Portobello Mushroom and Cubanelle Pepper Tacos: A Vegan Take on a Mexican Favorite

by Spicie Foodie on October 13, 2013

Everyone loves tacos. Don’t we? These are perhaps the most well know dish of my birth country. Authentic, or not, the variety of fillings put in tacos is huge and amazing. I love that different people around the world will adapt local flavours to their tacos. And why not, a corn tortilla is the perfect vessel for satisfying your Mexican, fusion, or seasonal craving.

Portobello Mushroom and Cubanelle Pepper Tacos Recipe by @SpicieFoodie | #tacos #vegan #mushrooms #portobellos #cubanellepeppersPortobello Mushroom and Cubanelle Pepper Tacos Recipe by @SpicieFoodie | #tacos #vegan #mushrooms #portobellos #cubanellepeppers

I did not grow up eating mushroom tacos, unfortunately for me. In fact mushrooms weren’t really something that made an appearance on my mother’s menus. We did eat them now and then but never as a main meal, and certainly not as tacos. Other than during lent vegetarian meals were virtually non-existent in my parent’s home — though my mom does make killer chile rellenos year-round.

I’ve always liked mushrooms but this year I can’t seem to get enough of them. Some of you might remember that I really love portobellos, so it was only natural that I use them for tacos. To give the mushrooms more flavour I added a local pepper and some onion. The peppers never have a name on them so I am guessing they most resemble cubanelles. The weird thing is that the spicyness on these peppers varies greatly. Sometimes they are sweet and other times they are spicy. This time they were so spicy that my fingers burned for hours after I had sliced them. The pain was among the worst chile burn pain I have ever had…but it was worth it because the tacos tasted scrumptious! Haha, the pain foodies are willing to endure for a tasty dish.

There really isn’t much of a recipe, but I’m going to share it with you so that you can print it out for your grocery lists.

5.0 from 2 reviews
Portobello Mushroom and Cubanelle Pepper Tacos

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

A fusion take on a Mexican favorite these vegan tacos will satisfy even the carnivores at your table.
Author:
Recipe type: Lunch, Dinner, Gluten-Free, Vegan
Cuisine: Mexican, Fusion, Vegan
Serves: 2
Ingredients
  • 2 large portobello mushrooms, sliced into strips
  • 3 cubanelle peppers, sliced into strips (or sub with a medium spicy pepper of choice)
  • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • olive oil
  • sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
  • corn tortillas
Toppings:
Instructions
  1. Heat the oil and saute the onions until soft. Next add the garlic, mushrooms, pepper, salt and black pepper. Cook until the mushrooms and cubanelle have reached your desired tenderness.
  2. Warm the tortillas and top with the vegetables, jalapeno and avocados. Enjoy!

Have you ever eaten mushroom tacos? These vegan tacos tasted so freaking good! The meatiness of the portobello will really hit the spot and I promise that carnivores won’t miss the meat. You should make them tomorrow for Meatless Monday or check out the archives for more meatless meal ideas.

P.S

Would like a freebie? Do you a little kick with your food? Then request a free sample from Tonguespank Spice Co. They are giving US residents a chance to try out their product. Request your free sample here http://tinyurl.com/njanz2p

Yummy Pics: A Food Blogger's Guide to Better Photos, Photography eBook by Spicie Foodie

in Fusion,Meatless Mondays,Mexican,Tacos,Vegan/Vegetarian

1 Rosa October 13, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Scrumptious! A great idea.

2 Judy @Savoring Today October 13, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Beautiful, as always. We often put mushrooms in our fajitas or tacos in order to use less meat or make room for more guests–portobellos are perfect. And yes, all you need is a little imagination to fill a corn tortilla. :)

3 Angie@Angie's Recipes October 13, 2013 at 5:59 PM

They look so beautiful and delicious!

4 Angela @ Canned Time October 13, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Now that looks just scrumptious Nancy. Do you deliver? He he. Gorgeous pics as always….take care ♥

5 john@kitchenriffs October 13, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Good dish! We ate at a Mexican restaurant recently, and I had mushroom enchiladas for the first time. Tasty! And I’ll bet this is tasty, too. Good stuff. And nice light in your photos.

6 Laura (Tutti Dolci) October 13, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I love portobello mushrooms, I can’t wait to try these tacos!

7 Victoria of Flavors of the Sun October 14, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Although I make portobello and bell pepper fajita tacos often, I have never used quite this combination. Love it. I feel inspired.

8 mjskit October 14, 2013 at 5:54 AM

I’m made portobello burgers, but never portobello burgers. What a great idea! We’re definitely going to be giving this a try because we love tacos in this house. When I saw your peppers, I thought of the sweet peppers I’ve been buying this year. They look very similar. However, mine were sweet. It sounds like yours were VERY hot (this time). Yes, foodies do endure a lot for good food. :)

9 Joanne T Ferguson October 14, 2013 at 10:47 AM

G’day nancy! BIG fan of portobellos too!
Love the angles and lighting of your very expressive photos today too!
Cheers! Joanne

10 Yelena October 14, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Wow! Anything with mushrooms is welcome on my plate! Looks fresh and tasty!

11 Viviane Bauquet Farre - Food and Style October 14, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Gorgeous veggie tacos, Nancy!

12 Rika @ vegan miam October 15, 2013 at 1:43 AM

These tacos look divine – love a bit of spiced portobello mushrooms. I’ve never had cubanelle peppers, are they similar to Italian sweet peppers? I remembered having some yummy vegan tacos in Mexico City – they always serve them with spicy pickled onions.

13 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies October 16, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Oh my gosh, looking at these photos is making me SO hungry. I love mushrooms!

14 Ramona October 16, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I bet those portabella mushrooms gave a great “meaty” texture. Looks great. :)

15 Holly October 17, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Do you make your own tortillas?

I love portobello mushrooms. I wish I could find them here – they are such an adaptable food.

16 Spicie Foodie October 18, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Hi Holly!

Yes, I do make both corn and flour tortillas. But we are lucky that both are available here now, so when I feel lazy (like the day I made these tacos) I just run out for a packet.:)

17 simi November 3, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I would eat these for all three meals, looks gorgeous

18 Spicie Foodie November 3, 2013 at 9:27 PM