Easy Lamb Burgers with Grilled Onions

by Spicie Foodie on August 29, 2012

Lamb Burgers with Grilled Onions, Spicie Foodie

I love lamb. I love it more than I do beef. What about you, are you a fan of lamb? Up until a few years ago I didn’t think I liked it much. As a child I did eat it but I always remember the taste and smell as an unpleasant one. My husband on the other hand has always liked lamb. For years after we got together he would go on about how good it was, but still I didn’t want anything to do with it. Fast forward to Paris a few years ago, and my world changed.

One night we went out for dinner and my husband order a gigot d’agneau or leg of lamb. It was served on top of creamy mashed potatoes and drizzled with a brown sauce, like a gravy. After he took a few bites, he insisted I take a bite. Upon touching my taste buds that piece of lamb made my toes curls. It was seriously that good. From that day forward whenever lamb is on the menu it always ends up on my plate, then in my belly. Now my husband laughs that for years I wouldn’t touch it and now I like it more than he does.

Lamb Burgers with Grilled Onions, Spicie Foodie

In France lamb is very common and we could always find it at the butcher or grocery store. In Prague it isn’t always available at the butcher’s or grocery store, and not every restaurant carries it either. So on the rare occasion I can purchase lamb, you bet I snatch it up. Luckily the price is usually not much higher than that of beef or fish. I know in the US lamb isn’t commonly eaten by many, my husband tells me that it tends to be priced much higher than other meats. In New Zealand it is a meat commonly found and cheaply priced. I may have to move to New Zealand.

There isn’t much of a recipe, we all know how to make hamburgers so I won’t insult your intelligence with a recipe. I purchase ground, or minced, lamb and to that I added salt, pepper and some finely chopped dried rosemary. I always add grilled onions to my burgers so I had to add them here too. The rest is your typical burger toppings. But to keep the meal healthy as possible, I served the burgers with a salad on the side. See not much to the meal, though I have to say it was quite delicious. We will definitely have lamb burgers again whenever ground lamb is available.

Lamb Burgers with Grilled Onions, Spicie Foodie

How do you prepare your lamb burgers?

Park in Prague, Spicie Foodie A “just because” photo, have a great Wednesday!

P.S.
Don’t forget the YBR round up is this Friday, the 31st. We’d love to have you join us, so if you haven’t already, add your recipe. http://www.spiciefoodie.com/ybr/ybr-signup-temporary-page/

in Lamb,Sandwiches

1 Juliana August 29, 2012 at 5:59 AM

Wow Nancy, your lamb hamburger looks delicious, so flavorful, so juicy…I yet have to try to make hamburger with lamb…and yes, grilled onion is just perfect paired with the lamb.
Hope you are having a wonderful week :)

2 Spicie Foodie August 30, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Thank you so much Juliana:) I hope you make the lamb burgers soon and that you have a great end of the week!

3 Laura (Tutti Dolci) August 29, 2012 at 6:00 AM

Now this is my kind of burger! I love the rosemary addition and yes please to the grilled onions :).

4 Spicie Foodie August 30, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Thanks Laura:)

5 mj@cardamomhills August 29, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Hi Nancy,

The burger looks super delicious and I love my onions fresh….craving for a burger now….but no lamb at home..sigh!! :-( its nice to be back and catch up with foodie friends finally!!

Cheers
Mj

6 Spicie Foodie August 30, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Thank you and it’s nice having you back Mj:)

7 Rosa August 29, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Lamb is such a tasty meat and those burgers look gorgeous! So tasty.

8 Spicie Foodie August 30, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Thanks Rosa!

9 Nami | Just One Cookbook August 29, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Nancy you almost convince me to eat and cook more lamb. My husband loves lamb but I also have problem with the certain smell and taste. In Japan, northern island called Hokkaido has lamb dish, but it’s not common meat we eat. I’m still reluctant to cook myself, but like you, I know all I need is a properly cooked lamb dish. I might be converted to a lamb lover when you make this sandwich for me! ;)

10 Spicie Foodie August 30, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Hi Nami,
Hehe, you should give it a try again. As we get older our tastes tends to change, mine thankfully for the better:) Anyway you might discover you like it now. Thanks Nami!

11 Cherine August 29, 2012 at 9:22 AM

The burger looks wonderful!

12 Spicie Foodie August 30, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Thanks Cherine!

13 claudia @whats cookin italian cuisine August 29, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Even if someone didn’t love lamb as we do, this presentation is the best ever! WOW love the colors and juicy look that shot is perfection! oh and btw lamb is my favorite meat!

14 Spicie Foodie August 30, 2012 at 2:29 PM

15 Jen @ Savory Simple August 29, 2012 at 2:12 PM

That’s some fine food photography! The burger looks perfect- juicy and inviting.

16 Spicie Foodie August 30, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Thanks Jen!

17 TastefullyJulie August 29, 2012 at 3:05 PM

I don’t eat beef because I can’t get over the idea of eating an innocent little cow (mooooooo) but I do occasionally eat lamb. I am SO weird. I usually make Seekh kabab or something Indian but this burger looks fantastic. Thank for sharing!

18 Spicie Foodie August 30, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I feel like that about Rabbit now, so I can understand:) That’s a great way of using lamb. Thanks Julie!

19 Victoria of Flavors of the Sun August 29, 2012 at 3:57 PM

My husband is a vegetarian, but of Macedonian background (his first language). He never eats meat, UNLESS…you wave a piece of lamb his way. He would love this. Great photos.

20 Spicie Foodie August 30, 2012 at 2:30 PM

He has good taste then:) Thanks Victoria!

21 Faith August 29, 2012 at 5:53 PM

It’s so funny, I had a similar experience with lamb! Growing up I didn’t care for it at all, but my hubby adores it so I tried it again for the first time after not having it since my childhood and fell in love. Funny how tastes change. :)

Your burger is really gorgeous! I know if I show it to my hubby he’ll want to make lamb burgers tonight, lol!

22 Spicie Foodie August 30, 2012 at 2:31 PM

How funny Faith:) Yes, I think our tastes change for the better. Thank you:)

23 kitchenriffs August 29, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Great looking burger! I haven’t made a lamb burger before – I really should, because lamb is my favorite red meat too. Great pictures! Very nice post – thank you.

24 Spicie Foodie August 30, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Yes, you should:) Thank you!

25 Ramona August 29, 2012 at 11:14 PM

What a beautiful burger! I never was a lamb fan when I was a kid… then I gave up red meat a few years ago. Now you’re making me question it with this burger. It’s so tempting. :)

26 Spicie Foodie August 30, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Oh too bad Ramona:) But don’t change on account of me, hehe. Thanks!

27 Eha August 30, 2012 at 4:44 AM

Posting from the country which for so long ‘rode on a sheep’s back!’ [No, no, no not New Zealand: we are the BIG one for lamb in Oz :) !!] I absolutely adore lamb over all other meats and, of course, it is freely available here wherever meat is sold. In bucketloads!! But, these days do NOT ask for the price!! Cutlets at over $26/Kg! Used to feed my many pups on parboiled lamb shanks for decades. Loved ‘em myself! Two shanks @ $9 + at the supermarket the other day!! OK, gripe over, love lamb patties too with a vengeance! Yours look wonderful – I wonder what Woollies is charging tomorrow :0 !

28 Spicie Foodie August 30, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Hi Eha,
Yes, I do know you are big lamb eaters, and sheep farmers, down under. Wow, that’s crazy! Food prices everywhere keep rising and the market keeps getting worse. Our world is not a good state at all. Thanks Eha!

29 Angie@Angie's Recipes August 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Though not a fan of lamb, I am still willing to give this juicy and tasty burger a try!

30 Spicie Foodie August 30, 2012 at 2:35 PM

That’s good that at least you are willing to give it a try. That’s very good in my book:) Thanks Angie!

31 Holly August 30, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Man, you’ve made me hungry with your description of the gigot d’angeau. I might have to go out to eat tonight. I love lamb too and don’t really like beef. Like you, I didn’t really like it until moving to France and I was an adult. I think it’s something that grows on your tastebuds along with the lamb not being as good quality in the US.

32 Spicie Foodie August 30, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Go Holly, and have a serving for me too:) The lamb in France is always so good! Maybe you are right, and it’s an acquired taste. Thanks!

33 Sawsan (Chef in disguise) August 30, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Me and my husband are the same..he won’t even touch lamb and I keep telling him he is missing out :)
Maybe if I made him a burger he will finally change his mind

34 Spicie Foodie September 4, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Too bad but I do hope you can change his mind:)

35 Laura @ Family Spice August 30, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I am always intrigued when people tell they don’t like lamb. Then they try it and they love it. Maybe we shouldn’t tell people to try it so we can keep it all to ourselves?

36 Spicie Foodie September 4, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I’m with you Laura:)

37 Suzanne Perazzini August 31, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Funnily enough I have never thought to make lamb burgers. Maybe I just haven’t seen the minced version here. It’s usually in chops or roasts, but yes, it is common here.

38 Spicie Foodie September 4, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I would take the chops and roast over the mince. But one can’t complain when at least some lamb is available, right?:)

39 anna August 31, 2012 at 6:56 AM

i love lamb! maybe because i’ve only rarely had it, so it seems like a special treat to me. hey, hey, you should call these LAMBURGERS. hahahahahahahahaha. ok sorry. :)

40 Spicie Foodie September 4, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I always think of it as a special treat too. Lol, I like that “Lamburgers” :)

41 James September 2, 2012 at 9:42 PM

well, i’ve just eaten dinner and now i’m hungry again. these burgers looks delicious. great cooking (obviously) and some pretty nice photography too!

42 Spicie Foodie September 4, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Thanks James and hope you make yourself some soon:)

43 Frank September 6, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I’m totally with you. I *love* lamb, especially rib or shoulder chops. It has so much more flavor than beef ever did. But your husband is right, it tends to be very expensive, even a cut like the shank, which should normally be quite cheap. Not sure of the reason…

The shoulder does tend to be less expensive, which is great since it’s a wonderful, well-marbled cut with lots of deliciousness. My grandmother used to make grilled shoulder chops all the time—I guess that’s where I learned to love lamb.

44 Spicie Foodie September 7, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Hi Frank,
I`m glad that you can still get a good cut, or any lamb. I agree it is much more flavourful.

45 Pooja Arora September 10, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Thanks for sharing such a nice and wonderful recipe with us !

46 Gordon June 4, 2013 at 6:55 AM

Thanks!!!! Was looking for a simple lamb burger recipe. Just bought a lb. of grd lamb tday. I like to mix my onion in the meat. Would that be ok?

47 Spicie Foodie June 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Hi Gordon,

Yes, onion mixed in the meat would taste fantastic! Yum, enjoy your lamburgers;)