Sunday Snapshots: Crispbread Crackers with Cheese and Cucumbers

Sunday Snapshots: Crispbread Crackers with Cheese and Cucumbers by Spicie Foodie

Are you a snacker? I tend not to be one. Instead I prefer to make sure I feel sated with my meals so I don’t have to snack in between them. Though I try it isn’t always easy to accomplish. Those days of course I end up reaching for a snack. When I reach for a snack I try my hardest (though it doesn’t always happen) to make healthy and nutritious choices. One of my favorite foods to reach for are these Scandinavian crisp breads.

Have you ever tried them? My husband introduced me to them and the first impression was not good. In fact he called them cardboard bread even though he likes them. The bread is hard, dry and resembles a cracker of sorts. But at the same time it does resembles cardboard. Don’t let the look fool you because they really grow on you. They are a little salty, dry, crumbly and taste like whole grain crumbly bread. Really, so simple and yet so good.

Mostly they are made with rye flour, salt and water. Though there are several other varieties too. The calorie count is quite low but they are still nutritious due to the rye or whole grains used. I love that I can eat it like or instead of toast with sweet or savory toppings. Perhaps my favorite way of eating crisp bread is with a smearing of soft cheese and a slice of cucumber or tomatoes. The cheese isn’t low in calories but we balance it out with healthy bread and fruit or vegetable.

I’d love to hear what your favorite healthy snack is?

Happy Sunday! Have a great week and I’ll be back Tuesday with a new recipe.

Yummy Pics: A Food Blogger's Guide to Better Photos, Photography eBook by Spicie Foodie

P.S.
Looking for Valentine’s Day meal ideas? Check out my roundup.

Comments

Crisp bread is my favorite too Nancy!! But what I liked about this crisp bread was the fact that it was made out of rye flour. Beautiful photography as usual. Loved that green platter :)

Nancy, you even make dry crackers look good! I AM a snacker, but you are right, it is important to make snacks healthy. My go-to snack is Fruit & Nut Granola Bites that I make at home, but cheese and crackers is another favorite, especially your idea of adding the cucumber. :)

I think I’ve had crispbreads under the guise of some other name. I like crackers like that, I think they’re rather tasty. I think my favorite snacks are my emergency muffins or a piece of fruit. I try to have one or the other on me at all times because I tend to get really hungry at odd moments.

I do know these crackers and you can get used to anything but I am afraid they still taste like cardboard. I guess it depends on the toppings and there you can really get carried away. Favourite snack? Cherries or blueberries at the moment. Or smoked salmon wrapped around celery stuffed with cottage cheese. As always, gorgeous photos.

It really is an issue of you either like them or you don’t. I love fresh berries but have a long wait until they arrive here. Gosh, you’ve made me quite hungry now Suzanne! Thanks!

5. Eha says

On the one hand was naturally brought up on these geography-wise :) ! On the other, have eaten four small meals a day for many years, and unless I get dark chocolate cravings at midnight, snacks are not part of my life. That said, a world-famous ‘cracker’ firm has recently brought out sesame and nut ‘lunch’ squares which I met accidentally and which, honestly and truly, are yum! Yes, but I do use them for one of my small meals ;) !

I don’t particularly have certain snack that I always eat. But I’m in the car often so I always have healthy bars…don’t want to consider my “favorite” though. I just eat because of convenience… I should bring an ice chest in the car and put cheese and cucumber in it for gourmet style snack in the car! =P Love your pictures!

Trackbacks