Happy Sunday and a very Happy Father’s Day to all you wonderful dad’s around the world. Today I will be sharing a one pot dish that is comfort food in my home. Now just because it’s comfort food it doesn’t mean it has to be fatty and unhealthy, this dish is light and all the fresh ingredients make it quite healthy. The main component is pearled barley, have you ever eaten it or cooked it? I absolutely love barley! Its firm, fluffy, soft, absorbs flavours wonderfully, and cooks fast too.
Over the past few years I went from never having eaten barley to eating it at least once a week, nowadays it’s less often than that but I still enjoy it very much. Plus I love that where I live I can purchase an organic 500 gm bag for under 2 USD — that’s a super bargain. I’m sure this is a grain that is inexpensive every where so you too should enjoy the bargain. You can purchase some here.
This recipe is one that I shared way back when I first started this blog. But at the time I had like two readers and feel that this scrumptious and easy recipe did not receive the attention it so deserved, and so I’m sharing it with you again with a few new variations. Here’s how you prepare this yummy meal!
- 1 cup or 200g uncooked pearl barley
- ¾ lb or 340g lean steak or beef cut of choice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup or 115g button mushrooms (either fresh or canned, if canned rinsed)
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, sliced lengthwise
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced lengthwise
- 2 cups or 500 ml low salt & no MSG beef broth, more if needed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp each of salt and black pepper, adjust to taste
- 1.5 tbsp sweet or smoked paprika, more if desired
- 1 or 2 dried red chiles, optional
- Pick through and rinse the barley. Place in a bowl and cover with water, set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick pot or pan. Saute the onions until soft then add steak and cook through. Add the mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes then add the garlic and bell pepper slices, cook a further 3 minutes. Add all of the spices and mix well. Drain the barley and add to the pan then pour in the beef broth. Cover and simmer until barley has fluffed up and softened. Make sure to stir now and then. If the liquid has been absorbed and the barley is still hard mix in a little bit more broth.
- Serve with your favorite green vegetable on the side for a complete meal.
The results are a wonderful taste of paprika that permeates the steak, peppers, mushrooms and barley deliciously! The ingredients and process is so simple but the smells and flavours are so enticing, you might want to double the recipe.
I love pears, don’t you? They make a great in-between meals snack or even dessert.
Have a great Sunday everyone!