** Submissions to February’s YBR round are now being accepted. Add your recipe’s photo and link here http://www.spiciefoodie.com/ybr/ybr-signup-temporary-page/. Remember the winner’s blog will be featured on my sidebar for a whole month!**
I’m really excited to share this recipe with you today. This is one of my absolute favorite breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner. Seriously, I could eat it at any hour of the day.
By now you must be wondering how this scramble is made eggless…it’s made with tofu. Wait, wait, before you go running off please hear me out. I know there are many people who shudder at the thought eating tofu. While I’m not repulsed by it, it also isn’t something I like to eat often. But this recipe could totally change that.
Hopefully there are a few of you still reading this and whom I can talk into trying a tofu scramble. I’m not sure when I heard of using tofu in place of egg for scrambles, all I remember is falling in love at first bite. The tofu texture becomes light, airy, and resembles scrambled eggs remarkably well. It can easily fool you into not noticing the difference. In fact I had my husband, who doesn’t care for tofu, take a bite without letting him know what it was and he didn’t catch on. (muahaha!)
Adding ground turmeric to the tofu gives it the same color as eggs, not to mention adding extra flavor and health benefits too. The thing I love most about this dish is that just about anything can be added. My favorite ingredients to scramble in are tomatoes, onions, jalapenos (or any other chiles), and mushrooms. But really anything you would combine with eggs can be added to this scramble. It’s also perfect for using up extra vegetables or enjoying what’s in season. Okay, here’s how I make my scramble.
- 200 gram or 7 oz pack of firm tofu, drained
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-2 jalapenos or 1 small green bell pepper, finely diced
- 5 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato,finely diced
- ¼ tsp. ground dried turmeric
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1-2 Tbs. olive oil
- bread or toast to serve
- Prepare all of the vegetables and have ready for cooking before beginning. Drain the tofu as best as possible, squeezing it if need be. Using a potato masher or back of a fork, crumble/smash the tofu into even chunks. (They should be coarse like regular scrambled eggs.)
- Heat the oil in a large pan and once heated saute the onions until they are soft about 4 minutes. Next add the garlic, pepper and mushrooms, and saute until the peppers begin to soften. Next add the tomato and add all of the spices into the pan, allow to cook for a couple of minutes. Next add the crumbled tofu to the vegetables. Stir all of the ingredients well to distribute the turmeric evenly. Continue to stir until the tofu absorbs the turmeric and changes color. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired. Serve with or on your favorite bread.
The scramble is extremely easy and relatively fast to prepare. And the smells as the ingredients are cooking are amazing! I hope you can put your tofu dislike aside and give the scramble a try — if not you can use egg in it’s place. But come on doesn’t that ↓ just look so good?
Served on top of country style bread, some fruits or vegetables on the side, a cup of cafe con leche (coffee with milk), a bottle of hot sauce, and this is my dream breakfast!
What is your favorite breakfast?
Check out these real egg recipes: The perfect hard boiled egg, every time!, Classic Egg Salad, Asparagus Goat Cheese Tart, Pain Perdu or French Toast, Untraditional Croque Madame or French Ham, Cheese and Egg Sandwich