Easy Miso Udon Soup and My Favorite Soup and Stew Recipes

“As the days grow short, some faces grow long.  But not mine.  Every autumn, when the wind turns cold and darkness comes early, I am suddenly happy.  It’s time to start making soup again.” ~Leslie Newman

Easy Miso Udon Soup by Spicie Foodie

Before I begin let me tell you that I am not claiming this as an authentic Japanese recipe. (So please my Japanese friends don’t take offense.) This udon soup was a result of cleaning out my pantry. It’s amazing how many half finished packets of dry foods can accumulate so quickly.

Easy Miso Udon Soup by Spicie Foodie

After spending almost an hour clearing out the pantry my stomach began grumbling. It’s cold outside and the only thing I’m craving lately is soup. So it was no hard decision selecting what our lunch would be. I had half a package of dry udon noodles, dried wakame, a few packets of Shimaya – Dashinomoto (soup stock), and red miso paste. In my head I immediately started craving a big bowl of udon from my favorite Japanese restaurant. Instead I had to settle for attempting to make my own udon and hoping it would be edible. I’m not very familiar with Japanese cuisine so I hope for the best. These udon noodles were also about half as thin as the ones from the restaurant. I’m not sure why, but they did taste exactly the same.

Easy Miso Udon Soup by Spicie Foodie

I try to keep it as simple as possible so as to avoid bad tasting food. In the end I winged it and the results were pretty darn good, if I do say so myself. You might have noticed the peas floating around the soup. Yes, they are a strange addition but I have a good excuse. Remember I was cleaning out the cupboard and refrigerator. I didn’t have other fresh vegetables to add to the soup but you could easily add anything you’d like. For example some Japanese mushroom, snow peas, tofu are any of your favorite vegetables.

Easy Miso Udon Soup by Spicie Foodie

5.0 from 11 reviews
Easy Miso Udon Soup

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Warm up with this fast and easy miso udon noodle soup. It will be ready in 10 minutes!
Author:
Recipe type: soup, noodles, seaweed, wakame,
Cuisine: Japanese
Serves: 2
Ingredients
  • udon noodles
  • 1 tbsp. red miso paste
  • 2 small individual packs of Shimaya – Dashinomoto (soup stock), or other broth of choice
  • 4 cups or 1 Lt. of water
  • small handful dried cut wakame
  • chile flakes, optional
  • any vegetables of choice, thinly sliced or pre-cooked
Instructions
  1. Soak the wakame in warm water and set aside. Follow the package instructions for udon noodles. Once boiled and drained, rinse in cold water and set aside.
  2. While the noodles are boiling begin simmering the broth. In a large pot combine the Shimaya – Dashinomoto (soup stock) and 3.5 cups of water, bring to a soft boil. Add any vegetables of choice and continue simmering. Combine the remaining water and miso paste until it breaks up completely. Once vegetables and noodles are cooked mix the miso into the pot, drain the wakame and add it to the pot as well. Next add the noodles, and give the pot a good stir. Before serving sprinkle in some chile flakes if using.
Notes
* Using precooked noodles will cut down on cooking time.

Easy Miso Udon Soup by Spicie Foodie

Even though it didn’t taste exactly like the udon soup from my favorite Japanese restaurant it was still delicious. On a cold rainy day a comforting soup like this one really hits the spot.

What is your favorite soup?

Need some soup or stew ideas? The following are some of my favorite soup and stews recipes from my archives. Enjoy!
Soup and Stew Recipes by Spicie Foodie
Smoked Chicken, Vegetable and Adzuki Soup
Roasted Pumpkin and Patty Pan Stew
Moravian Beans and Cornbread
Baharat Spiced Beef Stew (A Wacky Stew)
Red Chicken Pozole
Goulashesque Chicken Stew
Tomato Cream Soup
Mediterranean-Asian Fish Stew

P.S.
For great and authentic Japanese recipes visit my friend Nami at Just One Cookbook – Quick & Easy Japanese Home Cooking Recipes, http://justonecookbook.com/

Yummy Pics: A Food Blogger's Guide to Better Photos, Photography eBook by Spicie Foodie

Comments

SUCH gorgeous photos!!! About to read your guide on food styling so I can pick up some tips :) My fav soup of the moment is probably Martha Stewart’s tortilla soup OR if this counts, a pureed carrot soup that I really want to make but haven’t tried yet!! All of your soups look delicious though. I really would love to try cooking with miso, but I haven’t bought it yet because I’m a little scared of the unknown I guess! Again, looks totally delicious :)

Unfortunately I dont have a source here to get Shimaya and wakame but I have red miso paste in my fridge. Oh I cleaned out day before yesterday, so many things had to be thrown out, the rainy season was though again. You know Nancy I love those moment when you end up only with rest of the pantry and you have to figure out a dish to use some of them. I really get creative at those times and some crazy discoveries happened like that.

You got a it into the Christmas mood already? The pictures at least remind me of christmas for some odd reason.

Maybe you can create something else using the miso. Yes, it’s funny how that pushes us and we end up with great new creations:)

Far from it Helene, lol. It just happened…brown and read are two of my favorite colors.

This soup looks perfect! Now if this is a result of you cleaning out the pantry… Bravo! I love the peas in it… I put peas on my Thai soup last week (not authentic.. but they are so convenient) . Don’t you love when an experiment turns out fantastic? Beautifully done my friend. I could have used this soup last week when I had my cold. :)

This sounds like such a cliche, but your photos have literally made my mouth water!

I made a fantastic Malaysian Laksa the other night that I’m going to write up very soon. I think it’d be just your cup of tea – spicy but with clever flavours below, with the curry paste made from scratch.

I believe you that this soup was good–I have very similar ingredients that are always in my pantry and boy, when you want something quick and comforting this is the answer. Looks great, Nancy. :)

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. Your website looks great and I added it to my RSS feed. The miso soup sounds delicious. It’s something I’ve wanted to make at home but the recipes I had included ingredients I couldn’t find in the store…. :(

Hi Lisa,
      It’s a pleasure getting to know a fellow blogger:) Sorry to hear you couldn’t find the ingredients. Have you tried Amazon? They are my go to for exotic ingredients I can’t find. Thanks and good luck!

7. Eha says

I absolutely love your collection of soups and stews from truly around the world. Have bookmarked to go around clockwise :D ! Not one that does not excite ere I begin!!!

Nancy, you’re so silly. :) This is how we cook miso soup and we sometimes add udon to that. So everything you did is very authentic, including ingredients! ;) Thanks for mentioning my blog and you are so kind. I’m cleaning my fridge and pantry before my trip too. I seriously think about making this for lunch tomorrow as my daughter loves udon and I have dried udon too. Oh, somehow dried udon is always thinner and “raw” udon is thicker. Maybe for storage wise, thick dried udon noodle stick is impossible? You made me curious! ;)

I love eating warm soups during the winter. I used to love plain, simple vegetable soups (carrot or leek soup), but recently I added some spices to the usual soup and SURPRISE I loved it. I like Japanese flavours (let me clean my pantry…)!

Me too Rita. Actually I just love all types of soup so I’m happy with hot or cold. Spices are so wonderful and full of surprises. Have fun cleaning out your pantry;)

I’ve been under the weather with a cold this past week- could use a hot steaming bowl of your Miso Udon soup! Love the photo collage of your favorite soups and stews ;-)

Love the idea of a pantry and fridge clean-out meal! And to think, you created something totally delectable as a result of your cleanup. I’m convinced my cleanup would result in something totally insane and not nearly as good as your soup :)

I would love a bowl of this noodle soup right now! Any type of noodle soup is my favorite especially when it has a clear and rich broth like this one! Gorgeous, gorgeous photos!

What a beautiful quote at the top of your post! I love Autumn, rain, overcast skies – what a great excuse to stay at home and cook! :) Beautiful soup! It makes me very hungry just to look at it. And it doesn’t help that I have not had dinner yet.

This is an awesome and very authentic Japanese soup for pantry clean-out! Not that I ever let authenticity bother me one bit. I’ve done this with ramen noodles, except I threw in some chunks of tofu.

I love the udon wrapped around the hashi. Amazing food styling!

Trackbacks