Spicy Lemongrass Chicken Noodle Soup

by Spicie Foodie on September 20, 2013

Spicy Lemongrass Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe by @SpicieFoodie| #soup #lemongrass #birdseyechili #thaichili

How did this happen, how did summer come to an end already? How is it possible that this Saturday marks the official start of autumn in the Northern Hemisphere? How are we only 3 months away from Christmas and the end of the year? It’s crazy how fast this year has gone by. Well, we better try to pack in as much as possible before the busy holiday season. Along the way we’ll need hearty nourishment,like this spicy-lemony soup, to keep us energized and warm.

For me one major part of autumn is soup. Though I eat soup year-round, autumn is when soup season really gets rolling in the Spicie Foodie casa.

Ever since I was a little girl I loved squeezing some lime or lemon juice into the warm soups my mother made for us. I loved how as the citrusy liquid touched the broth it turned from clear to a slight cloudiness. I’d dip my spoon for a taste and my mouth rejoiced of how delicious the flavours came together. I still love adding either lime or lemon juice to my soups. The smells transform me to my childhood and it always brightens my heart and tummy.

To celebrate the official start of autumn I made this spicy and lemony soup. It is a twist on a classic chicken noodle soup with elements of Asian flavours to liven it up. There’s also a sprinkling of my childhood memories. And if you’re in a mood for something spicy this will really hit the spot.

Spicy Lemongrass Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe by @SpicieFoodie | #soup #lemongrass #birdseyechili #thaichili

5.0 from 2 reviews
Spicy Lemongrass Chicken Noodle Soup

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

This chicken noodle soup has a sprinkling of Asian flavors to liven up a traditional recipe. A touch of lemongrass and bird's eye chili make this a unique soup you'll love.
Author:
Recipe type: Soup, Lunch, Dinner
Cuisine: American, Asian, Fusion, Thai, International
Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • 1 chicken carcass
  • 1-2 raw chicken breast
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
  • 2 celery stalks with leaves, sliced
  • 1 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 4 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
  • 1 stalk of lemon grass, bruised
  • 2 or more fresh red Bird's Eye (Thai) chilies*, stem removed and pierced or sliced (slicing will make soup spicier)
  • 1 bunch of flat parsley leaves, roughly chopped
  • sea salt to taste
  • ground black pepper, optional and to taste
  • water
  • cooked noodles of choice
Instructions
Broth:**
  1. Place carcass and breast in a large pot with enough water to cover, bring to a boil. Drain and rinse out pot, carcass and breasts. Place the carcass and breasts back in the pot with fresh water and bring to a boil. Simmer until the chicken breasts have cooked through. Reserving the broth, strain to remove the carcass and chicken breasts. Set the breasts and carcass aside to cool.
Soup:
  1. While the chicken is cooling down add all remaining ingredients to the boiled broth. Make sure there is enough liquid to cover the vegetables, and if not add more water. Simmer under medium heat until the vegetables have soften. In the mean time and if the chicken has cooled down enough to handle, shred the breast and pick through the carcass for additional meat, if desired. Taste the broth to make sure a good taste has develop, if not continue to simmer until satisfied. Add the shredded meat to the broth and simmer for a few more minutes, then taste and adjust seasoning before serving.
Serve:
  1. Right before serving place cooked noodles in the bowl and pour the chicken soup over. If desired serve alongside grilled cheese sandwiches.
Notes
*If bird's eye, or Thai, chili is not available use Mexican pequin pepper or chile de arbol. All of these peppers are very spicy so adjust to taste or substitute with a milder option.

**In Asian cookery this step is followed in order to achieve a clear broth. You may skip it if time does not allow.

This soup was really good! It is lemony, a bit spicy, and always makes my belly happy. This time I served it with grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner and a nice change to our regular dinners.

I hope you are all having a great weekend and that you welcome autumn in a fun way. Now let’s hope the winter weather takes much longer to arrive.

Yummy Pics: A Food Blogger's Guide to Better Photos, Photography eBook by Spicie Foodie

in Asian,Chicken,Soups/Stews

1 Rosa September 20, 2013 at 11:16 AM

A comforting and delectable soup! Just what the doctor ordered.

2 Monique September 20, 2013 at 3:03 PM

This is gorgeous..
For some resaon I could not access the radish post..saw it on FG again and it reminded me:)

3 Shema | LifeScoops September 20, 2013 at 3:27 PM

This soup looks so good… Bookmarking it… I am hungry now!

4 Mindy September 20, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I have lemongrass ready in the garden and just yesterday was looking at it thinking it’s time to whip up something yummy with it. This is perfect timing on your part. Sounds delicious!

5 Victoria of Flavors of the Sun September 20, 2013 at 3:49 PM

This soup looks sooooo good. And I Love that photo of the carrot and the fun corn-shaped peeler, which I WANT!

6 Ash-foodfashionparty September 20, 2013 at 5:01 PM

the soup looks so good and your corn peeler..love it.
I know right….what’s happening to time…flying too fast. I can’t believe we have to start getting ready for Halloween.

7 Abbe@This is How I Cook September 20, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I love lemon grass. And Chicken Soup. Together? I’m excited!

8 wok with ray September 20, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Beautiful dish as always. :)

9 Laura (Tutti Dolci) September 20, 2013 at 11:34 PM

I love lemongrass with chicken, what a tasty soup!

10 Joanne T Ferguson September 21, 2013 at 6:48 AM

G’day STUNNING photo Nancy, true!
LOVE your recipe…it your photo says, “MAKE ME NOW!” too! :)
Cheers! Joanne

11 Angie@Angie's Recipes September 21, 2013 at 9:58 AM

A soothing and delicious soup, Nancy. As always, your photos are fantastic.
I wish you a lovely weekend!
Angie

12 Bill September 21, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Hi Nancy, I’m so in the mood for soup and the weather in Atlanta gets a little cooler. This Thai flavored soup looks amazing! I’ve got some lemongrass growing in my herb garden and I’ve been looking for a great recipe to use it in. I’ve found it! Beautiful photos!

13 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) September 21, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I love these flavors – so comforting and delicious!

14 Ramona September 22, 2013 at 1:04 AM

I could have used several bowls of this soup when I was sick with a cold a few weeks back. I adore lemon flavored soups!

15 Suzanne Perazzini September 22, 2013 at 7:20 AM

What a great tasty dish – I love lemongrass as a flavour. Today we have one of our first signs of summer. I went for a walk along the beach and everyone was out enjoying the sun.

16 john@kitchenriffs September 22, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Fall means soup for us, too. And you’ve prepared a lovely one – lemongrass has such terrific flavor, doesn’t it? This is super stuff – thanks so much.

17 mjskit September 23, 2013 at 1:11 AM

What a beautiful soup to welcome in the fall! I’m definitely looking forward to lots of soups this fall and winter!

18 dixya| food, pleasure, and health September 23, 2013 at 6:09 PM

i cant believe summer is coming to an end either but Im kinda excited for Fall and this is when I will be making this gorgeous soup :)

19 Spicie Foodie September 23, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Enjoy the soup and the gorgeous new season.

20 Evelyne@cheapethniceatz September 23, 2013 at 7:27 PM

This is the kind of soup I like to have in fall or winter to pretend it is summer with all the exotic notes. Big fan of lemon grass in soups, it looks awesome.

21 Spicie Foodie September 23, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Yes, that would certainly be a great idea!:)

22 Joanne T Ferguson October 2, 2013 at 9:06 AM

G’day Nancy! With the weather today, I could definitely go for some of your soup, true!
always love your photos…very inspiring, brighten my day too!
Cheers Joanne
Thank you for inviting me to participate in the Sept Round Up ; look forward to Oct!

23 Spicie Foodie October 2, 2013 at 11:39 PM

This soup will warm you right up Joanne! Thank you, glad you joined us and looking forward to your October submission.:)