Congratulations to Laura (Tutti Dolci) on winning a copy of An Edible Mosaic: Middle Eastern Fare with Extraordinary Flair. We’ll be in touch shortly!
Have you ever found a full green potato or one that is spotted green? Recently I found a couple in the bag I purchased, and some turned green after a couple of days in the container where I store them. My first thought was how pretty they look. Also thinking that the ones in the bag perhaps needed a few more days to ripen. Then when a few turned green after sitting in the container a couple of days I knew it couldn’t possibly be an issue of unripened vegetables. Luckily the green potatoes had also begun softening and I discarded them. When more green potatoes appeared in another purchased bag I decided to do some research.
It turns out that throwing out the green potatoes was a good idea because they are poisonous. The green color is due to high levels of chlorophyll which in this case means an increased amount of Solanine. Solanine is a glycoalkaloid (poison found in nightshade family) toxin. When ingested it can cause any of the following symptoms* nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, stomach cramps, burning of the throat, cardiac dysrhythmia, headache and dizziness. In more severe cases, hallucinations, loss of sensation, paralysis, fever, jaundice, dilated pupils, hypothermia. If ingested in high doses solanine can lead to death.
The best way to avoid ingesting solanine is to discard the green potato or for small spots completely cut away the green skin and section around it. Additionally if the potatoes have sprouted they too should be thrown out. Furthermore bitter tasting potatoes should not be consumed. You can avoid solanine from developing by storing potatoes in a cool, dry and dimly lit place with good circulation. Most of us not need be concerned with solanine because it is quite rare that a green potato is released into the market. Still keep an eye out for it and avoid.
In the photo above you can see the difference in color. The top potato is perfectly fine, the middle has a spot and I cut off the bottom halve before using. The bottom potato us green and it went right into the trash. After all the research I did I am sure glad it went straight into the garbage.
Okay, so how many of you knew this about green potatoes? Or am I the only one who didn’t know. Let’s move on to something more fun -Christmas gift! (lol) Today I put together some fun gift ideas for us foodies with a few of my favorites. The week of gift ideas continues check them out!
1. My current favorite cookbook, An Edible Mosaic: Middle Eastern Fare with Extraordinary Flair. Faith’s recipes are so healthy and will really come in handy after the holidays when we go back to eating healthier.
2.The end of the year is a good time to replace the more worn out kitchen utensils. Ones on my wish/gift list are these OXO Good Grips 15-Piece , but there are tones more budget friendly options too.
3.Hugo Deep Red By Hugo Boss OMG this is the best perfume ever! Out of all my perfumes this is the one I get the most compliments on. Girls it also drives the guys crazy…
4. Gift Cards for All Occasions Some people are just to hard to shop for. That’s were gift cards really come in handy. You can have these delivered with snail mail or email. I Love them!
5. Girls we don’t only need cute purses but also pretty camera bags to travel with our photo gear. This Jill-e 769374 Camera Leather Bag is so cute and it comes in three colors. Plus it gets great reviews.
6. Boys have cars to drool over and us girls have KitchenAid Artisan Series Mixers to fantasies about. I can’t wait for my red one to arrive. If you don’t fancy silver or red there are tones of other colors and designs to choose from.
7. There are so many great cookbooks in the market right now. The Bouchon Bakery by Thomas Keller is among the best cookbooks of 2012. Check out the full list of Cookbooks Best Sellers of 2012 and all the food bloggers turn cookbook authors.
8. Lastly one of the best inventions ever, the Kindle! I love books but they take up so much space in my luggage and purse. The Kindle takes care of those problems. Right now they are having a sale and an entry level costs only $69 -sweet!
Have a great Wednesday everyone and I hope you are all having a great holiday season! xoxo