Sunday Snapshots: Postcards From Prague No. 5

by Spicie Foodie on September 23, 2012

Sunday Snapshots: Postcards from Prague, Spicie Foodie

My mind is a dizzying whirlwind right now. I’ve had so much going on these past two weeks and unfortunately it meant that I’ve been neglecting my blog. Besides finishing up the book there have been several technical problems to take care of. Which by the way has left me exhausted. Anywho, I’m planning on getting back on track with steady posts and catching up on all of your blogs. I’ll have more news to share very soon, but in the mean time I leave you with these snapshots from Prague.

Sunday Snapshots: Postcards from Prague, Spicie Foodie

For someone who is not religious I sure visit many churches. It is the history and architecture that I find so fascinating. Plus when you live on a continent where the old church buildings are hundreds and hundreds of years old, it is even more fascinating. The church you see in these photos is called St. Nicholas Church, and it is located in Prague’s Lesser Quarter. According to the church’s website it is “the most famous Baroque church in Prague”.

Sunday Snapshots: Postcards from Prague, Spicie Foodie

Building began on 1703 and was completed in 1752. The church has one of the largest frescoes in Europe, painted on an area of 1500 square metres. It is certainly one of the most impressive churches I have ever seen.

Sunday Snapshots: Postcards from Prague, Spicie Foodie

But what both my husband and I found to be uniquely interesting to this church was the graffiti carved into the wood.

Sunday Snapshots: Postcards from Prague, Spicie Foodie

We stood on the balcony inspecting the wooden surface looking for the oldest carvings we could find. It really made us stop to think about who the person was that carved the date. Also why would they do such a thing? We’ll never know but it certainly was fascinating to find.

Sunday Snapshots: Postcards from Prague, Spicie Foodie

Sunday Snapshots: Postcards from Prague, Spicie Foodie

Sunday Snapshots: Postcards from Prague, Spicie Foodie

Sunday Snapshots: Postcards from Prague, Spicie Foodie

Sunday Snapshots: Postcards from Prague, Spicie Foodie

Sunday Snapshots: Postcards from Prague, Spicie Foodie

Happy Sunday everyone! In case you missed it you can now signup to September’s YBR here, http://www.spiciefoodie.com/ybr/ybr-signup-temporary-page/

I’ll be back tomorrow with a brand new recipe, see you then.

in Sunday Snapshots,Travel Postcards

1 Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb September 23, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Hi Nancy!

Wow its certainly one of the most decorated churches I have seen, and so beautyfull! The 6th picture on top downwards is fascinating, With the fresco’s there r statues as well, sometimes I have the feeling as if the painting is in 3d but then I realize thats a statue. The fresco picture with the bishop is another amazing one. I could sit there for hours and look at the details of the architecture and approach of work. You can learn a bunch from the way they constructed at that time, not that I am going to build a church, its just fascinating. ;)

2 Rosa September 23, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Thanks for the lovely pictures! What a beautiful church.

3 Laura (Tutti Dolci) September 23, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Gorgeous pictures! I love visiting churches – the architecture and art is usually magnificent!

4 Ramona September 23, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I love traveling through the lens of your camera. :) Happy Sunday!

5 mj@cardamomhills September 23, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Ohh…Prague is one of the most beautiful cities in the world(after Istanbul)…its got essence, history and culture all in one pack…the pictures are beautiful….

6 Lea Ann (Cooking on the Ranch) September 23, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Unbelievable architecture. Thanks for sharing the photos.

7 Eha September 24, 2012 at 5:21 AM

Ramona has said it so well :) ! Love the photos and the desire to see all this is ever growing . . . nice feeling! Good luck with the book and all else!!

8 Veronica of Muy Bueno September 24, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Love this church….the woodwork is amazing. There are several churches in Prague. You captured this one beautifully.

9 Holly September 24, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Ah more memories. I’m not religious at all, but I studied Catholic medieval philosophy in connection with medieval chant and music for my masters – and I loved it. (And I grew up Jewish) I find the religion and everything within it fascinating. Every time I see a church I go, even if it’s not on the “tourist hot spot list.”

10 Nami | Just One Cookbook September 24, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Beautiful photography, Nancy. It must be wonderful to live so close to beautiful things surrounded by all these gorgeous architectures, art work and history!

11 mjskit September 25, 2012 at 4:38 AM

Thanks for more pictures of Prague! They are all so beautiful! In reference to the cathedrals, it’s always amazing to see what people were able to do years and sometimes centuries ago without the tools and resources that we have today. Continued good luck with all of the projects you have going on!

12 Hyosun Ro January 20, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Thanks for bringing back my lovely memories of Prague! Your photos are just so beautiful!