How To Make Quick (Raw) Oat Milk and A Few Notes on Oats

by Spicie Foodie on October 18, 2013

How To Make Quick (Raw) Oat Milk by @SpicieFoodie | #vegan #glutenfree #dairyfree #oats #oatmilk #rawfood #smoothie

Hi, hola! Today I want to share a quick recipe for a drink I’ve been really enjoying this past week, homemade oat milk. You can of course purchase it from the the store, but if you make it at home you’ll know exactly what has gone into it. I used to buy it but after reading the ingredients list I was motivated to start making my own. It isn’t exactly as the one I used to buy, but it is healthier and it doesn’t have anything I don’t want in my body.

The recipe is quite simple and I’ll also give you some variations that, though they take a little longer, will add more nutrition and flavours. But before we get to the recipe I’d like to answer a very important question I’ve received regarding oats and oat flour.

Are oats gluten and/or wheat free?

Pure oats are naturally gluten-free, but not always wheat-free. Many oat brands are processed alongside wheat, barley and other grains, and so this contaminates the oats. However, there are some brands that process their oats away from possible contaminates. Here are a few. So, if you need to avoid both gluten and wheat make sure that the oats you buy are certified both wheat and gluten free. Also be aware that not all people with celiac disease can tolerate oats.

Now, let’s move on to the oat milk recipe and variations.

Some commercial oat milk brands add thickeners like sunflower oil, gums, or starches. You will notice that I only used oats and water to prepare the “milk”. My milk is thinner but if being used right away it doesn’t really matter. One variation to my recipe is to cook the oats before blending. The cooking process helps yield a thicker oat milk that won’t, or shouldn’t, separate. Cooking is really up to you and will depend on how much time you have.

Another variation that not only adds thickness to the milk, but also nutrition, is the addition of nuts. This recipe by Joy The Baker use cashews and it looks delicious.

You can add more nutrition to your oat milk, or any other homemade non-dairy milks, by adding some protein powder or fruits — I made a smoothie out of mine to pack in some more vitamins.

4.0 from 2 reviews

How To Make Quick (Raw) Oat Milk and A Strawberry Oat Milk Smoothie

Oat milk is a wonderful alternative to dairy milks. It’s vegan, gluten free, and delicious for smoothies or your morning coffee.
Author:
Recipe type: Drinks, Dairy-Free Milk, Vegan
Cuisine: Vegan, International
Ingredients
  • 1 cup old-fashioned or rolled oats (gluten-free & wheat-free brand)
  • water for soaking
  • 3 cups of water
  • honey, maple syrup, date syrup or brown sugar or any other sweetener, optional
  • cinnamon, optional
  • vanilla or almond extract, optional
  • blender
  • fine sieve or cheese cloth, if straining
Instructions
  1. Place the oats in a large bowl and pour enough water to cover. Allow to sit for 10 minutes. Drain and place in blender. Pour in 3 cups of water and sweetener or additional flavorings if desired. Process until the oats have completely broken down into a creamy liquid. You may add more water if a thinner milk is desired, or less for a slightly thicker consistency. Some people choose to strain the milk through a cheese cloth, I don’t. But if you do make sure to save the ground up oats for baking. The milk will keep in the refrigerator for a few days, but it may separate and need to be shaken before using.

I prepared this batch so I could use it for a strawberry smoothie. I know it isn’t strawberry season but I just had such a strong craving for them. I was also craving summer weather — hence the blue seashell drink stirrer. You can use your favorite seasonal fruit instead of strawberries.

Have a great weekend!

P.S.
Please give our Facebook page a like, thanks!

Give Spicie Foodie a like on Facebook

in Breakfast,Drinks,How To Basics,Vegan/Vegetarian

1 Vicki Bensinger October 18, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Nancy I’ve never had oat milk but it sounds delicious as I’m sitting here eating my morning breakfast of Oatmeal with cinnamon and blueberries. Great tips as well. I’m going to try this. Is there a specific brand that you find makes better oat milk than another?

2 Spicie Foodie October 18, 2013 at 4:17 PM

It is really yummy, Vicki. Since you obviously like oatmeal I think you’ll like oat milk.

The brands I have available here are not ones you’ll find in the states. However, as long as you stick with good quality and either old-fashioned or rolled oats, the milk should come out great. Don’t ever use instant oats.:)

3 Nandita October 18, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Beautiful post as always nancy! The milk looks very wholesome and yum!

4 Rosa October 18, 2013 at 6:28 PM

A great recipe for a healthy and delicious milk!

cheers,

5 Spicie Foodie October 18, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Thanks Rosa!

6 Ash-foodfashionparty October 18, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I have never tasted or made this, it sure looks quite healthy and yummy. I am gonna make this one soon.

7 Spicie Foodie October 18, 2013 at 8:38 PM

You should give it a try, Ash. Thanks:)

8 Daniela October 18, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Very interesting and useful information about oat, Nancy.
After reading how many additions are in commercially prepared oat milk,
I’m convinced it’s much better to prepare it home made.
It’s not complicated at all and so much healthier.
Love the little summer hints for the Smoothie deco :)

9 Spicie Foodie October 18, 2013 at 8:39 PM

It can be scary reading ingredients list on so many foods in the grocery store — there should be stricter laws about it. Definitely, much healthier when it’s homemade. Thank you Daniela!

10 yummychunklet October 19, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Trying this over the weekend!

11 GourmetGetaways October 19, 2013 at 2:38 AM

I will have to pass this page onto my sister for her daughter… she would love this, especially with some strawberries.

12 rika October 19, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I have yet to make raw oat milk, but I’ve been making a lot of raw cashew milk that early summer for my cleanse. They are so good with pumpkin spices! I am craving for a strawberry smoothie right now and it’s morning here in BsAs! The blue seashell drink stirrer is adorb!

13 mjskit October 22, 2013 at 4:00 AM

What an intriguing recipe. Have never heard of oat milk, but I am definitely curious about it. You’re right – it is quite simple to make and something I will be trying. I just purchased a pound of oats, so perfect timing. Thanks Nancy!

14 Tina December 14, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Hello, I just read your recipe for raw oat milk smoothie, sounds delicious.
I have found using raw oat milk on my skin where I get eczema break outs really helps I even use it on my scalp as a pre conditioning treatment before my hot oil treatments.
Wow what a difference.
I just wanted to know if you knew how many days raw oat milk for your skin would be good for?
Thanks

15 Spicie Foodie December 15, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Hi Tina,

Wow, that’s great that you’ve found so many uses for oat milk. I find that making a fine powder from oats and adding them to the bad really soothes dry skin — great for the winter.

As for how many days it keep for your skin, I would say about 2-3. Oats are inexpensive so I think it’s best to keep the milk fresh, or even making it fresh every day.

16 balaji February 17, 2014 at 7:29 PM

thanks for wonderful idea… this makes my breakfast easy and healthy too …

17 Harry March 30, 2014 at 2:13 AM

A few hrs back I invested in a stick blender. The way I have my oats is
1) I make oat flour and then put it in all smoothies made with fruits and nuts. This way it reduces the insulin spike I am told. I add 2/3 of a cup to each 16 oz smoothie.

2) add 2/3 cup of oat flour in 12 oz to 16 oz of water and blend it with nuts.

3) cook 2/3 cup of oats and then add water and blend it. I drink this just straight up. This is only if you don’t like the taste of uncooked oat flour.

I blend with a stick blender. I add the oats flour to soups too. Just find ways to get oats into my system.

I would love to use milk or yogurt instead of water. I have tried them its wonderful. Nowdays I am a student hence use water for frugal living.

18 Spicie Foodie March 30, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Hi Harry! Sounds like you’re doing a great job with the oats and incorporating them into your meals. You know cinnamon also helps in preventing insulin spikes, plus adds a delicious taste.

I’ve used a stick blender a couple of times to grind the oats into flour, but be careful because the motor quickly gets hot and can burn up. Thanks for sharing and keep enjoying your oats!:)