24 Egg Facts & 12 Ways To Cook Them

by Spicie Foodie on October 10, 2013

24 Egg Facts & 12 Ways To Cook Them by @SpicieFoodie

Eggs, the little ovoid shaped food everyone loves. Everyone loves them, right? I’ve never met anybody that didn’t. Eaten by all peoples of the World in an astounding number of variations. Today I’d like to honor them in this special post with facts and recipe ideas. Enjoy and I hope you pick up a new fact or way to enjoy eggs.

Spinach Pepper Parmesan Frittata by @SpicieFoodie

1. Eggs are honored with a special holiday called World Egg Day, it is celebrated every year on the second Friday in October.

2. It isn’t only chickens that lay edible eggs. Quails, ostriches, duck, geese, pheasant and emu also lay edible eggs.

3. They come in different colors, and it depends on the breed of chicken. They come in brown, white, green, blue

4. The yolk colour depends on the hen’s diet, and they (yolks) are one of the only foods that are a natural source of Vitamin D.

5. Eggs are a high source of protein. Some even believe that they have better quality protein than the one found in meat, according to Cath Macdonald.*

6. A fresh egg sinks in water while stale eggs float. That’s because pockets in the shell become larger as it ages and its yolk shrinks. But all eggs float in salt water.*

Croque Madame by @SpicieFoodie

7. Yes, it is safe to store eggs at room temperature. But if you want to extend their shelf life its best to refrigerate them. Eggs age more in one day at room temperature than in one week in the refrigerator.*

8. The Oxford Companion to Food recommends using less-fresh eggs for hard-boiling because the whites of fresh eggs stick to the shell, making them harder to peel.

9. Apparently eggshells are not only useful as photography models, there are tons of uses for them. Read this article.

10. Humpty Dumpty was/is an egg.

11. Speaking of fallen/broken eggs, if you drop one first sprinkle table salt over the mess before attempting to clean up. It will be much easier to clean up. I’ve done it and it really works.

12. What came first the chicken or the egg? Is a dilema that has confused humans for a very long time.

Pain Perdu or French Toast by @SpicieFoodie

13. Rabbits do not lay eggs. So why the heck are rabbits and eggs Easter symbols? (Is this a fact or question)

14. French brides crack an egg on the threshold of their new homes for good luck in marriage and producing healthy babies.

15. Fabergé eggs are not made with real eggs.

16. Egging is when people throw eggs at houses, cars, or other people. It is not something I have ever participated in — it’s a waste of yummy eggs that I’d rather eat.

17. Egg whites can be used as an adhesive.

18. Once on the radio I heard a woman tell a story about her pet chicken, it was called Dinner.

Classic Egg Salad by @SpicieFoodie

19. Eggplants do not produce eggs nor do they taste like eggs.

20. Century eggs are not actually 100 years old — can you imagine the smell if they were?

21. Some people claim that eggs make them pass gas. I wonder if hens experience the same breezes from down below.

22. When I eat a chocolate Easter egg I feel ripped off by the hollow center.

23. Fact: Cockatiels also lay eggs. Mine hasn’t laid yet. Question: should I be concerned?

24. I do love eggs, I love them from my head down to my legs.

Asparagus Goat Cheese Tart by @SpicieFoodie

And now for 12 ways to cook eggs.

1. How To Boil The Perfect Egg Every Time

2. For Sunday breakfast

3. Croque Madame

4. Ejotes con Huevos

5. Cleo’s Frittata

6. Pain Perdu or French Toast

Baked Custard by @SpicieFoodie

7. Egg Custard

8. Eggnog (Save this recipe for the coming holidays.)

9. Asparagus Goat Cheese Tart

10. Classic Egg Salad

Thanks for stopping by, Happy World Egg to you!

Yummy Pics: A Food Blogger's Guide to Better Photos, Photography eBook by Spicie Foodie

in Eggs,Food Facts

1 Rosa October 10, 2013 at 11:19 AM

A wonderfully instructive post! Great clicks and recipes.

2 Monique October 10, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Such a beautiful post..You made me smile with umpty..
I love eggs!

3 Monique October 10, 2013 at 3:03 PM

UGH..HUMPTY..my H gets stuck:)

4 La Torontoise October 10, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Thank you so much!! I’m a great fan of eggs and egg recipes!!
My favorite is the asparagus goat cheese tarte.
I also love poached eggs and I also do a lot of quiche (very French, very tasty: -)

Have a great weekend!!

5 Lisa October 10, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I love eggs and all the incarnations. Deviled eggs are my favorite item at a potluck or party. I definitely eat way too many of those.

6 Ash-foodfashionparty October 10, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Such an interesting post. We eat eggs everyday.
I hate hate it when blue rings form on the eggs, so there are great tips on this page.
That goat cheese tart, ohhhh yum. Thanks for sharing some great stuff.

7 Juliana October 10, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Nancy, a big thanks for this awesome post and all the links…I sure enjoy very much.
Hope you are having a wonderful week :D

8 Ramona October 10, 2013 at 11:02 PM

What a fun and fact based post. I love the funny facts too.. eggplant… Easter bunnies. LOL!

9 Victoria of Flavors of the Sun October 11, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Another inspiring post, Nancy. And a nice tribute to an indispensable and favorite ingredient (with two non-vegan vegetarians in my house I don’t know where I would be without them). I may just have to make some egg custard right now.

10 JC October 11, 2013 at 1:30 AM

I love that you put all these delicious egg recipes on one post. Love, love, love your photos and your imagination in creating these delectable dishes. Thank you!

11 Joanne T Ferguson October 11, 2013 at 2:20 AM

G’day and thank you for allowing me to learn something new today!
Love stories behind the stories and love your Croque Madame Nancy! :)
Cheers! Joanne

12 Arthur in the Garden! October 11, 2013 at 2:52 AM

Good thing I have Friday off from work- I try some of these! ;-)

13 Betty October 11, 2013 at 4:45 AM

I’m an egg fan myself- my little hens lay two a day. Love your little poem (#24)- I’m feeling the urge to make an egg custard right now. :)

14 Daniela October 11, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Great idea to post these interesting and fun to read facts for world egg day.
The pictures are outstanding, a real pleasure for the eyes!

15 easyfoodsmith October 12, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Great post Nancy and a very help one too. My family loves eggs, in fact we have them everyday and with your inputs and recipe ideas I will be able to serve them variety now. :-) Thanks for sharing.

16 mjskit October 14, 2013 at 5:48 AM

I love this post!!! I laughed out loud at several of the items in your list. I’m with you on #22! Whoever came up with a hollow chocolate egg, doesn’t like chocolate. :) Thanks for a lot of smiles and fun! Great list of egg recipes!

17 Monica October 15, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I think I finally found someone who loves and appreciates eggs as much as I do. : ) Besides chocolate, eggs are my favorite thing. They are pure magic. Your post made me smile and laugh and got me double-checking that I have enough eggs in the fridge! ; )