chile, it’s up to you. Don’t forget to drink the juice left at the bottom, it’s the best part.

Each bite satisfied my belly and made my heart content. I think these cucumbers will forever remain a favorite summertime snack and memory.

P.S.
Please come back on Wednesday for another special guest post.

Comments

I love this simple cucumber recipe…so delicious and refreshing on a hot summer’s day. I have those same sorts of childhood memories…most of it done with bare feet…such fun we had.

2. Eha says

Love cucumbers; love the simplicity of the very attractive salad! Fascinated by the black/gold-toned spoon and fork you have used. I collected similar in the olden days from Thailand – may I ask from where your beautiful pieces come? [or have I read too fast and missed this?]

Hi Eha,
      Wow, I love how much attention you paid to my utensils and photos:) Yes, in fact they are from Thailand. Well, I actually bought them in a antique shop here in Prague, but they say Thailand. I don’t think they are actual antiques, didn’t cost too much, but I did fall in love with them.

Incredibly easy yet it’s completely new flavor on cucumbers that I’m so curious to try! I am with you – sometimes I miss my home and my family, but cooking really helps to cope with some homesickness. :-) Hope you get to see your family soon!

Yes really so easy and perfect for the summer. I feel the same way Nami. When I cook a childhood dish it comforts me and makes me feel like my family is close by. Then if my husband really enjoys the food then it makes it that much better. Thanks and I hope you too;)

Que rico! This looks really good especially since I am obsessed with cucumbers. There is such a cooling sensation about cucumbers!

Childhood food memories are so wonderful! I have never tried cucumbers this way… but I do eat mangos, pineapples and sour apples almost exactly like this…. Now I have to give my favorite cucumbers a spicy kick. :)

Hi Nancy! This post reminded me of my childhood summers. My sisters and I loved sliced cucumbers drizzled with lemon juice and sprinkled with salt. They were so refreshing. I would love to make your version soon–the chile and lime would be a hit with my taste buds, no doubt! :)

I have a pulse, he he, or at least I think that’s what it is. I’ve never tried the cucumbers with the lime and chile only the fruit. Need to change that, huh. I opened my windows to hear an owl hooting away this morning, that made me really happy. Been thinking about you and hoping all is well.
    -Gina-

Gorgeous snack! So simple and healthy, but so pretty that it would feel like a very special occasion! You are brilliant, as always, Nancy :-)

Trackbacks

1. […] (My 12 Favorites – Top Left to Right) Tapas and Fruit Sangria, Easy Honey Olive Oil Bread, Indian-Mexican Fusion Pork Tacos, Ejotes con Huevos or Mexican Green Beans with Eggs, Jalapeno Plum Sauce & Spring Rolls, Curry Spiced Potato and Pumpkin Empanadas, Blueberry Banana Yogurt Smoothie, Stir Fried Asparagus, Lighter Gouda Mac & Cheese, Crisp Tuna Salad, Butternut Squash and Garbanzo Curry, Pepinos con Pepinos Con Chile y Limon Or Cucumbers with Chile and Lime […]