Sunday Snapshots: My First Eiffel Tower Photos

by Spicie Foodie on March 10, 2013

Sunday Snapshots: My First Eiffel Tower Photos by Spicie Foodie

Today I want to share the first two photos I ever shot of the Eiffel Tower. They were snapped on an overcast Parisian day.

Sunday Snapshots: My First Eiffel Tower Photos by Spicie Foodie

My husband and I were out for a walk around the neighborhood when I noticed the tower peeking out between the buildings. I positioned myself as best I could and took these pictures.

Sunday Snapshots: My First Eiffel Tower Photos by Spicie Foodie

They were shot on a Pentax K-1000 film camera that my husband gave me. Oh, how I loved it and snapping photos of everything I saw or came across.

Sunday Snapshots: My First Eiffel Tower Photos by Spicie Foodie

Back then I was still learning about composition, aperture, shutter speeds and how to properly load the film onto my camera. These photos aren’t perfect, but I love them because they are the first snaps I shot of the Eiffel Tower, and because this is around the time I was infected by the photography bug.

Sunday Snapshots: My First Eiffel Tower Photos by Spicie Foodie

How about you, have you shot a film camera lately? Do you remember when you fell in love with photography?

Hope your Sunday is a fun, sunny day. And cheers to 10 more days until the official start of spring — yay!

Yummy Pics: A Food Blogger's Guide to Better Photos, Photography eBook by Spicie Foodie

in Photography,Sunday Snapshots,Travel Postcards

1 Rosa March 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Great clicks! I love the one in black and white.

2 Spicie Foodie March 10, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Thank you Rosa!:)

3 john@kitchenriffs March 10, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I definitely remember my first film camera – a Minolta SRT 101. I still have it, as a matter of fact. My favorite film camera was a Nikon F3 HP – loved the viewfinder in that! I sold both of them a few years ago when I determined I’m unlikely to shoot film again. Although I really miss B&W film – loved the grain in Tri-X. If I ever do film again, I’ll probably pick up a used medium format camera – love the negative size on those. Fun pictures! I have some that look quite similar. ;-)

4 Spicie Foodie March 10, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Hi John,

Yay, another film camera fan.:) I still have mine and really want a Brownie for my collection. Thank you! I’m sure you do, the Eiffel has been photograph a gazillion times from all angles by people from all over the world.:)

5 Laura (Tutti Dolci) March 10, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Beautiful, Nancy! I love the feel of the black and white.

6 Spicie Foodie March 11, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Thank you Laura!

7 mjskit March 10, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Nancy – these are gorgeous shots of the Eiffel Tower! I’ve never been to Paris so one of the things that I love most is how you captured the feeling of being a person just walking down a Paris street and seeing this huge structure literally towering over the town. Most pictures are of the tower and that’s all. Your picture is of the tower being part of Paris. Beautiful! I’ve loved being a viewer of photography all of my life. My husband is a professional photographer – mostly wildlife and scenery. I’ve always been the person that would say “Bobby – look over there! Isn’t that gorgeous?” And then he would capture it if he wasn’t already in the process. :) He always shot film until about 10 years ago and he switched to digital. As for me, I never even started taking pictures until two years ago when I started my blog. I love doing food photography even though I really struggle with styling and sets. I’ve got the technical aspect down, but the “artistic” part – I just operate on the wrong side of the brain. :)

8 Spicie Foodie March 11, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Thank you so much MJ! I love that you saw exactly what feeling I was trying to capture.

Wow, how cool — I love both wildlife and landscape photography. Really, only two years? I would have never guessed it. You have mastered both the technical and artistic parts. I think your photography is beautiful and always leave with such a serene feeling from your photos.

9 Suzanne Perazzini March 10, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Photography is such a new art for me and I am always learning. I love the duplicate Eiffel Tower.

10 Spicie Foodie March 11, 2013 at 11:28 PM

It isn’t so new to me anymore, but I do feel that that learning process with it never ends. Thanks Suzanne!

11 Victoria of Flavors of the Sun March 11, 2013 at 5:02 AM

Oooh…these photos bring back nice memories. When I lived in Paris, I lived in the 7th arrondissement, the same one as the Eiffel Tower. Many years ago, I had my own darkroom and oh how I loved shooting real film. I miss it and haven’t used actual film in years. In fact, I usually use my point and shoot camera rather than my digital SLR just because I don’t understand it very well. Sigh…

12 Spicie Foodie March 11, 2013 at 11:29 PM

We lived in the same arrondissement — wonder if we were there at the same time? Wow, how cool to have your own darkroom.

13 Holly March 11, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Love the color effects in the second photo. I have no idea how you got that but it’s beautiful.

I have to say, I’ve never been bitten by the photography bug. I like it ok, and there are definitely times I wish I had my camera on me (like when I go running) but I’ve never been very good at the visual arts. Words and music are much more my domain. However, your photos always inspire me to work harder on my own food photography.

14 Spicie Foodie March 11, 2013 at 11:32 PM

It’s a dual processing Holly, thank you!

That’s okay that you’re not that into photography. We all have to pick what we are good at and have a passion for — we can’t be good at everything. Thanks!:)

15 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen March 14, 2013 at 6:04 AM

Wonderful shots from a different perspective than we are used to seeing the Eiffel Tower!

16 Spicie Foodie March 14, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Thank you Sylvie!

17 Nami | Just One Cookbook March 15, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Beautiful shots as always! You are constantly studying photography – and you inspire me!

18 Spicie Foodie March 15, 2013 at 10:02 PM