As the sun peeked out from behind the clouds I made corn tortillas.
- 2 cups masa harina*
- 1¼ cup water*
- tortilla press
- plastic sandwich bag
- griddle or large pan
- Heat the griddle or pan over medium hight heat. Line the tortilla press with the plastic sandwich bag. Make sure the bag is large enough to overlap the press. Mix masa harina with a little bit of salt. Make a well in the center and gradually add water until the dough comes to a spongy wet consistency. Divide the dough into equal sized balls, about 14-16.
- Place one of the dough balls in the center of the press, and press down to flatten. Gently peel the tortilla away from the plastic bag and place on griddle/pan. Cook until small blisters begin to form, about 1 minute, flip and cook for another 40 seconds or until cooked through. Keep the cooked tortillas covered to prevent from drying out.
- Repeat step 2 until all of the tortillas have been cooked.
Masa harina and tortilla press can be purchased here.
By the time I was finished cooking my tortillas the sun had retreated back behind the clouds. Thankfully my photography lamp kit saved the day!
More flat bread recipes:
– Chinese Scallion Pancakes (Cong You Bing) by The Humpty Dumpty Kitchen
– Pita Bread by Pastry Affair
– Chapatis (Indian Bread) by An Edible Mosaic
– Wonton Crackers Recipe by MJ’s Kitchen