Birthday Cinnamon Raisin Rolls and A Break

Cinnamon Raisin Rolls from The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Spicie Foodie | #baking #cinnamonrolls #bread #breakfast

Every year as my birthday nears my poor husband must endure the same torture. A week before he starts dropping hints about it in hopes that I’ll give him a firm answer as to what gift I would like this year. Never, in all the birthdays we’ve shared, have I given him a definitive answer of what the gift shall be or where I would like to celebrate my special meal. Its like pulling teeth, the poor man.

I can’t remember the last time I’ve made a big deal about my birthday, it was probably sometime in my early teens. It isn’t that I don’t appreciate him wanting to make the day special for me, because I really do. I really can’t explain why I’m like this, but perhaps it has something to do with me being a shy person — or maybe I’m just a pain in the ass, yes that’s it! (Lol)

Regardless of my annoying birthday habits he always manages to make my day truly special. It isn’t just on my birthday, it is every day that he showers me with love, affection, attention, support, encouragement, and indulges my every whim. Truth be told, I’m a very lucky and spoiled wife. To me all of this is gift enough and the material presents are the cherry on top, cliched as it may all sound.

This year I did give a definitive answer as to what I wanted to eat, cinnamon raisin rolls. But since he believes that a birthday girl shouldn’t have to cook or bake her own b-day meals or dessert, so we comprised on when the baking would take place, these gorgeous rolls were baked last week.

The recipe comes from The Bread Baker’s Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread
cookbook, and it was one I bookmarked last year when I purchased the book. Yep, it’s only taken a year but finally I tested out the recipe. Unfortunately I don’t have permission from the author to publish the recipe, so you should really get a copy. Believe me this is a cookbook you want to own. Plus if you prefer sticky buns to cinnamon buns then you can read Peter Reinhart’s instructions for the recipe variations.

Being an inexperienced baker I followed the instructions to the letter. The only thing I did different is I added more cinnamon than the recipe called for. We are both huge fans of the spice and love these rolls with a strong cinnamon flavour. The results were fantastic! The rolls were soft, moist, warm and the sweet smell of cinnamon filled the house. In all honesty we haven’t tasted rolls this good since we last ate Cinnabon years ago.

For a few days we were waking up to a warm breakfast of cinnamon raisin rolls with a side of coffee or tea. The bad part is that they are all gone now, but in regards to the waistline that’s probably not such a bad thing. Next time I won’t be waiting until my birthday to bake another batch of Mr. Reinhart’s rolls. In fact I can’t wait to bake more.

In celebration of my (34th) birthday and our wedding anniversary next week I will be taking some time off from blogging. In a way it is my birthday gift to myself; a much needed break away from the computer. I plan to mostly stay disconnected (but you can still reach me via email or the contact form above) and catch up on some book reading. Besides that I have no other plans, I’ll just take it one day at a time.

Have a great weekend everyone! I’ll be back with a brand new recipe next weekend….or so.

P.S.
Please go wish a very Happy Birthday to my friend Ramona of Curry and Comfort. We share the same b-day:)  Also I’d like to wish a very Happy Mother’s Day to all the mommies who read this blog.

P.P.S
Here’s The Bread Baker’s Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread, the cookbook where I got the Cinnamon Rolls recipe.

Yummy Pics: A Food Blogger's Guide to Better Photos, Photography eBook by Spicie Foodie

Comments

Beautiful cinnamon rolls! That is such a luscious treat. I made some the other day and they were just heavenly…

Happy 34th Birthday and anniversary! Have a great break. You deserve it…

Have very happy birthday..your rolls look wonderful..Your quotes speak to me..and I am the same way you are..I think when I was in my teens..I was different..
    But for yrs..I am just like you:)
    No big deal plse..a kiss and a hug..and love.
    And Happy Anni..!Your husband sounds dear..
    Thanks again for everything you give us..It’s funny I can accept inspiration wholeheartedly.
    x

Happy birthday, Nancy! I forgot that our birthdays are one day apart :). These rolls would certainly make a heavenly birthday breakfast! Your husband sounds like a gem, by the way. Enjoy your break!

Awwwww!! You are such a sweetheart!! Thank you for thinking of me today and wishing me on the blog post….You are a wonderful birthday twin! :) I know you are as sweet as your beautiful and delicious looking cinnamon rolls. :)

I hope your birthday is filled with wonderful surprises and loads of love and joy. May the year ahead be amazing and full of blessings. Enjoy your break from the blogging world. Happy Anniversary for next week too. :)

Sending you a BIG BIRTHDAY HUG!!!!

Ramona :)

I am not a birthday person either, Nancy. I was probably born that way :D I remember crying on all my birthday parties when I little.

Lovely cinnamon buns. They sure look delicious. Wishing you a very happy birthday, Nancy. Enjoy the much deserved break.

6. Nandita says

Happy birthday Nancy! The rolls look beautiful. Cinnamon rolls seem perfect for the birthday celebration. Enjoy the break :)

Happy, happy birthday, my sweet friend! Both my youngest and my hubby asked for cinnamon rolls today…I think I’ll break down and buy the Breadbaker’s Apprentice…sounds like a cookbook I’ll really love. Perfect treat for your special day.

PS…I saw you wishing Ramona a happy birthday on her blog today…thanks for tipping me off :)

Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary! I remember your last birthday post.. I cannot believe it’s been already a year! :O Enjoy your time off and RELAX! I want to make cinnamon rolls this year (for the first time…). :)

Happy Birthday to you Miss Nancy! I love your birthday treat choice. Hope hubby spoiled you rotten and that you are nose deep in a good book. We will be sitting here waiting by out computers for you to come back!
    Hugs,
    -Gina-

Happy belated B-Day and congrats for this beautiful post!
    The cinnamon rolls look so tempting and the pictures are stunning.
    Have a great time relaxing, looking forward for future posts :)

Awesome way to celebrate your Birthday…Happy Birthday Nancy…the cinnamon rolls look awesome, light and yummy.
    Beautiful photos…as always.
    Have a great week :)

These buns really look gorgeous!

I can imagine how your husband feels, my husband is doing the same to me, I have to interrogate him what he wants for birthday always :)

I know this is very, very late, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY and Happy Anniversary you two! I hope you are enjoying your time off. You certainly deserve it! DElicious looking cinnamon rolls!

Hi Nancy, your cinnamon raisin rolls look absolutely delicious. Very well baked and your photography skill is excellent. Nice presentation.

Have a nice day.

Happy Birthday!! You deserve a break missy! You work hard! I hope you have a fabulous break, enjoy it, every single minute!

These cinnamon rolls look ooey gooey and so Irresistible!

Beautiful cinnamon rolls Nancy!
    A very Happy Birthday to you-I’m so happy to hear that you are a spoiled wife, as you should be;-)

Happy Birthday, Nancy! You are a very lucky lady. My husband is clueless and acts surprised every year when my birthday arrives. Those cinnamon rolls look amazing. I haven’t had one in years, mostly because I’d eat them all!

Nancy, I missed your birthday! A belated Happy Birthday (and Happy Anniversary) to you!!! I understand about taking breaks; I took one very recently and it made a world of difference. Glad you were able to unplug for a bit and enjoy some time off.

Now as for these cinnamon rolls, it’s like you made them for me. :) I’ve been wanting to make cinnamon rolls for weeks but haven’t had the time. I already have this book and I’m embarrassed to say that I’ve yet to try a recipe from it yet. Now I know what the first one will be. Absolutely beautiful!

Thank you so much Jean! Yes, breaks really make a difference — something we all should do more often.:)

Glad to hear you have the book, you’re going to love it!xx