The other day at the market I found this gorgeous giant grapefruit. What stood out most was that vibrant orange and reddish hue on the skin. (Typically the grapefruits I find here are either a pale orange, almost borderline yellow tone, or the occasional green colored ones.) The large size is another factor that made this one stand out, it was nearly the same size of a Pomelo fruit. Upon picking it up the sweet smell confirmed it was indeed a grapefruit. Unfortunately the store’s sign didn’t specify neither the origin or variety of grapefruit, regardless it came home with me.
The near perfection of this fruit told me I must photograph it and share it with you. Not knowing what to expect when I peeled it, I was pleasantly surprised by the beautiful, bright, pink color inside. The taste was sweeter than normal grapefruits, and each segment was so juicy that each bite was difficult to keep from running down my fingers and hands.
When I eat grapefruit I like to limit the bitterness by eating as little of the pit and skin as possible. I first peel it, pull away a little segment, then peel away the skin in the segment to reveal the juicy bits inside. The taste is sweeter with a hint of typical grapefruit tartness.
After I ate nearly halve of this giant grapefruit I took to the internet to do some research. It turns out this grapefruit variety is called Ruby Red. Apparently these red, or pink, grapefruits are milder and sweeter than the other types. I certainly hope I can find them again because I prefer the taste of these to the yellow and with varieties.
Grapefruit Health Benefits
Many people associate grapefruits with a healthy breakfast and waistline. Below are some grapefruit health benefits and information that my research yielded.
– high in Vitamin C, great for fighting off a cold, flu and sore throats
– high in calcium, folic acid, phosphorus, and potassium
– a certain compound in grapefruits held reduce cholesterol
– safe for diabetics, grapefruits help reduce starches and sweets in the system.
– helps promote digestions by increasing flow of gastric juices
– it is said to help promote sleep and alleviate insomnia
– pink and red varieties are said to fight tumors and have strong antioxidant properties.
– prevent kidney stones
– protect against colon cancer
– In a study, the bioflavonoids found in grapefruit was discovered to even halt cancer cells from spreading in breast cancer patients, by ridding the body of excess estrogen.
– grapefruits are widely used in weight loss diets because it is believed they containing a fat burning enzyme.
– grapefruits are low in calories and high in fiber
Grapefruit Side Effects
Though generally grapefruits are thought of as healthy and safe for consumption there are a few side effects that everyone needs to be aware of. In large quantities grapefruit can have unhealthy side effects, so if you’re on the “Grapefruit Diet” do consult your physician. If you don’t consume them often then there is really no need for concern.
– Grapefruit interacts with many medications, like the effectiveness of contraceptives, antibiotics, cholesterol medications…etc
– They can also reduce the effectiveness of some drugs, and exacerbate the side effects of others. For a full list read this article.
– grapefruits can contribute to blood clots
– in large quantities they can contribute to stomach upset and nausea.
– Due to it’s acidic nature, grapefruits can overtime wear away tooth enamel.
Now that you know the good and bad about grapefruits, you should also know these yummy ways of enjoying an occasional grapefruit treat. As you will see grapefruits are not just a breakfast food.
– Grapefruit & Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe by Chasing Delicious
– Broiled Grapefruit Recipe by Never Enough Time
– Grapefruit Margarita Recipe by Sweet Life
– Grapefruit, Avocado, and Shrimp Salad with Balsamic Reduction by The Kitchen Paper
– Earl Grey and Pink Grapefruit Tart Recipe by Tartine and Apron Strings
– Grapefruit Honey Curd Recipe by Kitchen Simplicity
– Marinated fennel and grapefruit salad recipe by Five and Spice
– Citrus Beef Skewers Recipe by Tara’s Multicultural Table
– Grapefruit Beer, have you tasted it?
Or of course, you can always just enjoy a juicy grapefruit all it’s own.
Come back on Friday I have 2 giveaways!!