From Prague to Paris to Paradise

by Spicie Foodie on November 26, 2013

Hola amigos! How is everyone doing? Great I hope. I want to apologise for my absence and lack of new recipes, but there is a good excuse. After a couple years of (quietly) planning these past several months have been super busy and exciting for my husband and I. So much has been happening that wow, where do I begin…

Na shledanou Praha!

Prague by @SpicieFoodie

As many of you may be aware, the golden city of Prague (in the Czech Republic) is where I made my home for some years. Living in a fairytale-like city with cobblestones streets, ancient architecture, lush history, a mystical aura, delicious food and kind people is something that I’ll never forget and will always be grateful for. Prague changed my life in so many ways; it is the place where I learned to cook and where my passion for both food and photography blossomed.

A View of Prague by @SpicieFoodie

My puppy is buried there and it is also where our cockatiels had to stay. A big chunk of my heart will forever live in Prague.

With mixed emotions excitement and a touch of sadness, I can finally share with you that Prague will no longer be our home base. It is not goodbye forever, but we are moving on and starting a new life in a new land.

À bientôt Paris!

Paris In The Autumn by @SpicieFoodie

The flight to our new home had a layover Paris, and being that it is our favourite city in Europe, we decided to stay for a few days. Whether you’ve been to Paris or not you know that La Ville-Lumière has a one of a kind vibe that makes you totally fall in love with it.

Over the coming days and weeks I will be sharing photos from our latest stay in Paris. I can’t wait to post it.

Hola paraíso!

Riviera Maya by @SpicieFoodie

And now for the big announcement…we have moved to Mexico! Our new home base is the city of Playa del Carmen on the Riviera Maya, nestled against a white sandy beach with warm-glowing turquoise water, tropical heat, year-round sunshine, sexy bronzed locals (which include a mix of people from all over Mexico, Mayans, and international expatriates) and phenomenal food — oh the food… It is pure paradise!

You of course already know that I was born in, and lived my early childhood, in Mexico. Though I’ve lived in four different countries, in many ways it feels like I’ve returned home. My husband is American and this is the first time he has lived in Mexico — it’s been fantastic watching him devour everything about his new homeland. We’ve been here for only two weeks and there is so much I want to share with you. I want to tell you all about the food, the natural beauty and the welcoming and kind local people.

Our arrival to paradise has my head swirling with excitement and big plans.

Mexican Beach by @SpicieFoodie

So what does this move mean for Spicie Foodie and our loyal readers and followers? Only great things! Now that I have access to an endless supply of authentic Mexican ingredients I can share with you the real taste of my birth country. Along with the traditional recipes from my family and childhood will be my modern take of Mexican cookery. I will continue to also publish the healthy, fresh and delicious world cuisine that I have shared since day one of this blog. There are also many more features that will be introduced over the coming months — you will really love what’s to come.

We have been busy finding a flat (which is a short walk from the beach — can you see my huge smile?), getting our internet hooked up, plus furnishing and putting our new home together. Things are off to a good start and I should have a full functioning kitchen in the weeks to come. While I take care of all of that (and, of course, work on my tan) I will be sharing some yummy international recipes that I cooked before leaving Prague. So please bare with me while I get back into the swing of things.

Sunset on Playa del Carmen by @SpicieFoodie

I’d like to offer a big thank you to all of you who have taken the time to leave a comment and share my recipes and photos this past month; I really appreciate it.

Okay amigos, I’ll be back very soon with a brand new recipe. ¡Hasta luego!

in Announcements,~ musings~

1 Laura (Tutti Dolci) November 26, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Congratulations on your move, so happy for you! :) Looking forward to your upcoming posts from paradise – I’m a bit envious of that gorgeous beach view!

2 Spicie Foodie November 26, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Thank you Laura, I’m super excited to start sharing with you all.:)

3 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) November 26, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Congrats!!! That is very exciting. I can not wait to see the authentic dishes you start to share. I didn’t realize you were in Prague – my husband and I went there early in our relationship and it truly is such a magical city!!

4 Spicie Foodie November 26, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Thank you Alyssa! So you know exactly what I mean about Prague:)

5 LaReesa November 26, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I’M SO JEALOUS TAKE ME WITH!!!!!!!

I hope you enjoy your new adventure, and can’t wait to see your new recipes inspired by the real Mexico you’re no surrounded by :)

6 yummychunklet November 26, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Congrats!

7 Ramona November 26, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Wow! Wow! Wow!! :) I am so excited for you. I know you are going to love living in a land of sunshine and smiles. :) It is sad you had to say good bye to Europe and your beloved birds. :( But I know this new adventure is going to rock your world. :) I wish you and your husband all the best wishes as you take on this new chapter in your life. :)

8 Jean (Lemons & Anchovies) November 26, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Wow, Nancy. Congratulations on the move–we’re on the same continent now. :) I had the pleasure of touring that part of Mexico a few years ago (From Cancun south to Tulum) and stayed in Playa del Carmen for a few days. Loved the culture, people and of course the food. I’m very much looking forward to you sharing the cuisine that is near and dear to you. I had a conversation recently about authentic Mexican food with an acquaintance who is of Mexican descent. I was so hungry after chatting with her (she approved of the Mexican cookbook I had purchased a few years ago). Something tells me that we’re in for even more delicious posts from you. :)

A very warm congratulations again and I’m just a little jealous that you will now be living so close to the water. :)

9 Gina November 26, 2013 at 6:57 PM

How crazy awesome! I thought I was busy the last month, but you my dear get the title for your ordeal. That is a beautiful area, I’ve been there once but way too long ago. My daughter’s friend is getting married in Mexico in October, so maybe I will catch up with you one of these days. I can’t wait to see what is next for you. Wishing you a great tan and much happiness.
-Gina-

10 Joanne November 26, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Congratulations on your move Nancy! This is so exciting for you. All the best and we look forward to seeing what you will be serving up.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Joanne

11 Patty November 26, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Wow! Looks like you’ve arrived in Paradise Nancy! Congratulations on your move and I am excited to see and read all that you share from your kitchen ;).

12 claudia lamascolo November 26, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Wow this is so exciting I am so happy for the both of you… many happy days to you both in this new journey in life! I have been to Mexico many times and love it there! I envy you both starting over its exciting! Good luck and much happiness to you both always!

13 Nutmeg November 26, 2013 at 9:48 PM

And I thought I had a good life :-)

Congrats on the move to paradise. We are waiting with anticipation for Mexican-based recipes!

14 John@Kitchen Riffs November 26, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Wow, huge move! Congrats! You’re going to have a terrific time, and we’re going to be enjoying so many wonderful Mexican recipes. Win win!

15 Kam Ramsey November 26, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Congrats on your move! It’s sure is no place like home. Looking forward to see pics of your new home!!!

16 tania@mykitchenstories.com.au November 27, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Wow how amazing. I was getting worried there for a while I came looking for you a few times. I am embarrassed to say I didnt know you were in Prague anyway , I thought you just kept going there for holidays. Duh..

17 Rosa November 27, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Wow, what awesome news! That is really exciting. Congratulations.

18 Monique November 27, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Exciting!
All the very best to you..Wonderful pics too!

19 Evelyne@cheapethniceatz November 27, 2013 at 9:56 AM

OMG what exciting news. We had our first snow so I kind a hate you a bit for having the beach hihi. Very thrilled for you and looking forward to new authentic recipes!

20 Marta @ What Should I eat for breakfast today November 27, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Beautiful you’ll have so much fun and it must be an amazing place to live in :)

21 Little Cooking Tips November 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Our best wishes on your new beginning back in your homeland Nancy! May your every expectation come true! We ‘re really happy for you!

Greetings from Greece,
Panos&Mirella.

22 mjskit November 27, 2013 at 9:13 PM

How so very exciting!!! When you said Mexico, I knew what that meant – Mexican cuisine! I can’t wait to see what you dish up with the ingredients of your native country. As always all of your pictures are gorgeous and very interesting. I love how you went pictorially and physically from the architecture and ornateness of Prague, to Paris, to the calm and gorgeous beauty of the ocean in Mexico. Great travels through pictures. Thanks!

23 Ash-foodfashionparty November 28, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Congrats on the move. What a beautiful place you are moving to. All the best.
Paris…oh myyyy, as many do, I fell in love with the place the moment I landed. Enjoy.

24 Rika November 29, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Beautiful travel photos, you deserve a break, no need to apologize for your absence. Enjoy, enjoy and take your time! Congratulations with the big move to Mexico, what a pure paradise! We will also be going to Mexico City soon in Feb, we love the city and it will be our 2nd time!

25 Abbe@This is How I Cook November 30, 2013 at 8:16 PM

You lucky girl! Have a wonderful move and a great homecoming!

26 Victoria of Flavors of the Sun December 1, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Congratulations on your move! If you ever come to San Miguel, you must let me know so that I can show you around!

27 Spicie Foodie December 1, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Absolutely, Victoria. We’d love to come see your hometown and have you show us around — thanks so much!:)

28 Manu December 1, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Awww wow! I had no idea! That’s why I haven’t “seen” you around much! I LOVE Quintana Roo! Have fun and don’t miss out going to my favourite city ever: San Cristobal! <3

29 Spicie Foodie December 1, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Yes, that’s why Manu. Thanks for the tip I will have to do some research because we plan on doing some traveling. Will let you know.:)

30 Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.) December 3, 2013 at 5:24 AM

Nancy, so very very excited for you :) Cannot wait to read more about your new home!

31 Spicie Foodie December 3, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Thank you Mardi! xx

32 Vicki Bensinger December 4, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Wow Nancy, I’m just reading todays post and thought I’d stop to see about your move. I too have been so busy with the holidays that I haven’t had much time to browse other sites. I’ve never been to Prague but love Paris and although I’ve never been to Playa del Carmen my son goes there often for a quiet getaway and loves it. Best of luck to you. I hope you got to bring your pup with you.

33 Vicki Bensinger December 4, 2013 at 8:53 AM

OMG I spoke too soon. I’m so sorry I didn’t look at the photo of your dog until after my post above. I’m so sorry. Losing a pet is without question the hardest thing ever. I’m so sorry.

34 Spicie Foodie December 5, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Thank you Vicki! No worries:) xx

35 Nami | Just One Cookbook December 5, 2013 at 12:06 PM

So sorry to be here late, but I’ve read it as soon as I got the email update! Wow!! You guys moved! Congratulations! It’s not easy to move between countries and I can’t imagine all the work you had to do! I don’t know if I can even handle moving within the neighborhood. =P I’m so happy for you guys! Please share lots and lots of pictures of your new home!

36 Honey What's Cooking December 7, 2013 at 4:02 PM

How amazing… from Prague to Playa! I haven’t been to Prague, need to go someday. I went to Playa del Carmen this past year and absolutely LOVED it, it’s one of my favorite spots in Mexico and the Caribbean. I loved Avenida 5 and one of my favorite spots was El Fogon, it’s local food off the beaten bath for like nothing. So SO GOOD!!! Congrats!

37 Spicie Foodie December 7, 2013 at 4:31 PM

You should check out Prague sometime, it is such a beautiful city and lovely people too. We love El Fogon and so many other restaurants.Thanks!:)

38 Laura @ Family Spice December 15, 2013 at 6:20 PM

I am catching up with my favorite blogs and lo-and-behold, you are so close to me in San Diego! What a big change for you, but I know you are so excited to be in Mexico!! Can’t wait for all of the Mexican recipes coming our way. And if you ever make it across the border… Well, you better let me know, Nancy!