Mini Pork, Grilled Onions & Blue Cheese Sandwiches, Plus A Taste From The Past

Pork, Grilled Onions & Blue Cheese Sandwiches,  Spicie Foodie

These mini pork, grilled onion and blue cheese sandwiches are the result of refrigerator cleaning. I can’t tell you how many meals have been the result of cleaning out the refrigerator. The meals are mostly the result of having a few food items that are just not large enough for a whole meal. What you do is put all those small amounts together and create yourself one good meal. Do you ever do that?

Pork, Grilled Onions & Blue Cheese Sandwiches, Spicie Foodie

This recipe is another of those “non-recipe recipes”. Really you only need four ingredients to make this flavorful and very filling sandwich. Those four ingredients are bread or baguette of your choice, cooked pork or chicken cut into strips or bite-size pieces, grilled onions and some blue cheese. The mini baguette you see here is a local dark bread variety, but you can substitute it with a whole grain or wheat bread. For the blue cheese I used a Danish blue, but a Roquefort or any other blue cheese may be used instead. You just put the ingredients on the bread, zap in the microwave for a few seconds to melt the cheese and that’s it! It’s super simple but the four ingredients really come together nicely.

A Taste From The Past, Spicie Foodie
Today I also want to share August’s edition of “A Taste From The Past”. So let’s feast on the past with some August recipes from the Spicie Foodie archives.

How To Grill Corn on The Cob, Spicie Foodie
How To Grill Corn On The Cob
Steak and Roasted Pepper Sandwich

Pretzels, Spicie Foodie
Birthday Pretzel Challenge For Gina
Thutilinanga Indonesian Chili Fried Eggplants/Aubergine

Gooseberry Crumble,Spicie Foodie
Duck, Duck, Gooseberry Crumble
How to Roast Bell Peppers

Micheladas,Spicie Foodie
Celebratory Micheladas
Agua de Pepino ~ Cucumber cooler

Crunchy Dill Pickles (Refrigerator Style),Spicie Foodie
Crunchy Dill Pickles (Refrigerator Style)
Grilled Cheese -n- Tomato sandwich with herbs

Plum Granita with 3 types of Plums (Vegan Treat)Spicie Foodie
Plum Granita with 3 types of Plums (Vegan Treat)
old fashioned white bread~ easy

Zanahorias en Escabeche or Mexican Spicy Pickled Carrots,Spicie Foodie
Zanahorias en Escabeche or Mexican Spicy Pickled Carrots
Salt ~ A spotlight on Salt

Recipes on graphic are from August 2012:
Grilled Fish Tostadas
Blueberry Banana Yogurt Smoothie
Jalapeno Plum Sauce & Fresh Spring Rolls
Sunday Snapshots: A Little Bit of This & That

Sea Salt,Spicie Foodie

Comments

I landed here via Tastespotting, and laughed because we just moved and I ate two weeks of “refrigerator clean out” meals. I just can’t stand throwing away food, glad to know I’m not alone. Looks delish!

Who could resist that pork and cheese sandwich? It looks amazing. :) Love all the past round up recipes too. The corn and the pickle scream summer. Have a wonderful weekend. ~ Ramona

Sometimes the best meals come from refrigerator/freezer clean-outs. I always seem to go the panini/burrito/quesadilla route.

Of course, they’re always good, so…LOL!

These sound amazing. I’d eat caramelized onions on anything!

I really enjoyed seeing all your photos of Taste from the Paste – lots of fantastic looking recipes – those pickled carrots caught my eye as I have carrots in my CSA Box this week.

5. Eha says

For practical and very boring reasons my food delivery only arrives every four weeks or so: so the first week is a feast, the second one looks at what should REALLY be used, ditto the third, but with more attention, and during the fourth week one’s culinary imagination truly has to come to play! Oh, love the cheese to spice things up :) !

Not only do these sandwiches look & sound amazing, your retrospective is impressive! I’m afraid to even look at some of my early posts! LOL!

I always seem to have a small chunk of leftover blue cheese in the fridge, but never thought of using it on a sandwich…I won’t forget now! Pairing with the grilled onions and pork makes for such an irresistible treat :)

PS…what an excellent idea to share some old August posts!

I am sitting here drooling at your picture of your sandwich. Some technology needs to be invented where I can just take it out of the screen and enjoy it with my tea right now!

Very tempting Nancy!

now… I am off checking out your pickled carrots

When I was trying to submit a comment the website went down… if you somehow got duplicate, sorry about that. I think I was saying that I always use leftover ingredients for my cooking because I don’t plan meals in advance and I end up having different ingredients here and there… I love grilled onions and I have to add to my sandwich next time. Looks yum!!

Sorry about that Nami, I don’t know what happened. I have the same habit of not planning meals ahead. Most times I decide what I’m cooking as I am eating breakfast, hehe:) Thanks!

I can say this…I grantee you that Adam wishes he had your fridge instead of ours, lol! Great use of whats on hand and lovely sandwich all around!
    P.S. I made a version of your pickles and cracked up when I saw the photo the next day on
    FB :)

Haha, I think he needs to see it for a whole month then see what he thinks:) Really, that’s great and I can’t wait to see yours. We are always thinking alike.