Spaghetti Tricolore Con Salsiccia di Maiale or Tricolored Spaghetti with Pork Sausage

by Spicie Foodie on September 7, 2012

Tricolored Spaghetti with Italian Pork Sausage, Spicie Foodie

I love that Pavarotti quote. It is true, no matter what is happening in our lives, good or bad, and no matter how busy we are, we must stop to eat. But not just eat, we have to really take the time to enjoy our food. Sitting down to enjoy food is one of life’s little pleasures, a pleasure many fortunate people take for granted.

Tricolored Spaghetti with Italian Pork Sausage, Spicie Foodie

When we first moved to Europe it took time adjusting to the way people ate here. Here, in Europe, when people go out to eat or sit down at a cafe for a coffee, there is no rush. Meals, snacks, or afternoon treats are an event and the wait staff expects that you’ll be there a while. The table is yours until you are ready to move on or until the restaurant closes.

Tricolored Spaghetti with Italian Pork Sausage, Spicie Foodie

In Europe you don’t have wait staff coming to your table every few minutes asking if you’d like something else. At first it was a bit strange to us and it even made us feel that the service was perhaps not the best. Slowly we came to realize that this was much better than conversations or relaxation constantly being interrupted. It became clear to us that sitting down at a cafe or restaurant was about relaxing and enjoying the food and drink with limited interruptions.

Tricolored Spaghetti with Italian Pork Sausage, Spicie Foodie

Now when we reflect back on restaurants in the US, we can see how things are a bit more rushed there. In the US you are expected to eat your meal quickly and clear the table for the next guests. Perhaps the wait staff is instructed to visit tables often to either push more food or nudge the eating along. I’m just speculating of course, but I do know that constant “nudging” was annoying to me and made me want to leave sooner. It is something I do not miss at all.

Tricolored Spaghetti with Italian Pork Sausage, Spicie Foodie

I’m not saying that every restaurant in the US is the same, or that people there don’t appreciate food like they do in Europe. I’m just being honest about what I’ve experienced from living in both places. Of course it also comes down to people’s personal dinning experiences and preferences.

Tricolored Spaghetti with Italian Pork Sausage, Spicie Foodie

My husband and I have, of course, been greatly influenced by our time in Europe. Our meals, coffee breaks, or midday treats, whether at home or at dinning establishments, have become more relaxed. We are lucky to have the freedom of making our own schedules and allowing as much time as we want for eating, so we take advantage of it. Each meal we try to really take the time to enjoy it, the ingredients used and the effort it took to prepare, I’m sure many of you share the same sentiment. This meal of tri-colored spaghetti with Italian pork sausage was no different.

Tricolored Spaghetti with Italian Pork Sausage, Spicie Foodie

Some of you might recognize these ingredients from last Sunday’s Snapshots. We picked them up at a small Italian shop in our neighborhood. My husband was actually the one who picked out the ingredients. It was a very simple dinner but one we very much enjoyed. The unique spaghetti was so flavorful, usually other colored pasta isn’t but this one was. Instead of masking the tomato and spinach flavors with a tomato sauce I let them shine on their own with a simple coating of olive oil and garlic. The pork sausage was also very flavorful, very peppery, and it was the perfect pairing to the pasta. It’s not much of a recipe, but I’ll list the ingredients I used.

Tricolored Spaghetti with Italian Pork Sausage, Spicie Foodie

5.0 from 7 reviews

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Fast and easy Italian pasta dinner, tri-colored and flavored spaghetti with Italian pork sausage.
Author:
Recipe type: entree, main, pasta, italian, pork, sausage, quick, easy, fast
Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • 1 pack of tri-colored spaghetti (the flavors are plain semolina, tomato and spinach)
  • 1 pack of Italian pork sausage, ours had 5 small sausages
  • olive oil
  • 4 thinly sliced garlic cloves
  • salt and ground pepper to taste
  • grated parmesan
  • tomatoes, cut into wedges
  • serve with bread and olives
Instructions
  1. Boil the pasta according to package instructions, drain and lightly coat with olive oil. In a small pan heat some oil and saute the garlic until soft and cooked through. Toss the garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, and grated parmesan cheese with the cooked pasta. Set aside. Grill the sausages until cooked all the way through.
  2. Serve the sausages with the pasta, and decorate pasta with tomato wedges if desired. Serve with rustic or country bread and olives of choice. I also served a small salad on the side.
Notes
(If you would like to publish my recipe on your website please quote Spicie Foodie as the recipe creator, and place a link back to the recipe. Please do not copy and paste recipe on Pinterest, Google+, or Facebook. Thank you!)

Tricolored Spaghetti with Italian Pork Sausage, Spicie Foodie

See how simple that was, and no real recipe required. Somehow the pasta and sausage went together very well. I don’t think it’s a very traditional Italian recipe, but I just went with it. It was a simple dinner but one we very much enjoyed, for two days actually. I have to give credit to my husband for picking out such fantastic ingredients, he did a great job. We will be visiting the small shop for more supplies soon. Maybe next time I’ll try this recipe but with a tomato sauce, we’ll see. For now I’ll keep reminding myself not to forget the importance of not only fueling the body but the soul, no matter how busy I may be.

Tricolored Spaghetti with Italian Pork Sausage, Spicie Foodie

“Everything you see I owe to spaghetti.” -Sofia Loren

in European,For Him,Noodles/Pasta,Pork

1 Gina September 7, 2012 at 5:52 AM

I think I prefer European way better. I love when I can just sit there are relax and eat, especially if I’ve been working in the kitchen for a long time on a meal. I had almost the same thing tonight. I wish I would have had some of those olive though. Looks wonderful as always. Yeah tomorrow is Friday.
-Gina-

2 Spicie Foodie September 9, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Hi Gina,

I know you would really love Europe, hopefully one day I can give you a little tour:)

3 anna September 7, 2012 at 6:53 AM

that sausage is so beautiful. and i definitely think the american attitude toward food is in many ways broken. maybe time will fix it but who knows?

4 Spicie Foodie September 9, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Thanks Anna! I think with the emergence of all the celebrity chefs and food bloggers it is brining good attention to food. Time will only tell:)

5 Laura (Tutti Dolci) September 7, 2012 at 7:33 AM

I love that quote! I need to get better about slowing down to enjoy a meal – otherwise all the work feels like it was for nothing. A scrumptious pasta dish!

6 Spicie Foodie September 9, 2012 at 3:42 PM

So true, we have to make sure to enjoy our efforts. Thanks Laura:)

7 Rosa September 7, 2012 at 8:19 AM

I love that quote! A wonderful spaghetti dish. Really mouthwatering.

Food is made to be enjoyed and life to, so why rush (unless you want to get closer to the end)!

8 Spicie Foodie September 9, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I couldn’t agree with you more Rosa! Thanks;)

9 Rosa September 7, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Sorry, I meant “too”… ;-P

10 Ramona September 7, 2012 at 1:16 PM

It’s so true… US restaurants want to herd you in and out. Its’ annoying when they ask you about your food when you have a mouthful of it. :) Of course they are never there when you need them either. :) Love this beautifully colorful pasta and the sausage. Looks amazing and something I could eat now for … breakfast! :) You know me… I will eat savory food anytime. :) Have a wonderful weekend!! :)

11 Spicie Foodie September 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Haha, I hate that too:) We eat savory for breakfast all the time, so totally relate to you. Thanks Ramona and you too!

12 Sandra September 7, 2012 at 1:24 PM

You made such a great point about having a relaxed and un-rushed meal. You also have me drooling over here at 7:30am! Love this post Nancy.

13 Spicie Foodie September 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Thanks Sandra!

14 Trix September 7, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I completely agree, and I prefer the European way for sure. Funny though – the second you want to pay your bill in a European restaurant (in my experience) the waiter is there immediately, so you better be ready with the money!! This is a lovely meal!

15 Spicie Foodie September 9, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Hi Trix,

I actually like that, so there is no long wait once you are ready to go. But it’s all about personal preference right? Thanks:)

16 Lea Ann (Cooking on the Ranch) September 7, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I most certainly agree and and think this applies to our large restaurant chain operations. Olive Garden, Macaroni Grill etc. I try only to patronize our small business owners and where I find a non-rush pleasant atmosphere. This pasta dish looks incredible. Great photos as always.

17 Spicie Foodie September 9, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Hi Lea Ann,

That is true, and it does seem that small business are more relaxed. Thanks!

18 Victoria of Flavors of the Sun September 7, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Great photos, great recipes, and I love your quotes! Like you, I prefer the European style of waiting–I don’t appreciate intrusive or hovering wait staff.

19 Spicie Foodie September 9, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Thanks Victoria!

20 Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb September 7, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Love Love Love the photos Nancy! You took me on a trip, feels like a dream. =)

hm I am not sure if that is like that all over Europe. We were told to check on our guests every now and then in Austria, so that they dont sit there for hours with only one drink. I dont like to be annoyed either by some asking waiter. In india though its totaly different. lol if u go in one of those totaly local, actually bad “hotel” restaurant shops or however they call it, u ask for the food while sitting down and its there in a minute. u eat, u go, there is no time to sit around and then too those places are not that pretty…

21 Spicie Foodie September 9, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Hi Helene,

Thank you! Maybe I should have clarified better, the wait staff that I’ve experienced here also don’t leave you without food or drink. It’s just different than in the US, I could say that for every one visit here you get about 4 or 5 there, it’s a bit too much for me.

I can understand what you are saying about the restaurants where you are. They are like quick meal and really for sitting down and enjoying a meal, much like say a McDonalds. Definitely not a place to linger around in, lol:)

22 Judy @Savoring Today September 7, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Ah, a lovely bowl of pasta to linger over … add good conversation and you are set! I agree, folk rush too much, it is important to slow down and savor what is right in front of us. :)

23 Spicie Foodie September 9, 2012 at 3:50 PM

So very true Judy. Thank you:)

24 Russell at Chasing Delicious September 8, 2012 at 3:08 AM

This dish looks fantastic! Such lovely, moody shots too!

25 Spicie Foodie September 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM

26 mjskit September 8, 2012 at 5:49 AM

First of all let me say that the pictures are breathtaking! Secondly, I love eating a restaurants that let you converse and enjoy your meal and your evening out for as long as you want! I have been know to complain to the manager about having been “herded” out of the restaurant. I know I’m being rushed when my entree comes before I’ve even finished my starter! (I live in the U.S.) That sausage and pasta does look absolutely delicious and a wonderful dish that you can sit and enjoy with a nice bottle of wine.

27 Spicie Foodie September 9, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Hi MJ,

Thank you so much:) You said it. I think it’s good to really enjoy a meal and evening out. It is people’s hard earned money and relaxation time. Besides eating fast gives me a tummy ache, lol!

28 Eha September 8, 2012 at 6:05 AM

You have put a soft smile of memories on my face . . . I oft have thought I had ‘outgrown’ Europe – your gentle descriptions tell me another story :) ! I DO love a ‘civilized’ way of eating and so much besides good food and wine enters that arena! Dear Luciano always knew the truth of this: remember seeing him as a relatively young man on a relatively unknown stage in Sydney, mentored by Joan Sutherland and Margareta Elkins: already with THAT huge handkerchief and excess waistline, but, oh so contented with life! Oh, your multihued pasta and sauce > my memeory books also :) !

29 Spicie Foodie September 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Hi Eha,

How lucky that you got to see him in person and early in his career. Yes, he certainly takes pleasure in life:) I’m glad I could bring you good memories. I don’t I could ever outgrow Europe, people here certainly put more priority on enjoying life. Thanks Eha:)

30 Suzanne Perazzini September 8, 2012 at 12:10 PM

In Italy, food is a religion so no one would hurry you out of a restaurant but here in New Zealand some restaurants even have an early eating session and a later one. So, if you haven’t finished, I imagine you get shooed out the door. I choose not to go to those ones.

31 Spicie Foodie September 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM

What that’s horrible! I wouldn’t want to patronize those places either. Thanks Suzanne!

32 Angie@Angie's Recipes September 8, 2012 at 2:17 PM

A very appetizing and hearty spaghetti recipe. Love that you use tri-coloured pasta. Beautiful clicks as always!

33 Spicie Foodie September 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM

34 Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes September 8, 2012 at 6:10 PM

mmm this is my kind of meal! The pictures are gorgeous :)

35 Spicie Foodie September 9, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Thanks Ashley!

36 Soma September 9, 2012 at 6:20 AM

We have never beent o Europe. Sounds like I would love to laze around relaxed and calmed; just the way meals should be enjoyed. Lovely pasta. Simple and nourishing. love the light in you photographs.

37 Spicie Foodie September 9, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Thanks Soma! You should put Europe on your travel list:)

38 Cynthia September 9, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I have been in Europe, and I know what you say is true! I remember going to a place in Sicily once to celebrate a friend’s birthday. Since we had already eaten, we weren’t overly hungry. Another friend had gotten a cake at a gelatto shop that we carried in with us. We ordered drinks and tried all kinds of them. The staff kindly provided us with plates and forks for our cake, and our waitress was completely lovely. She and two other patrons there (we were early for the dinner hour there) graciously took pieces of cake at our insistence. Since we had no place to keep the cake later, the friend that purchased it insisted that it be given to the rest of the restaurant staff. That same trip I went back to that restaurant with another friend for lunch another day. The restaurant was more crowded, but the staff was just as nice and polite and laid back as they had been on my first visit there. I have had similar experiences in Spain and Greece as well as Cyprus and Israel. I don’t know if it’s true of all European places or if it’s mostly the Mediterranean countries. This looks like a wonderful recipe! One that I will save in order to try later. :)

39 Spicie Foodie September 9, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Hi Cynthia,

Wow, I just love your story. I do think that Mediterranean countries are the most laid back, but compared to the US the Northern-European countries I have seen are much more relaxed. Thank you so much for sharing your sweet story and putting a smile on my face:)

40 Patty September 9, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Again, I’m loving your photos! I prefer dining in the slower European style and would really appreciate a bowl of your pasta for dinner tonight- this is a meal that says relax and enjoy;-)

41 Spicie Foodie September 9, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Thanks Patty, I too consider pasta a easy and relaxing meal.

42 Kelly @ Inspired Edibles September 10, 2012 at 1:58 AM

I find the bread and olives absolutely captivating with this dish. I tend to prefer a relaxed, conversational environment as well. You can always signal your waiter over if something is amiss or needed but otherwise, it’s quite nice to just be.

43 Nami | Just One Cookbook September 11, 2012 at 7:02 PM

I haven’t eaten quite well after I got sick and now I am getting my appetite back thanks to your delicious spaghetti photo… Drool. It was very interesting cultural observation and I like it. If I go to restaurants and waiter doesn’t come for a while, I feel we’ve been ignored! Very different way of thinking. I’d love to enjoy our meal – it must be a different experience. I’m so used to eating quickly because of kids. At home I feel my family will eat my food way too quickly and I feel like I spend sometimes hours to make food, and they consume in a few minutes! I’d love that if they sit down and enjoy my meal… haha!

44 vianney September 17, 2012 at 6:26 AM

Sadly many dining establishes do tend to rush their customers, this annoys me as when I go out to dine I want to linger and enjoy the moment. Maybe this is why we prefer to dine in and invite family over, hours upon hours spent at the table~ delish! lovely dish~~