Frijoles Refritos: Mexican Refried Beans

by Spicie Foodie on February 19, 2014

Previously I shared my process for making a pot of Mexican beans, today we are going to turn those beans into frijoles refritos. (In case you missed the recipe please read it here.)

First we begin with what the words frijoles refritos actually translate to: The English translation is refried beans, but that is not correct because the beans aren’t actually re-fried or fried twice. (How many of you were wondering why beans would need to be fried twice? Haha!) Let’s break it down frijoles means beans and refritos means well-fried. In English the prefix “re” is used to express an action done twice, in Mexican-Spanish we commonly use it for emphasis. So frijoles refritos actually means very well-fried beans.

Spanish lesson aside just know that you won’t have to fry your beans twice. But please don’t ask me how or who invented frijoles refritos — I don’t know, all I know is that homemade refried beans will rock your world.

Canned vs. Home Cooked
The first thing you need to know about making refried beans is that starting with freshly homemade beans is THE way to go. I know many people like to use canned beans, but if you want the Mexican taste skip the can and reach for the pot. Think of all the money you’ll save too, dried beans are cheaper than canned. My biggest prejudice against canned beans is the tin taste they impart on the dish. You can drain and rinse canned beans but I find that taste lingers regardless. So before we proceed make sure you have boiled some beans.

To Lard or Not to Lard
The second thing we will discuss is the fat used to do the frying. The traditional fat, and the one that gives Mexican refried beans its unique taste, is manteca de cerdo or pig lard. I’ll pause so you can get the eeewwwing out of the way. (Lol) Yes, I know lard is gross and super unhealthy. I prefer not to eat lard but then again I won’t turn down a tamal because it is made with pig lard instead of vegetable shortening. In all honesty lard is not an ingredient I buy or use in my cooking, hence why it is not one of the ingredients listed in this or any of my other recipes.

Anywho!

My preferred fat or oil is olive oil. Yes, I know this is not a traditional Mexican ingredient but it is what I use in my kitchen because of health reasons. You may of course use lard or any other oil you desire. No judgment here. The additional benefit of choosing an oil over lard is that this makes the dish vegan friendly.

Under NO circumstances would I suggest using butter or margarine to make refried beans. I once had the misfortune of tasting the results of that (awful) combination. Ah, the things you’ll eat just to be a good friend. Stick to oil or lard!

Give Those Beans Extra Flavor!
Just as I mentioned in my recipe for making frijoles de olla, here too additional flavourings can vary greatly from one cook to another. You can fry the beans along with some onion, garlic and/or chiles of your liking. Spices like ground cumin, black pepper, or chopped tomato, or even chorizo can be used for an extra boost of flavour! If you cook them with chorizo you can use the oil for frying the beans.  If you have boiled the beans in just water and a bit of salt, I would highly suggest adding some extra flavourings to your refried beans. Experiment until you find the combination your family loves. I personally like to leave in the onion, garlic and epazote that were used to boil the beans, but I always remove the Serrano pepper and instead use a couple/few dried chiles when I’m making refried beans. Again it is all up to your tastebuds.

Frijoles Refritos: Mexican Refried Beans by @SpicieFoodie | #beans #mexican #cookingbasics #refriedbeansTexture
I happen to like a bit of texture in my frijoles refritos, some like theirs smoother. My advice is to mash until you like the texture. Another aspect to the texture is the thinness or thickness of the beans. I’ve noticed that here in Playa restaurants tend to serve their refritos a bit more runny than I’m accustomed to, they still taste delicious though. I think the consistency should be made according to what the beans will be used for. For example, if you’ll be using the refried beans as a side maybe leave them with a thicker constancy; if they will be used to spread over a tostada or bread roll, then I would suggest a medium consistency to make spreading easier. Again, this is just simple advice so feel free to cook until you like the consistency.

If you over-cook or the beans begin drying out then add some of the boiling broth or a little bit of water to bring back to the consistency you want. If the beans are too watery just cook down to thicken up.

4.8 from 4 reviews
Frijoles Refritos: Mexican Refried Beans

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

No more buying awful tasting canned refried beans, you'll love this easy homemade recipe for authentic Mexican refried beans.
Author:
Recipe type: Side dish, legume, vegan
Cuisine: Mexican, Vegan, Vegetarian
Serves: 4-6
Ingredients
  • one batch of homemade pinto beans
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil of choice
  • 2-3 dried chiles de arbol or dried/fresh chile of choice, optional
  • pinch of sea salt if necessary
Instructions
  1. After cooking the pinto beans, drain but reserve about half a cup of the broth. If you'd like you can remove the onion, garlic, epazote and Serrano used to boil the beans, I like to keep the epazote, onion and garlic. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, once it's hot add the dried or fresh chiles and cook just until they brown or begin to blister -- this happens quickly so be ready to proceed. Next add the drained beans -- be careful because it will splash, allow to fry for about 3 minutes. Next add about ¼ cup of the water and then begin mashing the beans until you achieve the desired texture. The broth will help with the mashing and you'll need to add a little bit of the broth to help you achieve the texture you desire. Continue to "fry" for about 5-8 minutes or until they have the consistency you want. Remember to adjust the consistency to your needs by cooking longer to thicken or adding more broth/water to thin out. Taste and add salt if needed. Use as desired.
Notes
•Finely chopped onion and or/garlic may be added to the oil with the chiles and cooked until soften, add the beans after.

•Mexican chorizo can be added for extra flavour if desired. First cook the chorizo through, in the same pan and without discarding the oil cook the onion (if using) and beans.

•Spices such as ground black pepper, ground cumin, achiote, oregano may also be used. Add them as you're mashing the beans.

Congratulations, you’ve now made refried beans like a Mexican! Now you are ready to serve them alongside some tacos or enchiladas, on tostadas or tortas or you can blend leftover refried or boiled beans to make sauce for enfrijoladas. However you choose to eat your refried beans, I hope you enjoy them. Buen provecho!

Yummy Pics: A Food Blogger's Guide to Better Photos, Photography eBook by Spicie Foodie

in Beans/Legumes,How To Basics,Mexican,Vegan/Vegetarian

1 Rosa February 19, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Delicious! Refried beans are so comforting and tasty.

2 Spicie Foodie February 19, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Thank you Rosa!

3 fridamm February 19, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Once again great article,I think you’ve explained the process of bean frying very well, I like the dact that you pretty much leave it to the cook to choose their consistancy and flavours and not just stick with on particular way of doing it. I thinks every recipy should give you some play room I always have a hard time following a recipy to a t ,so this is great. Thanks for sharing all your knowledge with all of us..
P.S PLEASE ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SOMBRERO SO WEKNOW YOU’RE A TRUE MEXICAN :-!!!!!!! :-) love you

4 Spicie Foodie February 19, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Oh, for sure I don’t ever leave home with out mi sombrero! Lol!:) Thank you I’m glad you enjoyed the articles and recipe. I think cooking is a very personal thing and making the processes and results our own is one of the best things about being in the kitchen. Love you!

5 Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today February 19, 2014 at 10:20 AM

I am excited for homemade beans :D

6 Spicie Foodie February 19, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Hehe, we are the same!:)

7 DrJake February 20, 2014 at 9:56 AM

I like to add a little bacon to my refried beans and all the bacon drippings. Not so much bacon as to over power the taste but enough to let one know that it is there. I cut the bacon into very small pieces and it adds some texture to final product. I agree that making beans from scratch is the only way to go.

8 Spicie Foodie February 20, 2014 at 6:10 PM

That sounds fantastic! I haven’t tried it but would love to, thanks for sharing.

9 Joanne T Ferguson February 20, 2014 at 7:43 PM

G’day and YUM Nancy! I could go for some of these right now!
Looks delicious and love authentic refried beans!
Cheers! Joanne

10 Spicie Foodie February 20, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Hi Joanne! Thanks and hope you can give them a try!:)

11 Carmen February 20, 2014 at 8:07 PM

I like my frijolitos with a spicy kick. I fry chopped fresh jalapeños with my frijoles. For a milder spice, mi mami uses banana peppers. Both are delicious with chips and queso fresco. Provecho!

12 Spicie Foodie February 20, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Hola Carmen,

I love your spicy frijoles and yes banana peppers with them taste fantastic. Gracias y provecho a ti tambien.

13 Frank @Memorie di Angelina February 20, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Yum! I love love love refried beans. And, yes, I use lard to cook them. Gives such a special flavor. Does that make me more Mexican than you? Maybe we should ask your small time lady reader? ;=) Actually, I did read somewhere that lard is not as bad for you as people say, but to each his own. Who could say no to olive oil? Not me, of course!

14 Spicie Foodie February 20, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Haha, for sure Frank you are more Mexican than me.:) We love using olive oil for it’s anti-inflammatory properties otherwise I think lard would be a once in a while ingredient in my kitchen. Gracias amigo!

15 sippitysup February 21, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Yes to lard(occasionally). GREG

16 Spicie Foodie February 21, 2014 at 2:25 PM

I agree, Greg!

17 Gourmet Getaways February 21, 2014 at 5:34 PM

LOL!
Ariba ariba hehe, the story made me laugh, love the recipe, I adore bean dishes. YUM!

18 Spicie Foodie February 21, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Thanks Julie:)

19 Asmita February 22, 2014 at 6:59 AM

Absolutely delicious! Beans are one of my favorite dishes and yours looks so good!

20 Spicie Foodie February 22, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Thank you Asmita!

21 Ramona February 23, 2014 at 6:51 AM

One of my son’s favorite ways to eat beans is refried. He would do a back flip for these. :)

22 Spicie Foodie February 23, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Hehe, maybe his mom can treat him sometime;) Thanks Ramona!

23 mjskit February 23, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Love this post Nancy! Here in New Mexico you get frijoles refritos made thick and thin and most always with lard. I do always eat them when they come on the plate because I love them. However, at home, I’d rather not use lard so thanks for all of the great information on how to make these at home, but more healthy! Gotta love those people who write and tell you you’re doing something wrong. :) I always find it rather amusing because it’s like there is one and only one way to make a dish! NOT!

24 Spicie Foodie February 23, 2014 at 8:34 PM

We are the same MJ! Lol, I don’t let those kind of emails get to me.:)

25 rika@vm February 24, 2014 at 10:57 AM

I love that the recipe doesn’t involve lard – so simple to make refried beans, yum!!!!!

26 Spicie Foodie February 24, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Thank you Rika, it’s vegan so perfect for you.:)

27 Bill March 1, 2014 at 6:48 PM

As much as I love Mexican food, I’ve never made refried beans. Your recipe looks so simple and delicious! I’m drooling now for Mexican food. Great post, Nancy!

28 Spicie Foodie March 4, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Thank you Bill, I hope you give them a try sometime.:)

29 Liz March 4, 2014 at 9:48 PM

“Side story for you: I once received hate mail from a self described “small town American woman with some knowledge of Mexican food” basically calling me a fake Mexican because I don’t use lard in any of my cooking. Since she obviously knows more about being Mexican than I do, next time I won’t forget to carry a packet of lard along with my sombrero, tequila bottle, leaf blower and burrito as I’m running and yelling “arriba, arriba!!”. ”

LOL OMG, girl. People be CRAZY. I have ZERO problem with people sharing their traditions and their version of something but not in a dogmatic, unyielding manner. Different strokes for different folks, right? :) Thanks for sharing the story; I needed a good laugh. :)

30 Spicie Foodie March 4, 2014 at 11:37 PM

So true Liz! Thanks and glad it gave you a laugh too.;)

31 steve April 19, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Your comments about Lard hit a nerve. I grew up in the Southwest amidst some of the most delicious Mexican food one could ever consume. Later I traveled and worked around the world always anxious about where my next Mexican meal would be found, and that was almost always when I traveled back to the southwest. When posted back to California for a large company, my wife and me traveled to Mexico City to visit good friends. I was utterly surprised at the different flavors there, delicious, but so different from the Sonoran Cuisine I was used to. I’ve grown used to all the different flavors from all the regions of Mexico and with it the love of variations in cooking to bring out every imaginative flavor possible. Thank you, your website is incredibly creative.