Homemade Soy Milk or How To Make Soy Milk

by Spicie Foodie on January 14, 2013

Homemade Soy Milk or How To Make Soy Milk | Recipe by Spicie Foodie

I’ve never been a fan of cow milk. The smell makes me gag and never in my life have I ever been able to drink a glass of plain cow milk. Even so we do buy organic whole fat milk for our morning coffee, English style tea, and for cooking and baking purposes. Now and then I like to take a break from regular milk and replace it with non-dairy alternatives. Typically I would run to the health food store and buy whatever option they happen to have or one I was craving that week. While the prices tend to be a tad higher than standard milk I always felt it was worth the extra cost.

Homemade Soy Milk or How To Make Soy Milk | Recipe by Spicie Foodie

A few years ago it finally dawned on me that I could easily make my own soy and almond milks at home. Once I started I was not only saving money but also enjoying my versions much more than store bought brands. My homemade versions guarantee no preservatives, no additives, no sugar syrups or artificial sweeteners and colors, and no thickening agents. Yes, I am aware that every brand is different and I do read every package before I buy it. But making my own I know exactly what is going into the milk.

Homemade Soy Milk or How To Make Soy Milk | Recipe by Spicie Foodie

The only drawback about making non-dairy milks is that they are not fortified with vitamins and minerals like some of the commercial brands. But as long as you make sure to consume the daily requirements of vitamins and minerals then there’s no worries. It’s all about a balanced healthy diet and a multi-vitamin doesn’t hurt either. Of course if you have a soy allergy or special dietary needs it is best to stay away from soy milk and consult your doctor first.

Homemade Soy Milk or How To Make Soy Milk | Recipe by Spicie Foodie  Over the few years of making soy milk at home I have picked up some helpful tips.
- use the freshest dried soy beans possible.
- if buying organic is in your budget I highly suggest you do. If it isn’t then choose a brand with no GMO and read the label to double check.
- soaking the beans overnight for a minimum of 10 hours will really help in easier blending and better milking. They should be doubled, or more, in size after soaking. The container should be large enough to allow the beans to expand.
- either a cheese or muslin cloth can be used for straining. I use a muslin cloth and am happy with the results.
- to reduce the beanie taste remove the outer skins after soaking. This adds more work to the process and it can be skipped. It depends how much time I have and I do skip it sometimes.
- prevent a messy spill by keeping heat down and an eye on it
- the boiling causes a layer of “skin” to form on top, skim off  and either discard or save for cooking. For more information read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tofu_skin
- thickness can be adjusted by adding or omitting water
- it can be sweetened or flavored if desired
- after milking the ground soybean meal is called okara. It can be saved, dried and used in baking, for fried foods or many other options. Read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okara_(food)
- the soy milk can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week
- to prevent it from curdling in your coffee or tea first pour the milk into the mug then add the coffee or brewed tea to it. I don’t understand the physics behind it but it just works:)

Homemade Soy Milk or How To Make Soy Milk | Recipe by Spicie Foodie

4.8 from 11 reviews

Homemade Soy Milk or How To Make Soy Milk

Cook time
Total time

Making soy milk at home is cheaper, healthier and easier than you think. Make a batch of this great tasting soy milk drink.
Author:
Recipe type: Drink, Soy, Non-Dairy, Vegetarian,Vegan, Drink
Cuisine: Asian, International
Serves: 7 cups
Ingredients
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup or 160 g dry organic soy beans
  • 6-8 cups of water (1.5 to 2 liters)
  • salt, to taste
  • sugar, to taste and optional
  • vanilla, cinnamon, chocolate or flavoring of choice, optional
Equipment Needed:
  • strainer or fine sieve
  • muslin or cheese cloth
  • large pot
  • blender or food processor
Instructions
  1. Wash and sort the soy beans then place in a large bowl and fill with water. Allow to soak overnight, change the water at least once and if needed add more water if beans soak it up. The next day beans should be doubled or more in size. Check that they are soft and can easily be cut through, if not they need to soak longer. Rinse thoroughly.
  2. If you would like to remove the outer shells do so now otherwise skip this step. Pour the soaked beans into a large bowl and cover with water. Grab some beans between your palms and start rubbing them together. (refer to the photo collage) This will loosen the shells so continue to do so until they separate. Place the beans back into the water and give a gentle stir with your hands. The shells will float to the top of the water or just above the beans, scoop then out and rinse the soybeans.
  3. Place a cheese or muslin cloth over the strainer and set on top of a large pot. No we blend the soybeans. I like to do so in batches. Place 1 cup of the soaked soybeans in the blender then add either 2 or 3 cups of water (500 or 750 ml) Cover and blend for about 3-5 minutes until the beans have completely broken down. Pour liquid into the cloth covered strainer. Allow to strain for a minute or two then bring all the ends of the cloth together and twist until all the liquid is squeezed out. Remove the ground soybean/okara and set aside, place cloth back on strainer. Blend the next batch of soaked beans and water, strain and repeat until all of the soybeans have been processed and strained. (There are 3 batches with the amount of beans I soaked.
  4. Place the pot on the stove over medium low heat and bring to a boil, stir from time to time. Keep an eye on the soy milk because it can bubble and over flow. Once the milk has boiled add the salt, flavoring and sweeteners you may want to add. Turn the heat down to low and allow to cook for another 20 minutes, again keep an eye on it otherwise it will make an ugly mess on the stove. Turn the heat off and allow the milk to completely cool before you use it or store it. Scoop out the “skin” or film that forms on top. Discard it or use it in cooking.
  5. Once soy milk has come to room temperature it can be stored in the refrigerator. Make sure to remove any skin that may have formed on top. Store in the refrigerator no more than one week.
Notes
I used a total of 7 cups (1.750 liters) of water. You choose how thick you want the soy milk by either adding more or less water.

Homemade Soy Milk or How To Make Soy Milk | Recipe by Spicie Foodie

The photo above is the leftover soybean meal after milking, this is called Okara. It has many cooking and baking uses so before discarding it do a quick recipe search.

Homemade Soy Milk or How To Make Soy Milk | Recipe by Spicie Foodie

I know this post and recipe are long. But don’t let that discourage you in any way. Most of the text is my over explaining the process.

Homemade Soy Milk or How To Make Soy Milk | Recipe by Spicie Foodie

Once you make soy milk for the first time you’ll see how easy, delicious and inexpensive it is. I love that I can decide if I want it sweet and if I want to experiment with any other flavours. Mostly I leave the soy milk plain so that I can use it in drinks, savory cooking and sweet baking.

Homemade Soy Milk or How To Make Soy Milk | Recipe by Spicie Foodie

I can never wait until it has cooled down. So I make myself a cup of English style tea in my antique tin cup with a swirl of plain homemade soy milk and some grab a few sweet biscuits too. A little bit of heaven! Enjoy the recipe and your homemade soy milk.

P.S.
If you are allergic to soy or just don’t care for the taste then try almond milk. This recipe is for raw almond milk and this one is for slightly cooked. Enjoy!

Yummy Pics: A Food Blogger's Guide to Better Photos, Photography eBook by Spicie Foodie

in Asian,Drinks,How To Basics,Vegan/Vegetarian

1 Rosa January 14, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Marvelous! That is something I have never made myself…

2 Spicie Foodie January 16, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Thanks Rosa and I hope you give it a try.

3 Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) January 14, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I mostly drink cow’s milk but I do really like soy milk, too. In fact, I sometimes have cravings for it. I bet your homemade version is far superior to anything I can buy at the store. I’m so impressed that you make your own!

4 Spicie Foodie January 16, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Hi Jean,
I’m the same way. Thanks, it’s actually quite easy.

5 Victoria of Flavors of the Sun January 14, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I made tofu once with an 85-year-old friend, but never soy milk. Great idea as we consume a lot of it!

6 Spicie Foodie January 16, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Wow that’s great Victoria! I’d love to give tofu a try sometime. Thanks!

7 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) January 14, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Great post! I am very much like you. We use a bit of dairy (mostly in cheese form) here and there but never drink cows milk. We mostly stick to almond, coconut and some soy. Have you ever tried the Soy Milk Creamer from Trader Joe’s for your coffee and tea? It’s pretty tasty!

8 Spicie Foodie January 16, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Cheese is also the majority of dairy we consume. I love making almond milk. No I haven’t, I actually live in Europe and not Trader Joe here. I’ll check my health food store and see if they have it though. Thanks for the tip!

9 Cynthia L. January 14, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I have never even thought of trying this. You make it look so tempting. I will have to give this a try as my daughter is allergic to milk. Thanks for sharing the recipe and the wonderful photos!

10 Spicie Foodie January 16, 2013 at 9:16 PM

It is so simple Cynthia. I hope you do give it a try and maybe even let your daughter help. Thanks!

11 Laura (Tutti Dolci) January 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM

So many people I know drink soy milk, what a great recipe! I will send them your way :).

12 Spicie Foodie January 16, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Thanks Laura!

13 Evelyne@cheapethniceatz January 14, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Love reading recipes like this where you make a basic ingredient one would just buy. I have to admit I am a milk addict but once in a while I’ll get soy. This more economical and you used the by products too. Reminds me of the time I tried making almond milk.

14 Spicie Foodie January 16, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Yes, it is pretty amazing how we can transform and get so much of one simple ingredient. Almond milk is great too!

15 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies January 14, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Oh, I am the same way! People always assume I don’t drink dairy milk because I’m vegan, but it’s because I can’t stand the smell. It makes me feel sick! I could never stomach it as a kid either. I always buy soy milk, but I’m curious to try making it myself. :)

16 Spicie Foodie January 16, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Haha glad to meet someone who agrees with me.

17 SB January 14, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Loved ur post and loved ur pitcher too :-) where did u buy it from?

18 Spicie Foodie January 16, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Thanks SB! I bought it at small local home supplies store.

19 Ramona January 14, 2013 at 11:38 PM

I agree.. I don’t like cow’s milk either. This is such a cool process to make soy milk. I have also seen almond milk being made at home. Love the alternative to store bought soy milk. :)

20 Spicie Foodie January 16, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Thanks Ramona! Yep I also make my own almond milk.

21 Kellie@foodtoglow January 15, 2013 at 6:10 AM

Great how- to, Nancy. We are lucky in the UK to be able to easily get organic beans, & GMO not allowed here. We gripe a lot about government but this is one thing they have right. Btw, have you ever considered a tofu maker? Jean- Francois at 222million tons.com has info on this, & cool ideas for the pants. Thoroughly nice bloke too :-)

22 Spicie Foodie January 16, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Yes Kellie in all of Europe it is the same. The food protections are really good. Thanks I just checked out his website. You’re write he has so many great ideas. Thanks for sharing Kellie!

23 Kellie@foodtoglow January 15, 2013 at 6:16 AM

Gah! please undo the autocorrect ‘ pants’ to say ‘ okara’! Just getting used to my kindlefire, & it’s 5 am here.

24 Spicie Foodie January 16, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Haha, no problem!

25 yummychunklet January 15, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Bookmarked! Making this!

26 Spicie Foodie January 16, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Have fun and let me know how you like it.

27 Juliana January 16, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Cool Nancy, homemade soy milk…taste much better than the store bought one.
Love the pictures Nancy and have a great week!

28 Spicie Foodie January 16, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Agreed Juliana. Thank you and you too!

29 Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today January 16, 2013 at 1:41 AM

It something I definitely need to try. I’m in love with a soy milk for a long time now, but I have my favorite brand and always buy it. It will be so much nicer to make it myself.

30 Spicie Foodie January 16, 2013 at 9:22 PM

You should at least once Marta and if you don’t like it then there’s always the brand you like.

31 Rochelle January 16, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Although I have no issues with cows milk, my hubby does when it comes to drinking it straight. Soy milk though is something that we can both agree with and I’ve always wanted to make it from scratch but never tried. Now as long as I can find the soy beans, I have no excuse not to do it now :D

32 Spicie Foodie January 16, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Good luck finding them and I hope you can give it a try soon.

33 vianney January 17, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Great recipe Nancy we love soy milk and it is sometimes hard to find in my little city!

vianney~

34 Spicie Foodie January 17, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Thanks Vianney!

35 cakewhiz January 17, 2013 at 3:25 AM

i had no idea it’s so easy to make soy milk.
my family switched over to almond milk and soy milk at the end of last year and they are both so pricey. it’s good to know i can make my own now and save money :D

pinned this recipe! everyone needs to know how simple this is…hehe

36 Spicie Foodie January 17, 2013 at 12:37 PM

It really is simple Abeer! Almond milk is basically the same process. Enjoy and thanks for the pin!

37 ashley - baker by nature January 17, 2013 at 3:59 AM

This is SO creative! I love being able to make milk at home, and will definitely give this a try.

38 Spicie Foodie January 17, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Thank you Ashley! I hope you can give it a try soon.

39 Nami | Just One Cookbook January 21, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I’m actually a little bit lactose and I should be drinking soy milk…but I do not like ready-made soy milk. I have tried some homemade version and it tasted amazing. I know I have to try this one day but I’ve been lazy all this time and keep drinking cow milk (but control amount…). Thank you for inspiring me. Saving this recipe for future!

40 Bri May 26, 2013 at 5:56 AM

Thank you, this is terrific! I look forward to trying this. I was wondering… do you have any tips on purchasing whole soybeans. I understand many soy beans are grown in South America where they are truly hurting the rainforests. I’d like to purchase something that I know is more environmentally friendly. Also, do you buy in a bag like rice or from a wholefoods bin and measure it out? Thanks! Beautiful! Inspiring!

41 Spicie Foodie May 27, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Hi Bri,

My advice on soybeans is to make sure they are not a GMO product, if you can purchase locally and organic I recommend that. I always buy a small bag, like rice, but I as long as the bin is non-GMO then there shouldn’t be any problems with it. Thank you and enjoy the soy milk!:)

42 Suresh May 30, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Thank you. You have made the process look so simple. I will try this and I am sure I am going to prepare good and tasty Soy milk…..

43 Spicie Foodie May 30, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Thanks and enjoy it!

44 Molida June 13, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I just tried your recipe today and the soymilk turned out great! Thanks for the easy to follow instructions!

45 Spicie Foodie June 13, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Thank you Molida, glad to hear it.:)

46 Stephen June 20, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Wow. I’ll be trying this soon. I have no problems with cow’s milk, or goat’s milk for that matter, but I have a nephew who’ll be visiting in the Spring (I’m in Chile, where it’s winter now), and he’s a vegan. Here in Santiago, soy milk is extremely hard to find, outrageously expensive when you do find it, and invariably vanilla or chocolate – - impossible to cook with.

I’m really glad to find this recipe, and to learn how easy it is to make. Thanks a lot!

47 Spicie Foodie June 21, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Hi Stephen,

Glad you found my recipe and can now make it for your nephew. Enjoy!

48 Jetni June 21, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Wow! Such a beautiful n honest presentation. Thank you so much you had inspired me to do it myself.
Keep up the good work.

49 Spicie Foodie June 21, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Thank you Jetni, enjoy your soy milk:)

50 Izzy August 30, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Hi thanks for the soja milk and almond milk recipes, cannot wait to try them,
I am no longer having dairy, just whole foods for me for the rest of my life :)

51 Spicie Foodie August 30, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Enjoy both of the recipes, I think they both make a wonderful dairy milk alternative. If you can try to use organic soy beans to avoid the unhealthy kind.

52 Shadion September 16, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I tried your recipe on the weekend and let me tell you how FANTASTIC the soymilk turned out! No “beany taste” thanks to your tip on stripping the beans before blending. Thank you, Thank you! I will be making my very own from now on!

53 Angban November 10, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Hi! Thanks you make it look so simple I about to try it now, I have finished the soakin and removing of the outer skin and about to begin the next step

54 Maimuna November 12, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Owesome! I lyk this soya milk

55 biklet December 22, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Why my soymilk cruddle?? It seems turning into tofu??

56 Spicie Foodie December 22, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Hi Biklet,

I’m sorry to hear your soy milk curdled. I have never had that happened in all the years I’ve been making it. Perhaps it could be that you boiled it too long and also the heat might be too hot. I hope you try again and with better results.:)

57 OMOJESU1 January 9, 2014 at 3:49 AM

I LOVE YOUR SOYA MILK PROCEDURE

58 Spicie Foodie January 9, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Thank you!:)

59 sha January 30, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Yes, my soymilk also cruddle and turns into bean curd (tofu). Got no idea whether is it because of the process or because the water is too less(wanted to make it more concentrated) or because I store it inside a thermal container.

I remove the skin and blended the soften soya beans and boiled the blended soya bean first and strain them after it cools down. I think it will produce better soya milk (more concentrated, more vitamin extracted out). This is my personal opinion don’t know whether how true is it.

I reduce the among of water to make the soya milk more concentrated and I store it using those thermal container to keep it warm. Next day wanted to pour some for my PREGNANT WIFE to drink but it become bean curd.

Yes, I’m doing it for my PREGNANT WIFE to drink.
Unfortunately she has no appetite. She only drinks a little bit and i got to store them warm as pregnant woman is not advisable to drink cold water.

Thanks Spicie Foodie for your receipe. I’m going to try your Almond. By the way how long do you soak the almond?

60 Alan February 3, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Hello:

I made this myself and after letting the soy milk cool overnight…I have found that it tastes a little “soapy” if that makes any sense. When you let the soybeans soak overnight…should they be in the refrigerator or should we just leave them on the counter?

I did omit the removing of the skin…maybe I should remove the skin next time?

Any help you can provide is welcome =D

61 Spicie Foodie February 3, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Hi Alan,

I’m sorry to hear you found the taste “soapy”, I haven’t come across that. Could the container used to store the soy milk have had some dishwashing liquid residue? Did you rinse the beans after soaking them overnight? I let the soybeans soak on on the counter in a covered container.

The skin, I have found, gives the milk a stronger beany taste but not a soapy one. I hope this helps.:) ~Nancy

62 Alan February 4, 2014 at 6:35 AM

Spicie:

Thanks for the assist…another word I could choose to describe the taste is “Metallic”. Would that be synonymous with “Beanie” ??

I did not rinse the beans after soaking….also after looking back….I realized I skipped the simmering process and just went from the blender to the filter bag and then to the fridge. Will not simmering the milk change the taste?

Thanks!

Alan

63 Spicie Foodie February 4, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Hi Alan,

Bingo! The simmering step is to “cook” the milk, this takes away that awful taste you experienced. You poor thing! When I was learning to make soy milk I once tasted the milk right after the blending and filtering step — the taste is quite unpleasant.

Do you still have the milk in you refrigerator? Perhaps you could try simmering it and giving it a taste again? Otherwise I fear you’ll have to go through the whole process again. Good luck!:) ~Nancy