Garlicky Oven Roasted Purple Cauliflower with A Splash of Lemon Juice

Garlicky Oven Roasted Purple Cauliflower with A Splash of Lemon Juice Recipe by @SpicieFoodie | #vegetable #cauliflower

How do you feel about the color purple, or purple with splashes of magenta? What about cauliflower, are you a fan or not so much? I love the color purple and cauliflower is a vegetable I’ve come to really enjoy. So when Mother Nature put these two elements together I felt like they were made for me…and you too of course. Living in a place where the most exotic produce, or even some that many of you consider everyday ingredients, aren’t always available means that when new products are introduced to the local market I don’t miss the opportunity to try them out. Such was the case in this gorgeously vibrant purple cauliflower.

How many of you have already tasted purple cauliflower? I have only seen it in photographs and in person only a few days ago. Honestly I wasn’t sure whether it was a colorful head of broccoli or cauliflower since it was displayed between both and without a sign, it was only after consulting the internet then it became clear.

For the most part the cauliflower is purple but there were specks of magenta and even lighter shades of a pinkish color. The scent was like that of it’s white counterpart, a light cabbage scent. Though the size of the head I purchase was comparable to white varieties stacked alongside it, the weight was considerably less. The purple one felt much lighter and the stalks are skinner and less dense. I loved that the leaves were green and some were purple with sprinklings of green and white along the lines.

When it comes to cooking a new ingredient I am always super excited and very inspired to photograph it. I know there are so many photos in this post but in fact many, many more photos were snapped — I just won’t bore you with all of them.

One of the things I love most about photography is that every once in a while everything falls into place better than you could have imagined it. That was the case in the photo above. As I played around with the leaves and shooting angles I suddenly noticed how the light was falling in that one small section, how it made it seem transparent and glowing at the same time. The shot came out somewhat abstract and the light couldn’t have been better.

I really don’t want to insult you with a typed recipe for roasting cauliflower, but I will share one anyway — incase there are any of you who have never eaten purple cauliflower and would like a little help cooking it.

5.0 from 8 reviews
Garlicky Oven Roasted Purple Cauliflower with A Splash of Lemon Juice

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

How to roast purple cauliflower in the oven. A simple and healthy way of enjoying all the health benefits of cauliflower and garlic. Eat as a side dish or enjoy as a light vegan snack or meal.
Author:
Recipe type: Side Dish, Vegetable
Cuisine: Vegetarian, Vegan, Side Dish
Serves: 4-6
Ingredients
  • 1 head of purple cauliflower (weight was 700 gm or 1.5 lb)
  • 2 tbsp good quality olive oil
  • 1-2 tsp granulated garlic, adjust to taste (I used 2)
  • sea salt to taste
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • fresh lemon juice, optional
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 200c or 390f and line a baking sheet with baking paper or aluminum foil. In a bowl combine the olive oil, granulated garlic, sea salt, and pepper. Remove all the leaves from the cauliflower, cut into small even sided florets and toss them with the mixed oil and spices until well coated. Lay on prepared baking sheet and roast in center of oven.
  2. Total roasting time will depend on the size of florets but they should be roasted until fork tender. I roasted mine for about 8 on one side then flipped for a further 8 minutes. Splash with freshly squeezed lemon juice before serving if desired.
Notes
This recipe and method can be used for white cauliflower as well.

Roasting cauliflower gives it a unique flavour, and if you allow some pieces to caramelize this adds a slight smokiness. The addition of garlic and the splash of lemon juice help bring out extras taste that all really compliments each other so well. My husband and I very much enjoyed eating cauliflower this way, I loved the deep purple color it became after roasting, and will definitely roast both purple and white cauliflower again.

If there is some barbecuing in your weekend plans I think throwing cauliflower on the grill would be great. Have a great weekend everyone!

Yummy Pics: A Food Blogger's Guide to Better Photos, Photography eBook by Spicie Foodie

Comments

That cauliflower is magnificent and your pictures are stunning! Your dish must taste really wonderful. I’m a sucker for anything garlicky.

Stunning is the only word that comes to mind when I see this beautiful cauliflower! I need to keep my eye out for a purplicous delight.

I receive a lot of produce from a local California company, Frieda’s Produce, and they are known for their purple vegetables: cauliflower, asparagus, artichokes, bell peppers… They really are gorgeous, aren’t they? Love the green and purple together!

Gorgeous photos of a gorgeous head of cauliflower! I am glad you shared a good amount of photos and it inspires me to look for the seeds for this plant a little harder.

Oh and don’t feel that you’d insult someone with a recipe for roasting cauliflower! Even the most seasoned home cook may have never done it before and would need a little guidance on the subject :)

It might be great to pair the two … or how about dying white cauliflower with purple cabbage? There’s an idea for a future post.:) Thanks so much Suzanne.

G’day! I LOVE roasted cauliflower too!
    I love the multi-colored cauliflower (especially the purple) and your recipes and photo…used the green and orange one in Roza’s Roasted Red Hot Lover Chilli on my blog should you wish to view!
    I became intrigued not only about the color, but which color was highest in nutritional value and the purple one “may” prevent heart disease…
    Cheers! Joanne

this is so quick to make and is definitely a winner when you want home cooked food with 30 minutes, serve with some pasta salad or soup and you get to have a wholesome, garlic enriched supper,yum :-)

Hi Nancy, your photos are absolutely amazing! I think you could make a photo of a kitchen sink look like art! :-) Your photography really inspires me to up my game. We eat roasted cauliflower regularly and I’m going to be on the lookout for the purple variety at our local farmer’s market. Beautiful post!

I have never tried purple cauliflower, would like to though. I am a cauliflower fan be it in curries or just grilled.
    Your pictures are just stunning. The dish looks perfect. I can’t wait to get my hands on a purple cabbage or purple food coloring;)…

Nancy this is so beautiful. I wish you lived close by so I could take some photography lessons from you. I work best hands on. I guess you’d say I’m a visual learner, maybe that’s why I enjoy teaching so much.

Hi Angela,

I purchased it at my local green grocers, I’ve never seen it at a regular grocery store. Now I would love to find the green or orange one.:)

10. Eha says

One colour. two colour. mixed colour: fun!!!! Well, I have never seen cauli of such depth of hue either, but methinks it is time to go to Oz’ best known organic seeds supplier and see what he can say on the subjcet :) !

I saw on the internet that some of the purple ones are very lightly colored, and others that were even darker or more purplish. So I was very lucky to find such a vibrant one. Have fun and I hope you get them soon.

I am partial to all the photos..After having no power all afternoon yesterday I am catching up on pretty pics:)
    I just pickled some cauliflower..i wonder if the vinegar would bleach this glorious color?
    I love how produce is just so gorgeous on it’s own.

That looks ridiculously pretty. I’ve only ever seen pictures of it too, and I did question whether they’d been photoshopped! Beautiful pics as always x
    Janie x

I think your recipe is much appropriate and appreciated Nancy. No I have never seen a purple cauliflower before, they are soo gorgeous. Purple is my husband’s favorite color and he loves cauliflower. I wish I could get those here. Really surprised I have never seen such a perfect looking veggie. Gotta show your pretty pictures to my mum and she might have an idea where to get seeds for those. =)

Thank you so much Helene, I thought it would be nice to keep it simple and enjoy the cauliflower taste. I hope your mum finds some seeds for you, I would love to grow it too. Unfortunately the sign did not state were it was grown.

14. JC says

You are a not just a photographer, and not just a chef/cook, you are an artist. And a multifaceted one, at that. Not only do you create delicious dishes, but your photography is an art in itself. You even made Salisbury steak look delicious. Stunning. Thank you for sharing!

Gorgeous pictures. I love the color purple, and I love cauliflower. I’ve eaten it before, but almost never see it in the stores – too bad, because I’d love to cook it. This looks terrific – thanks so much.

Wow! I managed a fresh produce market for a decade, but I don’t recall seeing purple caulis! We grow our own regular cauliflowers and I loved them. Beautiful recipe, lovely photos.

This looks so incredibly gorgeous, Nancy! Loved that shot of leaf :) Never had purple cauliflower though. I don’t think we will get them here :(

18. Charlotte says

Cant wait to try this recipe tonight. My husband keeps questioning if I bought a landscaping plant, lol. I assured him I got it from the Cauliflower section at the store. Hope I am right ;P

Trackbacks