Wordless Wednesday: Homemade Corn Tortillas

As the sun peeked out from behind the clouds I made corn tortillas.

Wordless Wednesday: Homemade Corn Tortilla Recipe by Spicie Foodie | #mexican #tortillas #recipe #authentic Wordless Wednesday: Homemade Corn Tortilla Recipe by Spicie Foodie | #mexican #tortillas #recipe #authentic Wordless Wednesday: Homemade Corn Tortilla Recipe by Spicie Foodie | #mexican #tortillas #recipe #authentic Wordless Wednesday: Homemade Corn Tortilla Recipe by Spicie Foodie | #mexican #tortillas #recipe #authentic Wordless Wednesday: Homemade Corn Tortilla Recipe by Spicie Foodie | #mexican #tortillas #recipe #authentic Wordless Wednesday: Homemade Corn Tortilla Recipe by Spicie Foodie | #mexican #tortillas #recipe #authentic Wordless Wednesday: Homemade Corn Tortilla Recipe by Spicie Foodie | #mexican #tortillas #recipe #authentic Wordless Wednesday: Homemade Corn Tortilla Recipe by Spicie Foodie | #mexican #tortillas #recipe #authentic

5.0 from 5 reviews
Homemade Corn Tortillas

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Making gluten free corn tortillas at home is easy! All you need is a little time and 3 ingredient to be rewarded with the taste of homemade tortillas.
Author:
Recipe type: Bread, Gluten Free, Side Dish
Cuisine: Mexican, Gluten-Free
Ingredients
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups masa harina*
  • 1¼ cup water*
  • salt
Utensils:
  • tortilla press
  • plastic sandwich bag
  • griddle or large pan
Instructions
  1. Heat the griddle or pan over medium hight heat. Line the tortilla press with the plastic sandwich bag. Make sure the bag is large enough to overlap the press. Mix masa harina with a little bit of salt. Make a well in the center and gradually add water until the dough comes to a spongy wet consistency. Divide the dough into equal sized balls, about 14-16.
  2. Place one of the dough balls in the center of the press, and press down to flatten. Gently peel the tortilla away from the plastic bag and place on griddle/pan. Cook until small blisters begin to form, about 1 minute, flip and cook for another 40 seconds or until cooked through. Keep the cooked tortillas covered to prevent from drying out.
  3. Repeat step 2 until all of the tortillas have been cooked.
Notes
*The flour to water ratio will depend on how dry or humid conditions are in your kitchen. I suggest starting off with a little water and working as much as needed as the dough comes together. If you add too much water simply add a bit more flour into the mix.

Masa harina and tortilla press can be purchased here.

By the time I was finished cooking my tortillas the sun had retreated back behind the clouds. Thankfully my photography lamp kit saved the day!

More flat bread recipes:
Chinese Scallion Pancakes (Cong You Bing) by The Humpty Dumpty Kitchen
- Pita Bread by Pastry Affair
Chapatis (Indian Bread) by An Edible Mosaic
Wonton Crackers Recipe by MJ’s Kitchen

From my archives:
Corn Tortillas Made with Yellow Corn Flour
Flour Tortilla

Yummy Pics: A Food Blogger's Guide to Better Photos, Photography eBook by Spicie Foodie

Comments

I’m embarrassed to admit, I own one of those presses and I can’t remember the last time I made homemade tortillas. Sad, huh? Lol. Maybe I will just have to get back in the kitchen and whip some up. Glad everything went well with the host move.
    -Gina-

Another beautiful post..I have never ventured in this area..I will one day..Your tutorial is great..
    the light kit arrived today..and I have set it up..with the help of Youtube:)

It looks like fun for me..And I again thank you very graciously:)
    Your tortilla maker is so unique!

What a great set up with that tortilla press? I love the photos taken in the natural light – it really does bring everything alive and make you feel like you are present in the kitchen. I wish my attempts at tortillas looked this professional.

I want that tortilla press!!! But I’ll have to make do with a rolling pin – I haven’t made tortillas for years but just last month stumbled across a South American grocery store that sells masa harina :)

I have never seen a wooden tortilla press, I have a metal one that I got for Christmas last year. Along with a husband who makes the tortillas for our tacos. Here in Australia I am yet to find good corn flour for tortillas.

Oh, that tortilla press brings back so many memories…My grandmother had a press (A very heavy steel based one with some other material on the inside plates so that things won’t stick on.) which she would use to make Pooris and Chappathis :) I wish I could go back to her kitchen.

The photos are lovely – But that goes without saying :)

Gorgeous Post!!! I love homemade corn tortillas but I haven’t made them in a few years because I can’t find my tortilla press. Looks like I need to buy another one because you have me dying for some homemade tortillas! Thanks for the link to the Amazon page. Very inspiring post in so many ways!

Wow Nancy these look perfect and sound easy enough. We rarely have bread in the house but can’t keep enough tortillas on hand. If I learned to make these I’m sure they’d be better and we’d have an endless supply. How long will these last if refrigerated? Any specific press you recommend or will any of them work?

Hi Vicki! Agreed, you can never have too many tortillas on hand. Ours don’t last more than a week because we go through them fast. But refrigerated they should last up to a couple of weeks. Keep them tightly sealed so they don’t dry out. Any press is good:)

Homemade tortillas are on my list of “must learn to make items”. This is the recipe I will use when I get up the nerves to do it. :)

10. Sherry says

I’m curious if you could add some lime juice to the recipe? I think the flavor would e incredible!
    Living in way-north Alberta :)

11. Sonia says

Thank you for the simple way of explaining every step and showing the pictures. It made me want to make them now and have confidence making them. Thanks

Trackbacks