Sunday Snapshots: Bread, Pasta, Olives and A Patty Pan Squash

by Spicie Foodie on September 2, 2012

Bread, Pasta, Olives and Patty Pan Squash, Sunday Snapshots, Spicie Foodie

I live in a great neighborhood. One of the things I love most about my neighborhood are the international shops. Alongside traditional Czech mini markets, butchers, and bakeries are small markets with European and exotic Asian flavors.

Bread, Pasta, Olives and Patty Pan Squash, Sunday Snapshots, Spicie Foodie

My husband and I have always preferred supporting small neighborhood shops, be it local Czech or those owned by immigrants selling international goods, over the big corporate super markets. We don’t do all our shopping in the small shops, but it is a nice treat we allow ourselves.

Bread, Pasta, Olives and Patty Pan Squash, Sunday Snapshots, Spicie Foodie

Yesterday, Saturday, after lunch we stopped at one of our favorite Italian shops in the neighborhood. While my husband may not admit it, he is just as big a foodie as I am. He too loves trying new foods, experimenting and shopping in these small shops. Everything you see in the first three photos he choose. We now have an Italian country bread, tri-color and flavored spaghetti, green olives and almond biscotti to eat this week. I can’t wait to cook the pasta and share it with you all.

Bread, Pasta, Olives and Patty Pan Squash, Sunday Snapshots, Spicie Foodie

This yellow beauty is a huge patty pan squash. Every year around early September they begin appearing at the green grocers.

Bread, Pasta, Olives and Patty Pan Squash, Sunday Snapshots, Spicie Foodie

Usually I turn them into soups, like Curried White Squash Soup ~ Thai Inspired and Roasted Pumpkin and Patty Pan Stew.

Bread, Pasta, Olives and Patty Pan Squash, Sunday Snapshots, Spicie Foodie

This year I may do the same, or perhaps not. I haven’t decided yet. If I create a new recipe with the patty pan I’ll be sure to share it with you all.

How about you, did you pick up any new foods to try this weekend?

~~Happy Sunday everyone! I won’t be posting the normal Monday post, instead I’ll see you back here on Wednesday with a new recipe. Hope to see you then.

in Sunday Snapshots

1 Laura (Tutti Dolci) September 2, 2012 at 7:05 AM

Great finds at the market, I love the look of the country bread! Can’t wait to see what you whip up with the pasta :).

2 Spicie Foodie September 4, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Thanks Laura, it’s the next upcoming recipe for Friday:)

3 Rosa September 2, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Wonderful clicks and great quote!

Happy Sunday.

4 Spicie Foodie September 4, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Thanks Rosa!

5 Holly September 2, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I would love a patty pan squash recipe. They are all over the place here and I stuffed one last year, but I’m not sure what else to do with them. How do you cut it open?

Love the bread quote at the beginning. I’m writing that down.

I didn’t try any new foods this week, but I did try out a new recipe and it wasn’t a fail. :)

6 Spicie Foodie September 4, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Hi Holly,

I stuffed one a few years ago, but usually it gets turned into soup. I’m still playing with what to do with it. Hopefully I’ll have something new to share with you:) Yay, happy that your new recipe was a sucess;)

7 Ramona September 2, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Gorgeous snaps as always! Nominated you for One Lovely Blog Award… check out my 9-2-12 blog post. :)

8 Spicie Foodie September 4, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Hi Ramona,

Aw thank you so much:) I’ll stop by in a bit.

9 Victoria of Flavors of the Sun September 2, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Lovely post. I appreciate your sentiments. Gorgeous photos as well.

10 Spicie Foodie September 4, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Thanks Victoria!

11 Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb September 2, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Man will never admit that they are actually foodies. ;)

I agree its important to support the small shop owners. I find those type of shops sometimes more interesting. the food items are unique or the quality exceptional compared to commercial supermarkets. I have seen many small shop owners in Europe dissapear over time. The commercialization wasn’t that supportive towards small business owners in Europe’s change.

My favorite picture is the first one. Love the effect of the different colored spaghettis.

12 Spicie Foodie September 4, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Hehe, I think you are correct!

So true, there is always something new and interesting to try. Besides the shop owner’s passion is contagious and you learn so much from them. Sadly that is the truth, my neighborhood has been victim to it too. Hopefully people will start realizing what little gems these small shops are.

13 Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking September 2, 2012 at 5:02 PM

beautiful photos Nancy. i love the rustic look of the country bread and the squash, can’t wait for the winter squash season

14 Spicie Foodie September 4, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Thanks Roxana!

15 kitchenriffs September 2, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Gorgeous photos! I love those black backgrounds. I haven’t yet tried anything new this weekend, but I haven’t been food shopping yet today! So who knows? ;-)

16 Spicie Foodie September 4, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Thank you:) I hope you found some great new foods to try this week.

17 Nandita September 2, 2012 at 10:22 PM

WOW Nancy!!! I just loved that tri coloured spaghetti and that patty pan squash. Gorgeous shots aw always :)

18 Spicie Foodie September 4, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Thanks Nandita! The spaghetti was a great find by my husband:)

19 Eha September 3, 2012 at 5:13 AM

In Australia there is a noticeable return to Farmers’ Markets and ‘corner shops’ , be they small butchers, delis, greengrocers or whatever! Yes, it has been and is easy to do all of one’s shopping at the one destination: methinks we all have come to realize we are losing something in choice, quality and the local ‘footprint’! I boringly use the pattypans stuffed, sliced in stirfries or steamed – would love to have a new recipe!!

20 Spicie Foodie September 4, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I think you are correct Eha. People seem to want to appreciate better choices and quality, and therefore opting for farmer’s markets and smaller shops. Hopefully it is a trend that will continue. Thanks for the tip on the squash:)

21 Suzanne Perazzini September 3, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I did make an artichoke hummus, which was a first for me but no other new foods. I love your husband’s choices – that loaf of bread is such a strange shape.

22 Spicie Foodie September 4, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Yum! That sounds really good. The shape is because it’s a quarter from a huge round loaf, but it tasted amazing! Thanks Suzanne.

23 Nami | Just One Cookbook September 3, 2012 at 9:18 AM

I’ve never heard of patty pan squash but it’s a cute little veggie (wait, it’s little right?). I’ve also never seen tri-color pasta! How beautiful~~~. I won’t be able to use it unless I can easily find those kinds. Hm, so far I haven’t eaten something new this weekend, but I bought my fist jar of Cookie Butter and I’m going to try tomorrow morning! :D

24 Spicie Foodie September 4, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Hi Nami,
This one is huge, like the size of my head, lol:) Usually you can find tiny ones though. The pasta was a great find. OOhhh cookie butter, sounds good:)

25 tania@mykitchenstories.com.au September 3, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I love that you have photographed the squash on purple , how gorgeous does that look. It also looks like a giant!. I haven’t come across tricoloured spaghetti even though I work for an Italian wholesaler.. very exotic.. I have cooked with Bronte pistachio paste and some defatted hazelnut flour though this week. Both Italian

26 Spicie Foodie September 4, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Hi Tania,
Thanks, yes it is huge! I should have kept the package to give you the brand name, of the spaghetti. I also haven’t seen it before, only bow tie and fussili pastas. Yum, the pistachio paste and hazelnut flours sound great!

27 mjskit September 3, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I’m so envious of having markets nearby. Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous. I can’t wait to see what you do with the pasta. Almond biscotti – my favorite.

28 Spicie Foodie September 4, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Oh sorry MJ:( I’m very lucky to have everything within walking distance. Thank you so much:)

29 Liz September 4, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Such exquisite photography! Oh, how I’d love to pull off a chunk of that lovely bread~

30 Spicie Foodie September 4, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Thanks Liz, wish you were here to enjoy it with me:)

31 anna September 4, 2012 at 7:19 AM

mm there’s something so classical and comforting in the combination of bread and olives. lovely photos :)

32 Spicie Foodie September 4, 2012 at 5:12 PM

So very true, and you just can’t go wrong with the combo. Thanks Anna:)

33 Sawsan (Chef in disguise) September 5, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Beautiful snapshots :)
looking forward to seeing what you will do with those beautiful ingredients
I picked up some apples to make apple sauce this week

34 Spicie Foodie September 6, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Thank you Sawsan. Yum, I love apple sauce.