Easy Lamb Burgers with Grilled Onions

Lamb Burgers with Grilled Onions, Spicie Foodie

I love lamb. I love it more than I do beef. What about you, are you a fan of lamb? Up until a few years ago I didn’t think I liked it much. As a child I did eat it but I always remember the taste and smell as an unpleasant one. My husband on the other hand has always liked lamb. For years after we got together he would go on about how good it was, but still I didn’t want anything to do with it. Fast forward to Paris a few years ago, and my world changed.

One night we went out for dinner and my husband order a gigot d’agneau or leg of lamb. It was served on top of creamy mashed potatoes and drizzled with a brown sauce, like a gravy. After he took a few bites, he insisted I take a bite. Upon touching my taste buds that piece of lamb made my toes curls. It was seriously that good. From that day forward whenever lamb is on the menu it always ends up on my plate, then in my belly. Now my husband laughs that for years I wouldn’t touch it and now I like it more than he does.

Lamb Burgers with Grilled Onions, Spicie Foodie

In France lamb is very common and we could always find it at the butcher or grocery store. In Prague it isn’t always available at the butcher’s or grocery store, and not every restaurant carries it either. So on the rare occasion I can purchase lamb, you bet I snatch it up. Luckily the price is usually not much higher than that of beef or fish. I know in the US lamb isn’t commonly eaten by many, my husband tells me that it tends to be priced much higher than other meats. In New Zealand it is a meat commonly found and cheaply priced. I may have to move to New Zealand.

There isn’t much of a recipe, we all know how to make hamburgers so I won’t insult your intelligence with a recipe. I purchase ground, or minced, lamb and to that I added salt, pepper and some finely chopped dried rosemary. I always add grilled onions to my burgers so I had to add them here too. The rest is your typical burger toppings. But to keep the meal healthy as possible, I served the burgers with a salad on the side. See not much to the meal, though I have to say it was quite delicious. We will definitely have lamb burgers again whenever ground lamb is available.

Lamb Burgers with Grilled Onions, Spicie Foodie

How do you prepare your lamb burgers?

Park in Prague, Spicie Foodie A “just because” photo, have a great Wednesday!

P.S.
Don’t forget the YBR round up is this Friday, the 31st. We’d love to have you join us, so if you haven’t already, add your recipe. http://www.spiciefoodie.com/ybr/ybr-signup-temporary-page/

Comments

Wow Nancy, your lamb hamburger looks delicious, so flavorful, so juicy…I yet have to try to make hamburger with lamb…and yes, grilled onion is just perfect paired with the lamb.
    Hope you are having a wonderful week :)

Hi Nancy,

The burger looks super delicious and I love my onions fresh….craving for a burger now….but no lamb at home..sigh!! :-( its nice to be back and catch up with foodie friends finally!!

Cheers
    Mj

Nancy you almost convince me to eat and cook more lamb. My husband loves lamb but I also have problem with the certain smell and taste. In Japan, northern island called Hokkaido has lamb dish, but it’s not common meat we eat. I’m still reluctant to cook myself, but like you, I know all I need is a properly cooked lamb dish. I might be converted to a lamb lover when you make this sandwich for me! ;)

Hi Nami,
      Hehe, you should give it a try again. As we get older our tastes tends to change, mine thankfully for the better:) Anyway you might discover you like it now. Thanks Nami!

I don’t eat beef because I can’t get over the idea of eating an innocent little cow (mooooooo) but I do occasionally eat lamb. I am SO weird. I usually make Seekh kabab or something Indian but this burger looks fantastic. Thank for sharing!

It’s so funny, I had a similar experience with lamb! Growing up I didn’t care for it at all, but my hubby adores it so I tried it again for the first time after not having it since my childhood and fell in love. Funny how tastes change. :)

Your burger is really gorgeous! I know if I show it to my hubby he’ll want to make lamb burgers tonight, lol!

Great looking burger! I haven’t made a lamb burger before – I really should, because lamb is my favorite red meat too. Great pictures! Very nice post – thank you.

What a beautiful burger! I never was a lamb fan when I was a kid… then I gave up red meat a few years ago. Now you’re making me question it with this burger. It’s so tempting. :)

8. Eha says

Posting from the country which for so long ‘rode on a sheep’s back!’ [No, no, no not New Zealand: we are the BIG one for lamb in Oz :) !!] I absolutely adore lamb over all other meats and, of course, it is freely available here wherever meat is sold. In bucketloads!! But, these days do NOT ask for the price!! Cutlets at over $26/Kg! Used to feed my many pups on parboiled lamb shanks for decades. Loved ‘em myself! Two shanks @ $9 + at the supermarket the other day!! OK, gripe over, love lamb patties too with a vengeance! Yours look wonderful – I wonder what Woollies is charging tomorrow :0 !

Hi Eha,
      Yes, I do know you are big lamb eaters, and sheep farmers, down under. Wow, that’s crazy! Food prices everywhere keep rising and the market keeps getting worse. Our world is not a good state at all. Thanks Eha!

Man, you’ve made me hungry with your description of the gigot d’angeau. I might have to go out to eat tonight. I love lamb too and don’t really like beef. Like you, I didn’t really like it until moving to France and I was an adult. I think it’s something that grows on your tastebuds along with the lamb not being as good quality in the US.

i love lamb! maybe because i’ve only rarely had it, so it seems like a special treat to me. hey, hey, you should call these LAMBURGERS. hahahahahahahahaha. ok sorry. :)

well, i’ve just eaten dinner and now i’m hungry again. these burgers looks delicious. great cooking (obviously) and some pretty nice photography too!

I’m totally with you. I *love* lamb, especially rib or shoulder chops. It has so much more flavor than beef ever did. But your husband is right, it tends to be very expensive, even a cut like the shank, which should normally be quite cheap. Not sure of the reason…

The shoulder does tend to be less expensive, which is great since it’s a wonderful, well-marbled cut with lots of deliciousness. My grandmother used to make grilled shoulder chops all the time—I guess that’s where I learned to love lamb.

13. Gordon says

Thanks!!!! Was looking for a simple lamb burger recipe. Just bought a lb. of grd lamb tday. I like to mix my onion in the meat. Would that be ok?

Trackbacks