Sunday Snapshots: Smoked Beer, Bottoms Up!

by Spicie Foodie on July 15, 2012

Sunday Snapshots, Smoked Beer, Spicie Foodie

This past week has been so hectic and a little stressful. Between technical problems and running out of time, I didn’t get enough accomplished this week. Then when I finally set some special time aside I just couldn’t get my working groove. Don’t you just hate that? Though to be fair the week wasn’t all bad because I did have one really great date day with my husband. But even with that said I am glad the week is over, I’m ready to begin a fresh and more productive one. Besides there are many people out there with worse problems than mine.

Sunday Snapshots, Smoked Beer, Spicie Foodie

It is often customary to celebrate a new beginning with a drink so I thought it was fitting to share this beer with you. Okay let’s talk smoked beer, have you ever heard of or tasted it? My husband and I are always on the lookout for new or unique beers so we had to give this one a taste.

Sunday Snapshots, Smoked Beer, Spicie Foodie

Knowing nothing about smoked beer lead me to some online reading, this is what I found out. Per Wikipedia “Smoked beer (German: Rauchbier) is a type of beer with a distinctive smoke flavour imparted by using malted barley dried over an open flame.” Apparently smoked beer is popular in Europe and as far away as North America and Australia.

Sunday Snapshots, Smoked Beer, Spicie Foodie

The beer I tasted is a Rauchbier style smoked beer by a micro-brewery from the Czech town of Český Krumlov. It is a dark lager beer with an alcohol content of 5.2%. When I opened the bottle the smoky scent was noticeable. I was intrigued and surprised since that isn’t the smell I’m used to when opening a bottle of beer. The taste was smoky but it faded into a subtle beer taste. Afterwards I could taste a slight caramel like sweetness. Overall I quite enjoyed the unique taste. I liked that it smelled and tasted smoky but I wasn’t overwhelmed with the flavor.

Sunday Snapshots, Smoked Beer, Spicie Foodie

To go with our beer my husband made us steak. He served it topped with a buttery blue cheese sauce and a green salad on the side. It tasted awesome and complimented the beer perfectly. (Does the steak also look heart shaped to you?)

Sunday Snapshots, Smoked Beer, Spicie Foodie

By the way did you happen to notice the date of the bottle? 1560, that is the when the brewery began brewing beer. Now how neat is that?

Sunday Snapshots, Smoked Beer, Spicie Foodie

Happy Sunday everyone, and like a song by one of my favorite bands, Nickleback, says bottoms up!

in Drinks,Sunday Snapshots

1 Nami | Just One Cookbook July 15, 2012 at 8:45 AM

I’m always having trouble with drink shot – although I’m not a beer drinker, these photos are successfully making me thirsty. :D

2 Spicie Foodie July 15, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Hi Nami,
I also have trouble with drink shots. It’s harder to dress them up, so I try to keep it simple. Thanks!

3 Rosa July 15, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Im sorry to hear about your problems… I’ve also been experiencing technical problems lately and I’ve momentarily lost my blogging mojo. :-(

This beers looks amazing. Great clicks!

4 Spicie Foodie July 15, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Hi Rosa,

Thanks and sorry to hear about your technical problems. I guess it’s going around like a cold, lol:) I hope you get your mojo back soon.

5 Rosa July 15, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I’m sorry to hear about your problems… I’ve also been experiencing technical problems lately and I’ve momentarily lost my blogging mojo. :-(

This beers looks amazing. Great clicks!

6 claudia @whats cookin italian cuisine July 15, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Great photos nice close ups of the foam on the beer and I love blue cheese on top of steak! Your husband has superb eating ideas lol! Have a great weekend!

7 Spicie Foodie July 15, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Thank Claudia! Lol, I’ll tell him you said so. You too have a great weekend:)

8 Holly July 15, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I had one of those weeks too. I just couldn’t get myself motivated to work. Oh well.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of smoked beer. Really good beer from small breweries are lacking here, maybe when I’m in Prague next week I’ll find some.

9 Laura (Tutti Dolci) July 15, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I’ve never heard of smoked beer but it’s an intriguing idea. Great shots! (I always look forward to your Sunday snapshots, by the way :))

10 Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) July 15, 2012 at 7:41 PM

The steak does look heart-shaped! It looks so tasty and what a perfect accompaniment to the beer. I’m no beer connoisseur at all but this smoked beer looks so refreshing!

11 kitchenriffs July 15, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Good photos – drink shots are hard (at least I find them so). Never had smoked beer, but I love the concept – I’ll have to look for some. Thanks for the idea!

12 Trix July 15, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I wonder if it would remind me of peaty Scotch, which I love? Interesting!

13 Purabi Naha July 16, 2012 at 10:01 AM

A steak with blue cheese and beer! A match made in heaven!!

14 Spicie Foodie July 16, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Thank you everyone!

15 Patty July 17, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Beautiful shots! I’ve never heard of smoked beer but I’m not much of a beer drinker! I’m happy you’ve sorted out your technical issues ;-)

16 Amanda@EasyPeasyOrganic July 18, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Haven’t tried smoked beer (yet) but several years ago one of the wineries in Far North Queensland created a smoked port … there was a massive fire in the area at just the right time that all the grapes had a smokey flavour. It went so beautifully with the sweet, thick port … Loved it!

17 Spicie Foodie July 18, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Hi Amanda,
I’d love to try smoked wine. Though I wouldn’t want to wish a fire on a winery just so I can try it. Thanks!

18 Gina July 18, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Sorry those technical gremlins are bugging you. I had chocolate beer on St. Patty’s Day and it’s pretty tasty, I’m sure this one is too. I’m glad you and the hubs had a great date night. Hope it all gets better soon.
Hugs,
-Gina-

19 Magic of Spice July 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I am not much of a beer drinker, but I am intrigued by a smoked beer :) It does sound like it would complement your hubbies (heat shaped) steak beautifully :)

20 Frank July 21, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I love the idea of smokey flavored beer. Now where can I find this Stateside?

21 Spicie Foodie July 21, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I’m not sure Frank. I believe this micro-brewery is only local. But look for German Rauchbier, I’m sure it will taste similar.