(To those of you that receive updates via email subscription, I apologize for the multiple messages sent out. It is the automated RSS feed and this should be the last of those multi post emails sent out. Sorry for the inconvenience.)
Happy Tuesday everyone! Thank you for all the well wishes regarding the technical difficulties. Fortunately I had an older copy of my database in addition to copies of some of the posts that were lost. As you can see things are up and running and I’m excited to share a brand new recipe with you for my current favorite homemade crackers.
These crispy crackers always make my belly happy. They are quite a mixture of flavors that at first look may seem strange, but somehow they just work so well together. We really like them and I hope you do too. I’ve tried to make them as healthy as possible and so I’ve used olive oil as the fat and substituted half the flour with whole wheat. I’m keeping it short today and will get to the recipe straight away. Thanks for stopping by!
- 1 cup (140g) a.p. flour
- 1 cup (140g) whole wheat flour, fine grade
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. Vegeta spice, no MSG variety
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
- 3 tsp. dried rosemary
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ cup (118ml) + 2 tbsp. lukewarm water
- 4 tbsp. olive oil, use a good quality
- extra flour for rolling
- coarse salt for topping, optional
- a little water or oil to brush crackers, optional
- Preheat oven to 400f or 200c, prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or line with silicon slip mat, set aside. In a large bowl sift the two flours, and baking powder together. Stir in all of the spices and stir until well incorporated. Make a well in the center of the bowl, pour the ½ cup (118ml) of water and all of the olive oil into the bowl. Stir or work the dough with your hands until it comes together, gradually add the remaining 2 tbsp. of water if needed. The dough needs to be soft and elastic. Set aside and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Depending on how large the baking sheet is, you may want to divide the dough in half. Roll out the dough on a floured surface until very thin, you can adjust the thickness as you like but make sure you adjust the baking time. Transfer the dough onto baking sheet. Use a knife or pizza cutter to score the dough into squares or desired cracker shapes. You won't need to cut all the way through because the dough shrinks and pulls apart as it bakes so they will break off easily. Use a fork to puncture the dough. Brush the crackers with water or olive oil then sprinkle the coarse salt over the crackers.
- Place baking sheet in center of oven and bake for 10-15 minutes. If you roll out the dough very thin start keeping an eye on the crackers after 8 minutes to prevent burning. Allow to cool completely before breaking individual crackers apart and storing or eating. Repeat the same process for the remaining dough.
- Store in a cool dry place as you would other crackers.
You can find the Vegeta Seasoning, No MSG Variety here.
As you can see it is super simple making your own homemade crackers. You could easily adapt my recipe to your favorite herbs and spices. Enjoy!